Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Patriots fans afraid of "Jumpball Joe" and DPI calls

My pats fan co-worker is thankful we don't have pollard this time around. LOL. Their fans are SAWFT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    I know this is just a delusional homer talking, but I'm honestly uncertain what he's referring to. I don't remember any Ravens going helmet to helmet in that game. I usually make a note if I think we got away with an uncalled penalty, but we played a very clean and technical game while still hitting hard.
    We were called for one helmet-to-helmet hit. Melvin went for the receivers thighs and the receiver ducked down into his helmet as he came in. Melvin's butt was practically on the ground when they made contact, he was that low.

I thought it highlighted the ridiculousness and mindlessness of the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    We were called for one helmet-to-helmet hit. Melvin went for the receivers thighs and the receiver ducked down into his helmet as he came in. Melvin's butt was practically on the ground when they made contact, he was that low.

Yeah, I remember that one, but that drew a flag. I agree that it was pretty ridiculous; it looked like the receiver had planted and made a "football move" by crouching defensively, which is supposed to mean he's no longer in a defenseless position. I don't know how Melvin could have avoided that penalty since he was coming in at waist level.

But the poster was referring to helmet hits that weren't called. And I'm struggling to remember one.

AMEN! Thought the same thing. The NFL, NFLPA, referees, players, etc. need to sit downt his offseason and look at EVERY single rule. The Ravens have had their fair share of fortune and misfortune with rules, but generally speaking I don't think we have much to complain about. If I were a Detroit Lions fan though.....

Even so....what was Melvin suposed to do? Like you said Bac....Melvin's ass was literally on the ground. The receiver ducked...what is Melvin supposed to do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    My pats fan co-worker is thankful we don't have pollard this time around. LOL. Their fans are SAWFT
    I don't know any pats fan that have expressed this but I assumed they were relieved by this! I hope Will Hill or someone will give them someone new to be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    As to the original topic, Steeler fans (like my nephew) were crying the same thing about Joe throwing his "moonballs" and hoping for a DPI call. They said its the only way the Ravens move the ball. Its just sour grapes and a load of crap. Joe has a cannon arm and is using it.
    People who say that (no offense to your relative) are obviously speaking from emotion. They are either hideously uninformed about football, don't actually watch the games, or get all their "information" from the echo chamber of their own fan base, possibly all three.

"Jumpball Joe" is so stupid a nickname I can't even bother to feel insulted by it. It's so inaccurate it literally means nothing. The fact opposing fans toss it around like it's 1) clever or 2) supposed to hurt is hilarious.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

If Rodgers or Manning led the league in DPIs they'd be praised for their game smarts.

Blog Entries

OK I"m going to say it. I hope the Ravens win this game on the last play because PI was called... and it's a completely blown call.

Yup give us back some of that karma from taking away SSSr touchdown. how rich

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

When they flag something like Melvin's hit, they aren't protecting anyone. In fact they're almost encouraging "defenseless" receivers to take risks with their own health: Hey, if I lower my head into the path of the tackler's head, maybe I can get 15 yards tacked on & it probably won't hurt too much...

I doubt most players would be that devious but you better believe a 2015 version of Whines Hard would have half a dozen possible H-2-H angles queued up whenever he caught a pass.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Very well stated.

If I were on the rules committee, the helmet-to-helment defenseless receiver rule would only come into play if the receiver's head is above his shoulders. Or navel. Whatever. But the rule as it is causes more problems than it solves.

Interestingly, that rule is the very reason why the Steelers didn't have Le'Veon Bell for that game.
    Last edited by HotInHere; 01-05-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Trying to remember second grade grammar rules.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    When they flag something like Melvin's hit, they aren't protecting anyone. In fact they're almost encouraging "defenseless" receivers to take risks with their own health: Hey, if I lower my head into the path of the tackler's head, maybe I can get 15 yards tacked on & it probably won't hurt too much...

I doubt most players would be that devious but you better believe a 2015 version of Whines Hard would have half a dozen possible H-2-H angles queued up whenever he caught a pass.
    One example of that is Austin Collie. Now I don' t know that he did it for the 15 yards. He maybe just had a habit of curling into a fetal ball on every catch. But every time that dude got hit in the belly, there was his head getting crushed. No wonder the guy got concussed out of the league. Might have cost the Ravens a win in Indy in the playoffs years back. Ray Lewis had him lined up over the middle, put his head right into Collie's belly when suddenly - snap! - down comes the head, right down into the strike zone. Perfect form tackle, ball pops out, incomplete... but wait!!! There's a flag!!! And the amazing Peyton Manning does it again......

Seriously, I think Collie must have been able to self... entertain, the way he got that head of his down to where defenders could hit it even if they were going at his knees.

Guy'd probably still be playing if he would have learned to keep his head up on his damn shoulders and out of harm's way. Those helmet to helmet flags he collected should have all been on him.

Blog Entries

Joe scares the Pats as this song will attest to :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYZaiDZ7BM

... Bc