Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Best Free Agent Fits(other than our own)

Three offense three defense that are not currently on the team.

Offense
    (unrealistic)
    Jordan Cameron- I've been clamoring this for awhile. I know we don't often break the bank, but Jordan has the physical talent to be a top 3 TE. With the Browns and their QB situation he was great. And he was playing next to the leading reciever in the NFL that year. In a system that heavily features TEs. This makes a lot of sense.

Because he's concussion prone, he also shouldn't be super expensive. Cleveland might want to retain him, but something tells me he doesn't want to stay on a team that had Manziel as the guy who might lead them.

Cecil Shorts WR- Here's a more realistic option. Shorts is injury prone but for the most part he's a very good Wr who can do it all. Not a #1, but he is a lot better than Torrey is. Shouldn't be overly expensive with other talent currently on the market.

Charles Clay-Not sure he leaves Miami but he's a more realistic option than Cameron. Pretty much same player too.
    Not really much of a blocker but that's ok.

Defense:

Kareem Jackson- Something tells me this happens. He's what we want in a #2 corner. Kubiak connection + Ozzie Alabama connection= very likely. And he shouldn't be overly expensive. He should get a decent sized contract and for a guy like this I could see it happening. As a matter of fact I hope it happens.

Henry Melton- Yes, if you stopped reading any further I understand. He's not a current scheme fit. He's strictly a 4-3 three tech. But I think we're moving into a 4-3 scheme soon. And his injuries should once again make him cheap. Not to mention, if we use him as a situational rusher, we can keep him fresh.

Antrell Rolle- I understand hes old. But we can't win a super bowl without some veteran experience. He's easily worlds better than whatever we have as a pure FS, and while a liability in run support(do we honestly need that right now out of our safties? Stewart should come back for cheap, and our front 7 is good against the run). He's good in coverage so I'll take it.

Blog Entries

Re: Best Free Agent Fits(other than our own)

Why would Kareem Jackson leave the Texans if he isn't getting good money? If Jackson isn't expensive the Texans will keep him. If he is too expensive for them then we won't be able to afford him. He's a good player so it's not likely that they won't want him back.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Why would Kareem Jackson leave the Texans if he isn't getting good money? If Jackson isn't expensive the Texans will keep him. If he is too expensive for them then we won't be able to afford him. He's a good player so it's not likely that they won't want him back.
    Can't you say that about every free agent from a team with more cap space than us?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Can't you say that about every free agent from a team with more cap space than us?
    Yes. Which is why the good ones aren't coming here. Just like last year we'll have a chance to sign those guys who are cheap and might be bargains. We hit on Forsett, Daniels, Guy and Hill who were that kind of player but missed on Darian Stewart. In the past Ozzie has always looked at those type of guys in free agency, think Daryl Smith, Corey Graham, Carey Williams, and then he'd make 1 or 2 splash moves like Dumervil and Steve Smith. This year they're not going to be able to afford those splash moves. No team has less players under contract in 2015 than the Ravens and we have limited space on top of it.

Maybe an older guy like Antrell Rolle is willing to sign for a 1 year prove it deal like Daniels and Daryl Smith did when he came here in 2013. I doubt though good players coming off their rookie contracts who are looking to get paid are going to settle. That rarely happens. It's even less likely for a CB, pass rusher or Left Tackle. Teams put premiums on those positions. That's why I wouldn't even think about players like Kareem Jackson as potential Ravens in 2015 even though I agree he'd be a great fit.

Blog Entries

I want Marshawn Lynch assuming he is still getting cut by Seattle. You know all those 3rd and short or goal line situations we had where we didn't get it? Yeah, not anymore with that guy. I just don't have a clue how much he would cost and IF Kubiak is still here then those resources would probably be best spent elsewhere given his history with the position.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Just give me Cromartie.

Blog Entries

Cecil Shorts would be the guy I was intereted in.

Won't be a big investment. He's still young.

I also think the injury prone thing is a bit overblown. He played in 13 games last year, 13 the year before, and 14 the year before that. Clearly, you'd like your guys to play in every game, but it isn't like he is missing half of the season every year.

Additionally, look at the QB(s) he has had throwing to him while in Jacksonville (Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, and Blake Bortles). Yet, he still amassed 2,343 yards, 12 TDs, and 176 receptions. Even basically being third on the pecking order this past year, he had over 500 yards on 53 receptions.

My only concern with Shorts is that he is right around a 50-52% catch guy.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I want Marshawn Lynch assuming he is still getting cut by Seattle. You know all those 3rd and short or goal line situations we had where we didn't get it? Yeah, not anymore with that guy. I just don't have a clue how much he would cost and IF Kubiak is still here then those resources would probably be best spent elsewhere given his history with the position.
    Lynch would be a great addition to the Ravens, even though he has a lot of miles on those legs. But at what cost? The last 4 years he's amassed 5357 yards, and a total of 56 touchdowns. I just can't see him coming at a cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Cecil Shorts would be the guy I was intereted in.

Won't be a big investment. He's still young.

