Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Steelers concussions- How was Ben even allowed back on the field 3 plays later?

I have to say that I was a little surprised (but not totally) that Ben was allowed to return to the field so quickly after his *obvious* concussion. I'm just curious what the rules are at this point- I thought if you had a concussion you weren't allowed back in the game, no? I mean I didn't want to win like that- but is that not the rule?

I think a big part of the interception that followed after his immediate re-insertion was probably that he was still foggy, and I guess that they got what they deserved by throwing him back into the fire so quickly- but so much for player safety that they claim to have put an emphasis on. I also couldn't believe that Collinsworth and Michaels weren't talking about it more- they kept dancing around the obvious by saying things like he could still be woozy, and fuzzy (I can't recall the exact words)- but it was clear they were avoiding saying "concussion" when that's clearly what it was.

Then the first time Heath Miller goes back in and catches a ball- what did he do- Fumble to seal the game. I would have thought there would have been more talk about this.

Re: Steelers concussions- How was Ben even allowed back on the field 3 plays later?

I believe that the player just has to pass the protocols done either on the field or in the locker room. I don' think there is a hard and fast "out for the game automatically" rule.

I also thought I heard a report that after they checked Roethlisberger, he put on his helmet and just went back in without really being cleared. I don't know if that is the case, but it is possible that the coaches thought the doctors had cleared him and didn't know. There is a lot going on during the game on the sideline. It wouldn't be the first time that a player put himself into a game without being cleared to do so. But, like I said, I don't know for certain that that is what happened on Saturday night.

Blog Entries

Re: Steelers concussions- How was Ben even allowed back on the field 3 plays later?

Desperation. I was more worried about Gradkowski scoring on us than Roethlisberger. He looked like he did after Ngata hit him when they were here earlier in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I believe that the player just has to pass the protocols done either on the field or in the locker room. I don' think there is a hard and fast "out for the game automatically" rule.
    Yes there is. See here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...th-concussions

I also thought I heard a report that after they checked Roethlisberger, he put on his helmet and just went back in without really being cleared. I don't know if that is the case, but it is possible that the coaches thought the doctors had cleared him and didn't know. There is a lot going on during the game on the sideline. It wouldn't be the first time that a player put himself into a game without being cleared to do so. But, like I said, I don't know for certain that that is what happened on Saturday night.
    I don't remember the play exactly, but I think Roethlisberger came out because he was injured somewhere else on his body. If the "eye in the sky" doctor didn't rule it a possible concussion, then there is no requirement for the Steelers to put him through the protocol testing.

Ben didn't have a concussion. He had neck pain similar to whip lash.

Heath Miller on the other hand had to come out with concussion like symptoms.

Blog Entries

From bst3975's post down around #35 on the "What went wrong with the Squealers?" thread:
    Haven't seen this angle discussed elsewhere, but an interesting piece in today's WaPo:

"Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller returned ‘too quick’ to properly check for a concussion"

http://http://www.washingtonpost.com...-a-concussion/

Could be argued Ben's hurried return hurt the Steelers' chances, when he threw the last INT into heavy coverage.
    The article is worth a read.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

When Mosley hit Heath Miler his arms went limp similar to a fighter being knocked out and he went back in the game a few plays later. It was as blatant a disregard for the concussion protocol as I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Heath Miller on the other hand had to come out with concussion like symptoms.
    I wonder if the NFL will look into this... Heath was definitely knocked out for a minute. Seemed he shouldn't of come back in.
    ::Flacco Superstar::

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I stand corrected. I thought he had concussion like symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco Seagulls View Post
    I wonder if the NFL will look into this... Heath was definitely knocked out for a minute. Seemed he shouldn't of come back in.
    Agreed. But I think part of the problem is that players are figuring out how to lie their way back on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    From bst3975's post down around #35 on the "What went wrong with the Squealers?" thread:The article is worth a read.
    The link you posted was broken. Here is another: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/s...-a-concussion/

It is an interesting argument, although the writer belies his bias in my opinion when he writes:

The end of the Steelers-Ravens slugfest cast the NFL’s on-field tension in stark relief. The drama of a heated rivalry, the ferocity of the Ravens and the intensity of Heinz Field delivered every reason we watch. The brutality of the end was everything frightening about the game. It became difficult to watch the short passes to receivers, who became targets for defensive backs and linebackers who, playing to keep the ball in front of them, could turn themselves into human rockets.
    I didn't think there was anything more violent about the end of the game than other games.

Besides, if the protocol on the NFL website is to be believed, the process starts with a neutral observer identifying a possible concussion. That is where any review of the process needs to start.

It was said that Ben came back too quickly to be cleared for concussion symptoms - in fact I thought Jim Nance said it appeared that Ben walked over halfway, and never even saw the doctor or something like that. He was clearly woozy, shaking his head and glassy eyed. His bonehead INT afterwards confirmed that much for me.