Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Has the secondary turned the corner, or is it just that have they just played awful QBs?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious...we've played some horrible QB's.
    And we're done here.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Re: Has the secondary turned the corner, or is it just that have they just played awful QBs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger is better than all of the previous four QBs they've faced combined.
    Ain't that the truth. He's also coming off his best season in pretty much forever.

Interesting thread and many good replies. I tend to agree with the posters who feel that Webb’s recovery and Melvin’s surprisingly strong play are bigger factors in the secondary’s success than our facing weaker quarterbacks. Add in Hill, too, after a six-game suspension; this Pittsburgh matchup could be Will’s big game.

Anyway, the outcome of our meeting with Roethlisberger, A. Brown and company will provide some answers, and we Ravens are all pulling for something positive.

By the way, the OP apologized for the thread's title, but I feel that the title, though long, was very effective. It was certainly better than the type of titles we see very often on our forum such as “I was thinking…” and “Suggs,” which are unhelpful or vague. The OP’s title clearly explained what we could expect to read about and discuss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    And we're done here.
    +1

really hoping our front seven gets the pressure on, esp if Bell is hurt and there isn't much running game.
    unknown factor; will Ngata be rusty after weeks off, or might he have fresh legs and be ready to go? here's hoping the latter.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

While we haven't faced tough competition, I think the secondary has been looking better. Webb has looked a lot healthier and even is hitting hard again. The communication is better too. On the INT Webb had last week, Gannon (I think) even stated that he knew he had backside help from Hill so he could gamble and cut the route to go for the pick.

Dev made a great point in his article about disguising the pressure. They need to mix it up to keep Ben confused - show blitz and drop into coverage, delayed blitz, etc. I don't think we want Webb jamming Brown at the line because if Brown slips it, he's gone. Give him a cushion so he doesn't get by, don't bite on double moves, and just close quickly and wrap up. Webb is a solid tackler.

My biggest fear is that we play well but don't put enough points up, ie FGs instead of TDs. If Pitt is close, that's when Brown always does the most devastating damage. 3rd and long and he burns you for a 40+ yard TD.

Perception is reality.
    The secondary has been better and it's been against a bunch of scrubs.
    But confidence is an interesting thing...hoping it continues into this week and further...

Blog Entries

Yeah, they even had to update the team secondary picture!

I think it would be worth disrespecting Pittsburgh's running game in order to increase pass coverage. I'd like to tempt them into wasting downs on rushes.

Blog Entries

With ben tate id much rather let the front 5 handle him and drop the rest into coverage. With a blend of man and zone. Hill needs to be roaming deep the whole time. While Elam splitting time with Miles need to be just behind the linebackers covering a middle zone, i.e just the middle of the field. Let the Corners push guys to the outside and let the sideleine be another defender because if they go inside Elam or Miles will be waiting. If you can get there to break up the pass in time at least lay a devestating hit. Ill take the 15 yards a couple times if it send the message. Time to stop playing pussy football and play Ravens football.

Take that 15 yarder, and the next time do it again and take another. Cause they wint go across again. The second time will be the "ha they got penalized their gonna be scared to hit" and than lay the fucking wood on them. Give them the interpretation that yeah well take these all night but youre gonna leave on a stretcher if we take too many.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    With ben tate id much rather let the front 5 handle him and drop the rest into coverage. With a blend of man and zone. Hill needs to be roaming deep the whole time. While Elam splitting time with Miles need to be just behind the linebackers covering a middle zone, i.e just the middle of the field. Let the Corners push guys to the outside and let the sideleine be another defender because if they go inside Elam or Miles will be waiting. If you can get there to break up the pass in time at least lay a devestating hit. Ill take the 15 yards a couple times if it send the message. Time to stop playing pussy football and play Ravens football.

Take that 15 yarder, and the next time do it again and take another. Cause they wint go across again. The second time will be the "ha they got penalized their gonna be scared to hit" and than lay the fucking wood on them. Give them the interpretation that yeah well take these all night but youre gonna leave on a stretcher if we take too many.
    With the wet heavy football and windy conditions, forcing Ben to throw to the outside in those conditions makes sense, it's a longer throw. Throwing the deep ball can be a challenge if the weather gets nasty.

Webb has looked better and Melvin has at least looked competent. The best thing that can happen for the secondary is consistent pressure, that's what I'm paying attention to. Their offensive line has steadily improved this year. I expect they're going to try to run even without Bell, it's just that kind of game to play in these conditions.
    Last edited by Bigfish; 01-03-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ain't that the truth. He's also coming off his best season in pretty much forever.
    It's arguably the best pass blocking o-line he's ever had, too. I don't think that's mere coincidence...