I also think the injury prone thing is a bit overblown. He played in 13 games last year, 13 the year before, and 14 the year before that. Clearly, you'd like your guys to play in every game, but it isn't like he is missing half of the season every year.

Additionally, look at the QB(s) he has had throwing to him while in Jacksonville (Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, and Blake Bortles). Yet, he still amassed 2,343 yards, 12 TDs, and 176 receptions. Even basically being third on the pecking order this past year, he had over 500 yards on 53 receptions.

My only concern with Shorts is that he is right around a 50-52% catch guy.
    Cecil Shorts would be a good #2 guy to bring if if the Ravens don't resign Torrey IMO. If they did bring in Shorts, they would still need a legitimate #1, which hopefully they finally add to the roster this season. A team with Shorts, Steve Smith Sr, and a legitimate #1 guy would be a very solid receiving corps. (I'm not holding my breath for this to happen)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilOntheRun View Post
    Three offense three defense that are not currently on the team.

Offense
    (unrealistic)
    Jordan Cameron- I've been clamoring this for awhile. I know we don't often break the bank, but Jordan has the physical talent to be a top 3 TE. With the Browns and their QB situation he was great. And he was playing next to the leading reciever in the NFL that year. In a system that heavily features TEs. This makes a lot of sense.

Because he's concussion prone, he also shouldn't be super expensive. Cleveland might want to retain him, but something tells me he doesn't want to stay on a team that had Manziel as the guy who might lead them.

Cecil Shorts WR- Here's a more realistic option. Shorts is injury prone but for the most part he's a very good Wr who can do it all. Not a #1, but he is a lot better than Torrey is. Shouldn't be overly expensive with other talent currently on the market.

Charles Clay-Not sure he leaves Miami but he's a more realistic option than Cameron. Pretty much same player too.
    Not really much of a blocker but that's ok.

Defense:

Kareem Jackson- Something tells me this happens. He's what we want in a #2 corner. Kubiak connection + Ozzie Alabama connection= very likely. And he shouldn't be overly expensive. He should get a decent sized contract and for a guy like this I could see it happening. As a matter of fact I hope it happens.

Henry Melton- Yes, if you stopped reading any further I understand. He's not a current scheme fit. He's strictly a 4-3 three tech. But I think we're moving into a 4-3 scheme soon. And his injuries should once again make him cheap. Not to mention, if we use him as a situational rusher, we can keep him fresh.

Antrell Rolle- I understand hes old. But we can't win a super bowl without some veteran experience. He's easily worlds better than whatever we have as a pure FS, and while a liability in run support(do we honestly need that right now out of our safties? Stewart should come back for cheap, and our front 7 is good against the run). He's good in coverage so I'll take it.
    As you said, Jordan Cameron is banged up a lot, and the Ravens need someone who is reliable and can play 16 games a year. Daniels will be on the roster next season, and hopefully either Pitta or Gilmore can fill the other TE role.
    Kareem Jackson would be awesome, but I just don't see the Ravens paying him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by palukaraven View Post
    Lynch would be a great addition to the Ravens, even though he has a lot of miles on those legs. But at what cost? The last 4 years he's amassed 5357 yards, and a total of 56 touchdowns. I just can't see him coming at a cheap price.
    Yeah, that's what I don't know either. My thought is a 28 year old RB with the amount of wear on him that Lynch has isn't going to cost an exorbitant amount, but RB contracts are the one where I really have no idea what to expect.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Cameron is to injury prone. might as well stick with Pitta if were only going to see the guy 4-8 games a year. Hes better than Pitta and his injury isnt nearly as threatening as his was. based on that wed be looking to pay him upwards of what Pitta got so theres no way this makes sense.

we have a cheaper higher potential option in campanaro. I just dont see the point in bringing in shorts, who will likely only get marginally less than Torrey will bring and is injury prone.

Charles clay likely wont leave Miami. Id agree hes a good get if we could but again, hes better than Pitta. Hed cost us roughly the same and theres no way we can make that work. i think more realistically if its not OD, which I think would be #1 choice. it would be a guy like Niles Paul. He should be cheaper, also somewhat injury prone, but highly explosive as a pass catcher.

Jackson I dont think will be cheap. I think even if he was an economical choice his desire would be to stay with houston. wed have to pay for him to leave and thats not happening.

Melton is injury prone as hell and i dont think were changing our defense. well stay a hybrid so there room for a 3 tech but im not sure we need/want him.

Im sensing a theme here. mostly injury prone guys.

Rolle is legitimate. I think hed be a great addition. hes older (10 year vet) but has some left in the tank but not enough to bulk at Brooks replacing him alter in the year. Hed allow Brooks to come along slowly. With Hill back that would be a huge improvement in the back end. Im just not sure how much hed bring, id like to think a fair deal is in our range.

stevie brown may be the better Giant S. He got benched but early but as his knee got stronger he regained the start and looked decent. Hes old enough that hed give you some ability and depth if brooks takes off.

is it worth signing eric berry to some sort of deal? he gets NFL insurance, we get a great safety when/if he returns?
    Last edited by JAB1985; 01-16-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    -JAB