I would kindly like your thoughts on a few "questions" as we begin to eye 2015/2016

I will probably post some in the off-season, yet from a family challenges perspective (esp health), I might be limited. So, I will ask my favorite group of opionists, analysts, and writers a few questions.

1. Will the Ravens be a better team next season? Try to abandon homer thinking and provide your key points as to us being better or worse.

2. What do you expect of our strongest units (the hands in the dirt DL guys). What will be the rotation and will KLM and Urban come in and make an impact. What happens to Haloti and Chris C. ?

3. What positions do you believe we need to fill by FA versus Draft. Will the status of D. Pitta impact this prior to draft time, if that's even possible. Basically I'm asking if we delve into FA, at what position?

4. What will be our top 2 or 3 off season losses?

Ty.
    Last edited by alienstar; 01-14-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Re: I would kindly like your thoughts on a few "questions" as we begin to eye 2015/2016

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    I will probably post some in the off-season, yet from a family challenges perspective (esp health), I might be limited. So, I will ask my favorite group of opionists, analysts, and writers a few questions.

1. Will the Ravens be a better team next season? Try to abandon homer thinking and provide your key points as to us being better or worse.

2. What do you expect of our strongest units (the hands in the dirt DL guys). What will be the rotation and will KLM and Urban come in and make an impact. What happens to Haloti and Chris C. ?

3. What positions do you believe we need to fill by FA versus Draft. Will the status of D. Pitta impact this prior to draft time, if that's even possible. Basically I'm asking if we delve into FA, at what position?

Ty.
    1. Hard to say since we have no idea who will be on the team. But I do believe we have a solid nucleus in place, and one of the best crews in the league at being able to address our weaknesses. So yeah, I think we will be better. A theoretically tougher schedule, and pending how our division develops, it might not be reflected in our record.

2. Haloti gets restructured, Canty retires, BWill and Jernigan get better, and this remains a huge strength of this team.

3. Ozzie don't play that. As always, I'm not expecting any kind of splash moves. Just some late value pickups. The dead money from Ray Rice and dealing with keeping our own players will leave very little money for FA. (I also expect there to be a lot of bitching about this fact on this board when it actually happens.)

4. McPhee. He's not replaceable. And if we lose Torrey (which I consider 50/50) we have a lot of rebuilding to do of an underperforming WR corps, and very little resources to do it with.

Most importantly though, really sorry about the family challenges. Health ones in particular are nightmares. We'll be thinking of you. Be strong.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Re: I would kindly like your thoughts on a few "questions" as we begin to eye 2015/2016

Yes.
    1. They have a franchise QB who IMO is top 5 in the league. He proved it during these last 2 playoff games.
    2. This is the Offense's second season in the Kubiak's system. They don't have to learn new terminology this year.
    3. This team is hungry again like they were prior to the Super Bowl win. The loss in NE made them realize how close they are.
    4. The team is solid in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
    5. The weakness in this team is very obvious with the secondary. They need some FA pickups and need to draft well, but the players they need are already on the team.
    6. The 2014 draft was one of the best this team ever had. These players will only get better in their 2nd year.
    7. They need to add a WR, but if they resign Torrey and continue to develop the younger guys they'll be OK. Steve Smith Sr sounds like he's ready to go again.
    8. I see Denver as falling off a bit, that leaves one less team in their path.
    9. I don't see any other team in the AFC North in a better position than the Ravens.
    10. Is there anyone you trust more than Ozzie Newsome and his staff? They'll find the right players.

Haloti is here in 2015. I think he restructures. Chris Canty is hard to say. They'll sign a body or two in FA and draft a player or two for the D-Line. Hard to say with KLM and Urban.

Ozzie needs to sign a DB or 2 prior to the draft. It's the well known weakness on the team. You can't rely on the draft to fill that need. Certainly draft DBs if they are there.

Dennis Pitta won't affect the draft because they have Crockett Gilmore and I believe Owen Daniels resigns.

1. Pernell McPhee
    2. Terrence Cody
    3. Tyrod Taylor

Blog Entries

Ty.
    1) Yes they will be better. 2nd year under Kubiak hopefully. Same o-line from this season. Healthy Jimmy Smith. Same d-line minus McPhee plus healthy KLM and Urban. 2nd year for Mosley and Jernigan. I expect Ozzie to bolster the secondary by draft and/or FA. Same with WR/TE/RB.

2) DL should be stacked. I expect Canty to be gone and Ngata to be back on a team friendly extension (hoping). Having Jernigan in 2nd year plus KLM and Urban should be solid. Plus Brandon Williams continuing to develop. Our lines should continue to be strong.

3) I'd like them to sign a FA corner and possibly a TE. FA is pretty deep at corner. I feel like we could find a bargain.

4) McPhee hands down but we have a lot of talent on the d-line. Jernigan can take over that McPhee role and be more.

