Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

9.5 point favorites?!?!

I think Im going to catch hell for this post ....

I just dont see us beating the Rams by this much. Yeah, its a home game and we need to rebound game. And yes, the Rams are downright dreadful. I get all of that.

Two reason why we wont cover this ...

One, we are banged up to all hell. Yes, the Rams are just as banged up but their rush defense is not as bad as their present ranking (21st) and if we cant push people back, look for McGahee to not be as effective in previous games.

Two, we have a a chance to exploit the long pass ... if we only had a QB that could throw long or a coach that would actually call a pass play over 10 yards!!! Mason COULD have a break out game on Sunday and thats the frustrating part in all this. Put Boller in and we go deep; leave McNair in and we continue with this dink-and-dunk stuff. And, by the way, the Rams LB's are not THAT bad. They can hold their own if we stick to short dump offs.

Ravens win a close one, but not by 9.5

Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

I dont think people are exactly beating down their bookies door to get their bets in for this one. It's a spread intended to entice action.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

I never take the point spread seriously, or as an indication of how much better than one team another team is.

I never bet on the Ravens but it is hard to ignore that many points.

Ravens are 0-5 against the spread.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

As said above, it's a pretty poor bet and I don't have any stats but I'd bet we're one of the best teams to bet against in spread betting.

On current form we'll be lucky to score more than 9.5pts let alone beat the Rams to that tune.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I dont think people are exactly beating down their bookies door to get their bets in for this one. It's a spread intended to entice action.
    Like all spreads, it is one they think will get action equally on each side.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I'll take the Ravens D finally getting in the endzone,with a banged up Rams O'line and Gus Ferrotte starting.

If ever there was a game that the Ravens should breakout in,then this should be it. You are almost facing the Rams second string here.

Still, I will not be surprised if its a low scoring, close game again.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Like all spreads, it is one they think will get action equally on each side.
    Exactly.

We seem to go over this weekly.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Exactly.

We seem to go over this weekly.

PP
    And for good reason ....

For people who throw cash on games, the fact the Ravens have gone 0-3 on the spread (0-5 is not correct -- they were taken off the board for two games) shows, at least in mild terms, just how much we need to work at being a better team.

If the odds makers see it, it shocks me that some fans keep seeing the team through purple-colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And for good reason ....

For people who throw cash on games, the fact the Ravens have gone 0-3 on the spread (0-5 is not correct -- they were taken off the board for two games) shows, at least in mild terms, just how much we need to work at being a better team.

If the odds makers see it, it shocks me that some fans keep seeing the team through purple-colored glasses.
    No, it doesn't.

As has been said time and time again, the number used in the spread is designed to garner wagering from both sides.

Period.

They want to make money, not try to guess how much the Ravens will win by.

Their sole mission is to keep the line at a point where they will make the most money.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    No, it doesn't.

As has been said time and time again, the number used in the spread is designed to garner wagering from both sides.

Period.

They want to make money, not try to guess how much the Ravens will win by.

Their sole mission is to keep the line at a point where they will make the most money.

PP
    Yes, thats the end result but you're not seeing what the number is BASED on -- skill of the team!

The Colts, Pats, etc are always favored not just because it will garner the most money -- people who bet stay away from games like these because they wont fetch much money except sucker bets. They are also favored because they are the BETTER TEAM. That's why there are point spreads.

Point Spread 101 -- If we're favored by 9.5 that is basically saying the other team would have to spot the Ravens those points in order to break even .... meaning one team is BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

PP, me thinks you just like to argue for arguing sake. You clearly dont know the first thing about wagering.