Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Billick fire himself?!?!

It really sticks in my side that I have to give props to The Baltimore Setting Sun (I would much prefer to get slapped in the belly with a fish), but Rick Maese has a good piece today ....

We're at a very similar place compared to last year. Billick canned Fassel for botching the offense. Can Billick now fire himself from O coordinator??? I agree with Rick in that Billick's ego will never allow him to fire himself from play calling duties.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...1408393.column

Re: Can Billick fire himself?!?!

Everybody, please listen up.

The playcalling, for the most part, has been fine.

The ones complaining that it hasn't been are the ones that have been complaining every year that it hasn't been, even though THIS year it's been totally different than years past.

We are seeing screens. We are seeing stretches. We are seeing creative plays.

What we aren't seeing is red zone production, and, IMO that is tied directly to the QB. It's easy to throw underneath until there is no more underneath (at the goal line). McNair lacks the arm to fit a ball in to a tight space...this is the root of our red zone deficencies. That and we dont' run the ball too well down there, either.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Everybody, please listen up.

The playcalling, for the most part, has been fine.

The ones complaining that it hasn't been are the ones that have been complaining every year that it hasn't been, even though THIS year it's been totally different than years past.

We are seeing screens. We are seeing stretches. We are seeing creative plays.

What we aren't seeing is red zone production, and, IMO that is tied directly to the QB. It's easy to throw underneath until there is no more underneath (at the goal line). McNair lacks the arm to fit a ball in to a tight space...this is the root of our red zone deficencies. That and we dont' run the ball too well down there, either.

You really believe the play calling is fine???

So throwing the ball 66 more times than you run the ball is the way to call plays. Are you serious???

We have a hurt QB and a running back who is a stud yet you think the play calling is fine. Come on get real!

Quote Originally Posted by b-more_4_Life View Post
    You really believe the play calling is fine???

So throwing the ball 66 more times than you run the ball is the way to call plays. Are you serious???

We have a hurt QB and a running back who is a stud yet you think the play calling is fine. Come on get real!
    1. Our QB isn't "hurt" any more than he was last year. He literally looks like the same exact player.

2. Rushing attempts are down across the NFL, it is a league wide phenomenon.

Billick is using the short passing game as a pseudo-running game, and, it worked against San Fran. The problem comes when we get in the redzone and McNair just has no room to throw because he can't fit it in to the tight spaces that are created in the red zone.

I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see Boller get in there and see how much, if any, our red zone offense would improve. You can't base it on 2 or 3 years ago, either, because:

1) That assumes Boller hasn't improved. May or may not be true, we dont' know.

and

2) In 2004, when Boller was our QB, WRs who caught passes on that team:

Randy Hymes
    Travis Taylor
    Kevin Johnson
    Deion Sanders
    Clarence Moore
    Devard Darling

Only one of those guys is even in the NFL right now (Darilng)...

Ironically we were able to ask coach Nueheisel after the San Fran game if he forsaw himself taking over the playcalling reigns from BB anytime soon and he politely dodged that question as if it were a wrench thrown at his head...LOL

How can anybody think the playcalling has been fine this year? We have one TD in the last 10 qtrs and have the worst offense in the AFC North. If 1 TD in the last 10 qtrs is fine what do you call bad?

Billick sucks as a play caller and has since he got here.....it's clear he does NOT know how to score TDs in his scheme. This has been going on for 6 years...get a grip people. I'd rather tank a season, get Billick fired and start from scatch then this same old broken record year after year.

It's not even fun to watch the Ravens WIN a game when it's 9-7.

FM

[QUOTE=Fanman]Billick sucks as a play caller and has since he got here.....[QUOTE]

Umm, he's only been calling plays since about four games into last season.

I do think the playcalling could be better, but I tend to agree with RavensNTerps that the execution in the red zone is a bigger problem than the playcalling.

wrong...Billick has been in on the playcalling to a large degree since he got here....that's not news. Cavanaugh ran every play thru Billick and Fassel did not have total control as OC either. The common thread on the inept offense has been Billick the whole time.

FM

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Billick did not call the plays when Cavanaugh and Fassel were here. Your contention was he has been a bad play caller since he got here when in fact he only has called plays since game 7 of last year.

Before that he called plays in Minnesota and was apparently pretty good at it, I wonder if having a strong armed QB, top flight RB, great OL, Chris Carter and Randy Moss had anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    How can anybody think the playcalling has been fine this year? We have one TD in the last 10 qtrs and have the worst offense in the AFC North. If 1 TD in the last 10 qtrs is fine what do you call bad?

Billick sucks as a play caller and has since he got here.....it's clear he does NOT know how to score TDs in his scheme. This has been going on for 6 years...get a grip people. I'd rather tank a season, get Billick fired and start from scatch then this same old broken record year after year.

It's not even fun to watch the Ravens WIN a game when it's 9-7.

FM
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Billick could call the perfect play to exploit the weakness in the defense, and if McNair can't throw the ball there, it's moot.

There has been plenty of change. The playbook LOOKS different this year, and when Boller was in, to be honest, the offense has looked PRETTY good...

He drove down the field @ Cincy (and threw a TD...another story)...played well against the Jets, drove down against the Cardinals...i think he should start and see what happens from there.

Play calling is an art and Billick is no Picasso. As the head play caller u have to game plan to the strength of ur team. McNair is either hurt or has lost his arm strength. Either way we can't throw beyond 20 yards. That seriously limits ur playcalling. Just give McGahee the damn ball.

Everyone! The offense problems are numerous not just play calling. With McNair's ineptness to make good throws and lack of agility and BB play calls all mixed together make an ugly combination. Such a lackluster offensive showing has got to be many reasons combined to make that happen. There is no one final answer. It's something we will need to live with until BB's tenure here in Baltimore is over.