Ty.
    1. Yes. With all the injuries coming back healthy, we should be better defensively. Ozzie might not do too much to fix up the offense, but even with our "shitty personnel" we threw four TDs on the Patriots very good secondary.
    2. I honestly think Lewis Moore might never be healthy at this point. I really like Urban.
    3. Free Agency I think he mainly retains our own guys(Daniels and Forsett. Probably make a push for Torrey, I would rather have McPhee but he won't be cheap). A free agent we might get that makes WAY too much sense is Kareem Jackson. Won't be too expensive, Alabama ties, Kubiak ties.

Draft wise we go BPA.. Which we will be really happy about cause it'll be about the offense, or really pissed off about cause it'll be defensive. Knowing Ozzie It'll be defensive, and we might win another SB in spite of our "dumbass GM".

4. McPhee and Canty, Something tells me we get a deal done with Ngata, and Yanda as well. We lose a hell of a pass rusher with McPhee and a veteran presence on the line with Canty.

Honestly I think we let Torrey walk to keep McPhee. This isn't like when Kruger and Cary Williams left when we had their replacements waiting. He's SO DAMN GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Honestly I think we let Torrey walk to keep McPhee. This isn't like when Kruger and Cary Williams left when we had their replacements waiting. He's SO DAMN GOOD.
    The thing I mostly applaud and agree about this post is that we all mostly knew that Kruger, Cary, and Ellerbe were not worth the bloated prices. McPhe is even more under radar but we are excited about his value as opposed to the other players mentioned. This time a smart GM may be noticing..... I'd like to hope not. Wishful thinking.

Ty.
    1. Yes, we'll be a better team, assuming we have better health at our key positions. Obviously if Flacco goes down during training camp we're cooked, but for the most part there's reason for optimism.

2. I expect Haloti to receive an extension, Canty to be released, and McPhee to move on to more money than we can offer. McPhee is a good player but not a core player. He'll let us a solid comp pick but he's not the player you break the bank to keep. We have optimism around Urban and KLM still to fill his slot, and in a couple years we'll need to pay Brandon Williams and then Jernigan.

3. I expect to see a midrange free agent CB signing, maybe one also at safety. We'll bring in a RB, either Forsett or someone else, for the right price. WR will depend largely on who becomes available. I don't see us being active in free agency anywhere else.

4. I don't know whether Torrey will stay, a lot depends on how much he can get from another team. Our only loss of consequence this offseason will be McPhee. This, honestly, is our biggest reason for optimism: we have all of our most important players coming back for another year, assuming a Ngata extension. We have an opportunity to improve through the draft and through improved health, and we have few people that we expect to hit a wall on age (Steve Smith, maybe Suggs/Doom/Ngata, Daryl Smith... Owen Daniels, if he's back). We really do have a pretty young team at key spots.

1. Will the Ravens be a better team next season?
    I think they'll be about the same. We have such a great group of rookies turning into 2nd year players, and I think that will provide a big boost. I also think we'll be very tight against the cap, so we may see less of the budget FAs that usually give us a boost. This year we had Daniels, Smith Sr., and Forsett. Daniels and Forsett are FAs, along with Torrey and McPhee. I can't see us bringing back back more than 1 or 2 of them.

I predict Canty will be cut if he doesn't retire. Ngata will probably get an extension, though with the production we could get out of Jernigan and Williams, maybe the better move would be to move on. Then we could use the savings to try to bring back McPhee. If we don't bring back McPhee, then that would likely mean more reps for Urban and KLM.

I think they look to add a budget CB in FA to bolster depth. Maybe a S. I'm sure they will talk with Smith, Daniels, and Forsett, to try and help with those position groups. I don't think Forsett will happen, but maybe Daniels and/or Smith come back. Hopefully if we do well getting our targets in FA we won't feel pressure to reach for a need in the draft. I don't like trying to fill needs in the draft. Plug holes as cheaply as you reasonably can in FA and just try to find great players in the draft.

McPhee and Forsett.

Side Note: The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of taking the comp pick and the cap savings by not resigning Torrey.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 01-15-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Sadly, I think we'll be worse, but I also think the rest of AFC North will be that. Meeting the AFC West and NFC West instead of AFC South and NFC South will cost some wins.

What I try to do is look at what should improve, what should remain the same, what should get worse. Let's look at it by position unit:

QB: I think Flacco will have a year similar to 2014.

RB: Forsett probably is going to be worse in 2015, but Taliaferro and Pierce/rookie should provide a better backup situation.

WR&TE: I can only see us going backwards here. I think Pitta is done, Sr. will be worse, Daniels isn't special, even if Torrey returns, I don't think he'll hit 1000 yards.

OL: This unit looks great for next year, but I just have a feeling that someone will underwhelm. The offensive line was such a pleasant surprise this year, I just don't know if they can improve upon that.

The good thing about the offenseis if Kubiak stays, they'll have the system worked through even more.

On the defense, I think the front seven will remain really awesome. Even with Ngata and McPhee possibly gone, and some of the +30 guys (Suggs, Doom, Smith) maybe due for a decline, I think the young guys will pick it up.

The secondary will obviously improve. Anything else is impossible.