Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Why Not Billick?

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Let's ignore Byner being in there, but you don't feel Billick contributed more than guys like McCrary, Heap, and Boulware? Billick turned this franchise around and basically gave the team the swagger they have had since he got here. He won a Superbowl in his second year as head coach. I think he more than belongs in there, and I do think there is some bad blood, but both sides have enough class to not talk about it.
    Jamal Lewis?

Billick should be up there.

I think Billick would be a good fit in San Francisco with a solid team around him and young QB who has more talent than anyone he ever had at QB here.

@Greg
    In point of fact, Jamal Lewis wasn't done when he left here. He had two 1000 plus yd seasons with the Browns before missing 8 games due to injury in his third season with them 09.

I do believe he would have broke Dickersons record had Billick not pulled him in the second half of the second Browns game that year. Billick was being smart, trying to keep him fresh for the playoffs but he ended being only 39 yards short. If he would have played that second half he probably would have broke that record before that final game in Pittsburgh.

Yes, Billick was arrogant, but most of that I saw, or heard, or read was when he was dealing with reporters who can make one want to choke them with their stupid questions. His whole "I'm an offensive Genius" shtick rubbed many the wrong way but I still like the guy.

I also enjoyed the book he wrote after he was fired. Really insightful about the NFL in general.
    Last edited by Stone; 01-08-2015 at 02:15 AM.
    "How do we know he is not Mel Tormé?"

Why Not Billick?

Let's ignore Byner being in there, but you don't feel Billick contributed more than guys like McCrary, Heap, and Boulware? Billick turned this franchise around and basically gave the team the swagger they have had since he got here. He won a Superbowl in his second year as head coach. I think he more than belongs in there, and I do think there is some bad blood, but both sides have enough class to not talk about it.
    I agree with everything you said about Billick, minus the bad blood part.

Again, when looking at the admission criteria though, I'm not sure he will get in. The RoH standards seem to place an emphasis on a lot of things that are not just on the field accomplishments.

Byner was a Model pick and picked before the current criteria was in place. Bisciotti seems to more beholden to the admission criteria than his predecessor.

I think Billick's credentials more than stand up to Boulware, McCrary or J. Lewis. What did J. Lewis do off the field except get arrested for drug trafficking?
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by middleriverterp View Post
    I think Billick's credentials more than stand up to Boulware, McCrary or J. Lewis. What did J. Lewis do off the field except get arrested for drug trafficking?
    All three of those players ran charities for at risk inner city youth, raising hundreds of thousand of dollars. McCrary in particular is still involved in various charities in Baltimore and still lives in the city to this day. Hang out around the Ostend Or Hanover St bridges on game day sometime. You'll this incredibly big dude, riding a rather small scooter. That's McCrary.

To my knowledge, Billick was never really involved in the city, local community or with any charities.

If our RoH was based solely on football accomplishments, I'd agree 100% he should be in. But on the field accomplishments are not even mentioned in the admission criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I agree with everything you said about Billick, minus the bad blood part.

Again, when looking at the admission criteria though, I'm not sure he will get in. The RoH standards seem to place an emphasis on a lot of things that are not just on the field accomplishments.

Byner was a Model pick and picked before the current criteria was in place. Bisciotti seems to more beholden to the admission criteria than his predecessor.
    Jamal Lewis is a felon and he's there. Mike McCrary is an amazing person and probably belongs up there more for off the field achievements than on the field, although he was a solid player. I don't know if Billick had his own tax write off foundation, but I personally saw him at two different fundraisers. Chris McAlister was the greatest corner in Ravens history and had his own foundation. Do you think he's getting in? Billick isn't in because there is some bad blood and it's going to take some time to let bygones be bygones. The guy was fired on New Year's Day after being told just a couple weeks earlier that he was staying. That will piss anyone off.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

To my knowledge, Billick was never really involved in the city, local community or with any charities.
    What do you mean Billick is not involved in charities? He's been propping up Nestor Aparicio's hamster-wheel operation for years now!

