Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Sad Statistic

Re: A Sad Statistic

The San Diego ref. to firing Marty can easily be evened out by the example of Tampa Bay firing Dungy and then Gruden wins the Superbowl the next year w/ the same team. It can work BOTH ways.
    Seeing as how you brought up Gruden (who was a favorite among the fire billick crowd a few years ago) how has that worked out for Tampa since???

I'll answer the question for you. He has gone 42-43 since he became the coach of the Bucs. He has had a season with 7 wins, a season with 5 wins and a season with 4 wins and lost the only playoff game they appeared in since the season they won the Superbowl.
    I would hate to be around here if Billick ever lead this team to a 4 win season like Chuckie did.

In the eyes of 'fans' like Fanman, Billick gets no credit for the following:
    1. Defense
    2. Wins
    3. The running game
    4. Making the playoffs
    5. The short passing game

He is only responsible for:
    1. The deep passing game
    2. Gadget plays
    3. Putting up a lot of points every week
    4. Winning the Super Bowl every year

"Fire Billick"? Hardly. How about "Minor Adjustments," "Frachise Quarterback," or "Stay Healthy." I like my two word answers a lot more.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

The sad part is that the vocal minority think the same way. These boards and talk radio are almost unbearable with all of these people who seem to have missed their NFL calling.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Funny Billick held him back too!!! Maybe we could have been the New England Dynasty with a more open minded coach.
    Or Detroit with the wide open run and shoot offense of Wayne Fonts.

You folks don't realize how few good coaches there are.

Quote Originally Posted by jburns View Post
    It is all Cavanaugh's fault. When are they ever going to get rid of Matt Cavanaugh? He is the worst.
    My guess, after the Navy-Pitt debacle, he will soon be available! Want him back?
    Maybe he has rubbed off on BB!

6. Re: A Sad Statistic

When they start losing then firing Billick might be a viable answer.

Over his 8 year career as head coach.
    He is:
    75 - 53 .586 pct (Average of 9.3 wins and 6.6 losses)
    Has won 1 Super Bowl
    Has finished First twice in the AFC North
    Has been to the playoffs 4 times

Until this team starts losing, I don't want to hear it.
    The offense is as ugly as it gets. But if they win, I don't care.
    The year of the touchdown drought was also the year they won a championship. Did anyone care then???

In the end, it all boils down to wins and losses. Even if we win by one point, a win is a win.

This year though, expectations are very HIGH! Anything less than a wild card will be unacceptable in everyone's eyes.

People are calling for Billick's head, because the team that is playing right now doesn't look like it can beat a NE or the Colts. We struggle against teams that we should dominate. Our defense has a kink in its armor. It is unrealistic to think the defense can keep everyone under 10 points per game.

Sunday's game will again be a telling sign of things to come.

Forget the SB win...it's ancient history and is no longer relevant to this team.

This year is what's at stake and the ship is in rough seas right now. I've said my fill....but mark my words, as I have said since 2001:
    The Ravens will never win another SuperBowl w/ Billick as the HC.

And I would love to be wrong...but not so for the last 6 yrs. If Billick doesn't go deep in the playoffs this year just wait until all the vets are gone and this team gets super young....good luck.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman
    If Billick doesn't go deep in the playoffs this year just wait until all the vets are gone and this team gets super young....good luck.
    I guess you weren't around in 2002 when the team got super young after the massive salary cap cuts, and Billick ended up getting coach of the year votes.

I was here in 2002...a team that went 7-9. I am not saying Billick didn't do a good job that year...of course he did. But the point is what he did not do last year when getting a home playoff game and what we are seeing again THIS year...lack of scoring on the offense. There really is no diff when it comes to team that is 4-12 vs 7-9...neither one makes the playoffs.

Bottom line for me is that 1 playoff win since the SuperBowl is poor w/ the defense he has had.....it's not like he ever needed an offense to put up big pts all the time.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    If Billick doesn't go deep in the playoffs this year just wait until all the vets are gone and this team gets super young....good luck.
    So negative...

If they keep drafting like they have since 2005, it's not going to be long, if at all, until they are competitive again.

Now if they had continued with 2004-esque drafts on the other hand.... :grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by Mwjergs View Post
    When they start losing then firing Billick might be a viable answer.

Over his 8 year career as head coach.
    He is:
    75 - 53 .586 pct (Average of 9.3 wins and 6.6 losses)
    Has won 1 Super Bowl
    Has finished First twice in the AFC North
    Has been to the playoffs 4 times

Until this team starts losing, I don't want to hear it.
    The offense is as ugly as it gets. But if they win, I don't care.
    The year of the touchdown drought was also the year they won a championship. Did anyone care then???
    Thats the wrong attitude to have!! We want to improve not stay status quo or worse. It is broke, we can not beat New England like this...It needs fixing sooner rather than later. Billick has always relied on the D, now the D is aging....we are going in the wrong direction
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens