Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: what do you guys see for the future of Tyrod Taylor

Tyrod has had a pretty good gig here. he gets to stay healthy, make good money and take part in the team success. If I were him, I would stay in Baltimore. Even if that meant passing up a little more money somewhere else. But, I would understand if he wanted to try and be a starter somewhere else.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    His release this year when he clearly wasn't ready has nothing to do with next year. They weren't going to cut Tyrod and go with a guy who needed a lot of work as the only backup, and they weren't going to carry 3 QBs. Wenning will be the backup next year.
    That doesn't make any sense. I agree he wasn't ready but sitting on the practice squad isn't going to get him to a point where he'd beat out Taylor. Taylor has the inherent advantage of experience under Flacco. Sitting at home isn't going to push Wenning past Taylor on the depth chart.

He was brought in as a possible replacement for Taylor THIS season. When he flunked, they cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Can't see him having a career in the NFL. His future is in coaching/sales
    Seriously? Have you seen what some teams trot out on the field. Tyrod will find ways to win , the pedigree at Tech and now as the quiet backup SB winning QB of the Ravens. From what I hear, he absorbed Kubiacs stuff pretty good, unless it's BS. don't know

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. I agree he wasn't ready but sitting on the practice squad isn't going to get him to a point where he'd beat out Taylor. Taylor has the inherent advantage of experience under Flacco. Sitting at home isn't going to push Wenning past Taylor on the depth chart.

He was brought in as a possible replacement for Taylor THIS season. When he flunked, they cut him.
    I agree with Bhc. Wenning was brought in because Taylor is a free agent after the season. It means nothing that they cut him.

Assuming he doesn't ask for dumb money, it's going to come down to his cap hit.

He will be entering his fifth year. Minimum salary is $685,000. Assuming SportTrac is accurate, he's making $645,000 now. I don't see the team fretting over a $40,000 bump.
    I think that won't due. He will get 1m per. What's the average salary of the game's most important position in backup? I thought 1-2.5m., if it's a vet contract. Rookie is totally different, and Taylor will be vet status in 2015.
    Last edited by alienstar; 01-02-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    Seriously? Have you seen what some teams trot out on the field. Tyrod will find ways to win , the pedigree at Tech and now as the quiet backup SB winning QB of the Ravens. From what I hear, he absorbed Kubiacs stuff pretty good, unless it's BS. don't know
    Word in preseason was that Harbaugh was disappointed in him. His career stats are 19/35 for 199 yards, 0 touchdowns, 2 interceptions (both pick-sixes) and a passer rating of 47.2. I don't think he'll ever start an NFL game.

He won't be on this team next year and he will be a backup on some other scrub team who needs a QB.

I don't care what he did in college, doesn't mean shit in the NFL. Crack houses and Bankruptcy are littered with once great college players who couldn't make the leap.

Tyrod's problem is , he is a QB who can't throw. He is a cheap rental on a rookie contract that will be replaced with another cheap rookie on a cheap rookie contract. If Joe goes down, the season is over so it doesn't matter who is the backup. Better to have a kid who can manage a game or 2 for a short term injury then anything else.

He is a young troy smith, except troy could actually throw.

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    I think that won't due. He will get 1m per. What's the average salary of the game's most important position in backup? I thought 1-2.5m.
    According to this article, the average is just over $2 Million. I don't see why averages have anything to do with this though. Each player has their own specific value. Taylor's value is rather low.

If he goes into a negotiation this year demanding a large increase, especially in the neighborhood of the league average, he's going to be disappointed.

You had me until you said "Troy could actually throw."

It seems coincidental that they draft Wenning in Tyrod's last contract year. I don't think they expected him to replace Tyrod this year but wanted to give him a year to learn our system. I don't believe the Ravens have any intention of keeping Tyrod after this season. I could very well be wrong but time will tell. Tyrod may have been a winner at VT but he hasn't impressed me at all in the few times he's been on the field or started a game in pre-season. He seems like a super nice guy on a personal level though.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven — and I’m a Baltimore Raven – what I think of is we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. “That’s the Baltimore Raven way, that’s the bully way, and that’s football.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGirlBleedsPurple View Post
    It seems coincidental that they draft Wenning in Tyrod's last contract year. I don't think they expected him to replace Tyrod this year but wanted to give him a year to learn our system. I don't believe the Ravens have any intention of keeping Tyrod after this season. I could very well be wrong but time will tell. Tyrod may have been a winner at VT but he hasn't impressed me at all in the few times he's been on the field or started a game in pre-season. He seems like a super nice guy on a personal level though.
    I am not extolling the virtues of Taylor by any stretch. But when the team cut Wenning, that told me everything I needed to know about if he wold be Taylor's replacement.

You're not going to beat out someone while you're on the practice squad. I agree, the team hoped Wenning would be the replacement. But when they got a look at him, they saw he wasn't the answer.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted a late round QB again to compete, especially if Taylor overestimates his value and asks for crazy money.