In all seriousness though, you're statement is completely untrue. Living Classrooms was his pet, and he devoted a CRAPLOAD of time, money, and resources to it. He is still very involved.

He also is a big reason for the Ravens' organizations emphasis on community involvement from their players, as you can read about here: http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...ght-Thing.aspx

The team was not particularly involved until Billick got here, and that culture has remained.
    Last edited by HotInHere; 01-08-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Im scratching my head here...

Bisciotti and Billick still talk even. He visited the Ravens facilities not long ago (TC i believe) and was chumming it up with everyone there (behind the scenes video on BR i believe). Theres no bad blood. Not towards Harbaugh, not towards Bisciotti and not Ozzie. If im not mistaken there was an article when he was fired that acknowledged how hard of a decision it was for Bisciotti and that Billick understood the decision and moved on. If there wasnt bad blood then, at the height of emotion, there certainly isnt now. The article could have been when they were in the playoffs 2008 but regardless theres been nothing to suggest bad blood other than ROH which is fan driven. which im not sure he qualifies for what he did as a coach, let alone any outside work.
    -JAB

Jamal Lewis is a felon and he's there.
    Im not sure about the felon part as he plead to a lesser charge. In any event, this is overly simplistic of what went down and I think the team views it much differently. He made a phone call and said two words. There's a strong case that he had no idea what he was even doing. Even the judge in the case stated the case was incredibly weak against him ....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Jan26.html

Chris McAlister was the greatest corner in Ravens history and had his own foundation. Do you think he's getting in?
    No, I don't. Looking at the criteria, I don't think he fits. Simply having a foundation isn't enough and his demons effected the team big time.

Billick isn't in because there is some bad blood and it's going to take some time to let bygones be bygones. The guy was fired on New Year's Day after being told just a couple weeks earlier that he was staying. That will piss anyone off.
    I am sure Billick was pissed but that doesn't have any bearing on the teams decision to put him in or not. Given the public statements by the team and Billick, both sides are fine with one another. When Billick returned to broadcast the Bears game in 2009 (?), the team put him up on the scoreboard numerous times and he gave local interviews, giving glowing praise towards the team.

FTR, I am not a fan of the current way people are put into our RoH. I think the on the field accomplishments need to be given more weight. But that's not how Bisciotti runs things it would seem. Here's the criteria for admission, BTW ....

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/...-of-honor.html

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    What do you mean Billick is not involved in charities? He's been propping up Nestor Aparicio's hamster-wheel operation for years now!
    Zing .... /thread

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im scratching my head here...

Bisciotti and Billick still talk even. He visited the Ravens facilities not long ago (TC i believe) and was chumming it up with everyone there (behind the scenes video on BR i believe). Theres no bad blood. Not towards Harbaugh, not towards Bisciotti and not Ozzie. If im not mistaken there was an article when he was fired that acknowledged how hard of a decision it was for Bisciotti and that Billick understood the decision and moved on. If there wasnt bad blood then, at the height of emotion, there certainly isnt now. The article could have been when they were in the playoffs 2008 but regardless theres been nothing to suggest bad blood other than ROH which is fan driven. which im not sure he qualifies for what he did as a coach, let alone any outside work.
    I think you're correct about the TC visit.

People think when a football coach gets fired, it's like if you or I were to get fired from our job. 99% of the time, it's the exact opposite. Billick got paid millions to sit on his ass for 3 years. That dulls the pain of getting ousted IMO.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 01-08-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't think there is any legitimate reason to believe there is bad blood between Billick and Bisciotti or anyone in the organization. Legitimate reasons for him not to be in the ROH could include them feeling he didn't do enough as a coach or off the field to get in, or they may just end up not putting coaches in. This is not Jimmy Johnson vs. Jerry Jones here. Another reason could be that they want to ensure he is fully retired from coaching before doing so.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52