Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Competition for Wenning

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Attachment 2602Attachment 2603Attachment 2604Attachment 2605Attachment 2607Attachment 2606

Draft picks are golden. The Ravens have been an annual contender by judiciously drafting.

3rd string QBs who would likely never suit up are not. I couldn't envision Ozzie wasting the pick on a QB with so many other areas needing re-stocking, DBs & TEs particularly. Vet minimum is the only option which makes sense.
    Lets see - the Ravens have "wasted" draft picks on 2 Codys, a Kindle, an Elam, a Dickson, a Mellett, a Marc Anthony, and countless others who have never even "sniffed" the roster. To isolate Wenning as a waste of a draft pick is to overstate his relevance and to understate the magnitude of Ravens capacity to select clunkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    Lets see - the Ravens have "wasted" draft picks on 2 Codys, a Kindle, an Elam, a Dickson, a Mellett, a Marc Anthony, and countless others who have never even "sniffed" the roster. To isolate Wenning as a waste of a draft pick is to overstate his relevance and to understate the magnitude of Ravens capacity to select clunkers.
    Every team has their misses -- the Ravens far fewer than most.

It has yet to be proven that Wenning is a bust. All we know is what little we saw of him in camp last year. But some players actually do improve. If Wenning ends up spending one year as the Ravens backup QB, he was worth the low pick we spent on him. If he hangs with the team for a few years on the PS and is able to provide meaningful practice reps for his teammates, then he was worth the low pick.

The chances of him ever becoming a solid NFL QB are slim. But that is true of just about any player taken with the 194th pick at any position. The 6th and 7th rounds are where you find some guys that you take a flier on and hope they are able to contribute in some small way to your team somewhere down the line.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    Wenning? I didn't see any discussion of "isolating Wenning as a waste of a draft pick ". The discussion was about drafting another QB to compete with Wenning. Here's a refresher from the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Do you think we will draft a QB? This is a year I could see them taking a mid-round flyer on a guy.
    btw: I'm surprised that no one is espousing inviting Tyrone back to camp. Assuming that there's no interest elsewhere in the NFL, he knows our system and doesn't have much NFL age on his body after 4 years of riding the pine. I don't think that he would get any better, but not likely to regress. My preference would be to kick the tires on a minimum wage vet to compete with Wenning. If no other vet appears, I would sooner have a Wenning-Taylor competition than expend a draft pick on yet another backup QB who will watch Flacco start all games for the 8th straight season.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Every team has their misses -- the Ravens far fewer than most.

It has yet to be proven that Wenning is a bust. All we know is what little we saw of him in camp last year. But some players actually do improve. If Wenning ends up spending one year as the Ravens backup QB, he was worth the low pick we spent on him. If he hangs with the team for a few years on the PS and is able to provide meaningful practice reps for his teammates, then he was worth the low pick.

The chances of him ever becoming a solid NFL QB are slim. But that is true of just about any player taken with the 194th pick at any position. The 6th and 7th rounds are where you find some guys that you take a flier on and hope they are able to contribute in some small way to your team somewhere down the line.
    This IMO is a very sensible viewpoint. Not every draftee becomes a star, or even a regular on the 53 man roster. As of now, Wenning has a contribution to make as a practice QB, perhaps a back-up in 2015 (?) He cost the Ravens virtually nothing, but does supply a function (albeit non-productive come game time). Let's see what management thinks about him and TTaylor. Doubtful both are Ravens this year... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Josh McCown, Jimmy Clausen, whatever: they have to accept the vet minimum contract to play with the Ravens. There is absolutely no room for a vet QB making decent money.
    That won't happen with McCown. He's proven he can actually play the position. If McCown was on the market he'd get some offers.

6. Re: Competition for Wenning

Tyrod can mimic scrambling QBs better than anyone else we currently have, since that's what he is himself.
    When the Ravens are about to go up against a Wilson, Newton or Kaepernick, that's when Tyrod's true value to the team is shown.
    If Tyrod is willing to come back cheap, then he's still the guy unless Wenning, Renner or whoever is significantly better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I am higher on him than I was initially. Accuracy is certainly there. the shoulder injury wasnt his throwing arm so im curious why Denver didnt try to keep him on a futures contract, especially with Manning in limbo.
    They spent a fairly high pick on Brock Osweiler and they also drafted Zach Dysert last year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That won't happen with McCown. He's proven he can actually play the position. If McCown was on the market he'd get some offers.
    Maybe, but he has only ever looked decent in Trestman's offense for just a handful of games. He was bad last year for Tampa.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Tyrod can mimic scrambling QBs better than anyone else we currently have, since that's what he is himself.
    When the Ravens are about to go up against a Wilson, Newton or Kaepernick, that's when Tyrod's true value to the team is shown.
    If Tyrod is willing to come back cheap, then he's still the guy unless Wenning, Renner or whoever is significantly better.
    To me that's why you'd sign a scrambling QB like that for the practice squad. They can still practice and do all that, but without being your actual backup QB on game day.

The Ravens know this. For whatever reason, they like Tyrod as the backup. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. I like the guy, but I really don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Wow. Three or four years of Tie-rod, and it never occurred to me that his main value was not as backup QB, but as scout team guy when we're about to go up against RG3 or similar.

Is there a "mind: blown" emoji?

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    1) a failure to be ready when given a chance in his first start against Cincinnati

2)Ultimately, it was an Eddie Haskell routine that the Browns should have spotted.

“During the draft process, not one person interviewed by the team said he was going to grow up,” a source directly involved in the drafting of Manziel told ESPN.com. “You can’t blame Johnny. This is who he is. The team knew that.”

3) It came to a head for the Browns on the final weekend of the regular season, when he didn’t show up at the facility on Saturday morning for treatment. Per the report, team security went to Manziel’s apartment and found the player “drunk off his ass.”
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