Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Boller is Starting Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Good lord you are all over the place.

McNair played like crap in Cincy. He is not scoring TDs for this team and it's a huge problem.

McNair is also not 100% and it's clear as day. He's not stepping into his throws. He's basically throwing flat footed. Im sorry if you don't see it. Im beginning to think you just refuse to admit it.

He's not the same as last year. Period.

PP
    It's not that I refuse to admit it, it's just that he did all of those things regularly LAST year also...we just forget about them because they were so long ago, and most of the time (13 out of 17 games) we came out on top.

Let's put it this way...I didn't see anyone complaining that he wasn't "stepping in to his throws" against Arizona, yet, he was throwing the same way. No one steps in to their throws in the face of a monster pass rush.

I really think you should watch a replay or a tivoed version of the Raiders game last year (or for that matter, the Colts, Broncos, Chargers or Browns games). You will see all of the same things that you comment on now.

He throws off his back foot a lot. He holds on to the ball for a long time waiting for something to open up. He's more than willing to throw to the safety valve. When he stands back there, sometimes he does throw flat footed and sometimes he doesn't step in to his throws. It's how he was all of last year, and, to be quite honest, how he was most of his career. Problem is now, there's just a lot of throws he can't make.

And it's not because of his groin.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    It's not that I refuse to admit it, it's just that he did all of those things regularly LAST year also...we just forget about them because they were so long ago, and most of the time (13 out of 17 games) we came out on top.

Let's put it this way...I didn't see anyone complaining that he wasn't "stepping in to his throws" against Arizona, yet, he was throwing the same way. No one steps in to their throws in the face of a monster pass rush.

I really think you should watch a replay or a tivoed version of the Raiders game last year (or for that matter, the Colts, Broncos, Chargers or Browns games). You will see all of the same things that you comment on now.

He throws off his back foot a lot. He holds on to the ball for a long time waiting for something to open up. He's more than willing to throw to the safety valve. When he stands back there, sometimes he does throw flat footed and sometimes he doesn't step in to his throws. It's how he was all of last year, and, to be quite honest, how he was most of his career. Problem is now, there's just a lot of throws he can't make.

And it's not because of his groin.
    Sigh.

OK man.

This obviously isn't going anywhere.

You think he's healthy. I don't.

Im just gonna leave it at that.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Sigh.

OK man.

This obviously isn't going anywhere.

You think he's healthy. I don't.

Im just gonna leave it at that.

PP
    I know you argue with me a lot, but I actually think you are one of the most even headed and knowledgeable posters out here...a breath of fresh air from all the trigger happy morons who have no clue how the game or the business of NFL football works.

But I really wish that sometime you would sit down with me and watch a replay of any one of those games that I listed, you'll see, this is just how McNair is (or at least was last year).

To clarify what I meant about the Cincy game...from a turnover perspective, he played poorly, but that had nothing to do with the groin injury, IMO. He was stepping in to his throws and was as authoritative as I'd seen him (until the last INT that bounced off Mason, but that also easily could have been a reception or a plain incompletion) in a Ravens uniform. I was actually watching the game and pleasantly surprised by how he looked, because, to be honest, I expected to see him play the way he played in Clev. and San Fran, since that was how he had played most of last year.

Wink Re: Boller is Starting Sunday

Not all of the turnovers were necessarily his fault either.
    :grbac: Of course! let's blame Billick ... or Boller.

If you think that was the worst performance by a Ravens QB, you have a very, very short memory.
    Oh really? Please refresh our memories: which other Ravens QB had 5 turnovers in a game, most of which led to opponent scores?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    :grbac: Of course! let's blame Billick ... or Boller.

Oh really? Please refresh our memories: which other Ravens QB had 5 turnovers in a game, most of which led to opponent scores?
    Who cares? Just because he had the turnovers doesn't mean it was a terrible game by him. Let's review the Ravens turnovers that game that were fluke-y and unlikely to happen on a normal basis:

1) Missed hand off between McGahee and McNair...hasn't happened again.

2) Rookie fullback fumbles on the next possession.

3) Ball bounces off of Mason and is intercepted. At the very worst, that's normally an incompletion or at LEAST the defender is touched down by contact 40 yards further back, which would have made a world of difference.

4) BOLLER'S pass is bounced off of Heap's chest and intercepted by a lineman.

McNair had 1 bad interception and a pretty bad fumble, but those things happen from time to time. I'm not a McNair apologist, either.

Let's put it this way, we were a bad call away from having that game go to overtime. If we won the game you wouldn't be saying it was the worst QB performance in Ravens history, which is pure idiocy when you think about some of the clowns that played QB for us...Zeier, Case, Wright, and Redman (his game in St. Louis I think takes the cake, if not Case's Thurs night game against KC).

I would go as far to say that not only was it not even close to being the worst Ravens QB performance ever, but it wasn't even McNair's worst performance AS a Raven...

Do you think Tony Romo's performance on Mon night was the worst QB performance in Cowboys history? After all, he had SIX turnovers, almost all of which lead to points for the bills.

His passes look exactly how they looked last year, though. Seriously, go back and watch a game from last year, you'll see it.

I'm not a big stat guy, they don't measure everything...the whole lies, damned lies and statistics thing...but statistically he is better at this point than he was last year at this same point.

Furthermore, his throws floated and sailed high LAST year.

It's easy to forget how dreadful he was in certain games, because the team finished 13-3, but he was god awful against Oakland, Cleveland, and San Diego early on, looking a lot like he does now, and the team got away with it because of very fortunate plays by the defense, which isn't happening this year.

He had a nice drive at the end of Clev and SD last year, but he played like crap all game before that...and for the sake of apples to apples, he actually probably played better in Cleveland this year than he did last year. Remember, it took a matt stover 54 yarder to win that game.

McNair acted as a caretaker last year, which was fine because the defense was literally dominant. Now that the D doesn't dominate, they're just plain good (again, not a bad thing, but they are a step down from last year, as to be expected), you need the QB to actually make plays. McNair didn't do it early on last year, and he hasn't done it early on this year.

Seriously, though...go back and watch one of those 3 games (Browns, Chargers, Raiders) from last year and tell me he doesn't look the same... the groin thing is blown way out of proportion.

I dont completely agree with you. I think the difference this year is when he is bad. In the redzone and at the end of the 2nd and 4th. Last year he was more of a game manager. He didn't put the defense in bad situations. Part of the reason I think our defense is only good this year.

This year he has been down right terrible. I can only think of three drives this year where he played at the "standard" level.

Going with Boller Sunday is the smart choice. McNair is not 100% and its affecting his play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    But Mcnair's "wear and tear" is directly related to the amount of injuries he has had over the last 8 or 9 years. When we signed him he was not the same QB we were used to seeing on the field. He will NEVER be the same. He was not the greatest QB we have ever seen last year, to be honest it was like watching Dilfer out there, it was a vet who knew how to manage the game. The Air Mcnair we were hoping to get died years ago when he sustained his 101st injury. I really hope that Mcnair has helped Boller enough to make him a decent QB now, because all he really needed was a true vet to teach him and that is why we really signed Mcnair.
    You can't be serious? Are you? The same as Dilfer? Last year? WTF?:insane:

BTW, kudos to Camdenyard for his source, who reported that Boller would definitely start in spite of the game-time decision propaganda that the Ravens were spouting. I generally take these message board inside tips with a healthy dose of skepticism, but this source seems pretty reliable.