Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    9.5 point favorites?!?!



    I think Im going to catch hell for this post ....

    I just dont see us beating the Rams by this much. Yeah, its a home game and we need to rebound game. And yes, the Rams are downright dreadful. I get all of that.

    Two reason why we wont cover this ...

    One, we are banged up to all hell. Yes, the Rams are just as banged up but their rush defense is not as bad as their present ranking (21st) and if we cant push people back, look for McGahee to not be as effective in previous games.

    Two, we have a a chance to exploit the long pass ... if we only had a QB that could throw long or a coach that would actually call a pass play over 10 yards!!! Mason COULD have a break out game on Sunday and thats the frustrating part in all this. Put Boller in and we go deep; leave McNair in and we continue with this dink-and-dunk stuff. And, by the way, the Rams LB's are not THAT bad. They can hold their own if we stick to short dump offs.

    Ravens win a close one, but not by 9.5
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #2

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    I dont think people are exactly beating down their bookies door to get their bets in for this one. It's a spread intended to entice action.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

    On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!




  3. #3

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    I never take the point spread seriously, or as an indication of how much better than one team another team is.

    UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    I never bet on the Ravens but it is hard to ignore that many points.








  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    Ravens are 0-5 against the spread.


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norwich, England
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    As said above, it's a pretty poor bet and I don't have any stats but I'd bet we're one of the best teams to bet against in spread betting.

    On current form we'll be lucky to score more than 9.5pts let alone beat the Rams to that tune.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    I dont think people are exactly beating down their bookies door to get their bets in for this one. It's a spread intended to entice action.
    Like all spreads, it is one they think will get action equally on each side.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.
    Posts
    1,540

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    I'll take the Ravens D finally getting in the endzone,with a banged up Rams O'line and Gus Ferrotte starting.

    If ever there was a game that the Ravens should breakout in,then this should be it. You are almost facing the Rams second string here.

    Still, I will not be surprised if its a low scoring, close game again.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.




  9. #9

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Like all spreads, it is one they think will get action equally on each side.
    Exactly.

    We seem to go over this weekly.

    PP




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Exactly.

    We seem to go over this weekly.

    PP
    And for good reason ....

    For people who throw cash on games, the fact the Ravens have gone 0-3 on the spread (0-5 is not correct -- they were taken off the board for two games) shows, at least in mild terms, just how much we need to work at being a better team.

    If the odds makers see it, it shocks me that some fans keep seeing the team through purple-colored glasses.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #11

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And for good reason ....

    For people who throw cash on games, the fact the Ravens have gone 0-3 on the spread (0-5 is not correct -- they were taken off the board for two games) shows, at least in mild terms, just how much we need to work at being a better team.

    If the odds makers see it, it shocks me that some fans keep seeing the team through purple-colored glasses.
    No, it doesn't.

    As has been said time and time again, the number used in the spread is designed to garner wagering from both sides.

    Period.

    They want to make money, not try to guess how much the Ravens will win by.

    Their sole mission is to keep the line at a point where they will make the most money.

    PP




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    No, it doesn't.

    As has been said time and time again, the number used in the spread is designed to garner wagering from both sides.

    Period.

    They want to make money, not try to guess how much the Ravens will win by.

    Their sole mission is to keep the line at a point where they will make the most money.

    PP
    Yes, thats the end result but you're not seeing what the number is BASED on -- skill of the team!

    The Colts, Pats, etc are always favored not just because it will garner the most money -- people who bet stay away from games like these because they wont fetch much money except sucker bets. They are also favored because they are the BETTER TEAM. That's why there are point spreads.

    Point Spread 101 -- If we're favored by 9.5 that is basically saying the other team would have to spot the Ravens those points in order to break even .... meaning one team is BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

    PP, me thinks you just like to argue for arguing sake. You clearly dont know the first thing about wagering.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  13. #13

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yes, thats the end result but you're not seeing what the number is BASED on -- skill of the team!

    The Colts, Pats, etc are always favored not just because it will garner the most money -- people who bet stay away from games like these because they wont fetch much money except sucker bets. They are also favored because they are the BETTER TEAM. That's why there are point spreads.

    Point Spread 101 -- If we're favored by 9.5 that is basically saying the other team would have to spot the Ravens those points in order to break even .... meaning one team is BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

    PP, me thinks you just like to argue for arguing sake. You clearly dont know the first thing about wagering.
    Uh, what?

    I realize exactly how it works.

    You post every week about the spread and wonder why it's this and why it's that.

    You think it's based on how many points the odds makers think the favorite team will win by when in fact that's not the case at all.

    You keep harping on these big spreads the Ravens are getting and wondering why.

    People are telling you it's because that number is number the odds makers believe will garner the most action on both sides. But you don't seem to want to believe that.

    You can spout off how I don't know about wagering but it seems to me that you can't comprehend how very simple it really is.

    PP




  14. Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    I think you would have to be out of your mind taking the Ravens and giving up the points if you are the betting type.

    They very well might cover I suppose, but there's no way in hell I'd bet on that happening.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: 9.5 point favorites?!?!

    Point Spread 101
    I think you might need odds-making remedial.

    Bookies and sports books are trying to get as much action as possible split 50-50 on each team. When you bet $50 on a spread you give the house $55. If you win they pay you $105, you get back your $55 and the $50 you won. But the loser lost $55. So they take in $110 and pay out $105. THAT is how they make their money, but they are only guaranteed that if they get close to a 50-50 spread on bettting, half on each team.

    They could care less who is better. They let the public determine that with their bets. If there is more action on one side or the other they move the spread to garner more action the other way.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland