Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: BSL: Steelers Game Plan on Attacking Rashaan Melvin

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Let's not get carried away now lol. He has limits and isn't starter quality. He lacks speed and the size. He plays better in zone vs just being able to lock on a guy and shut him down.
    Rashaan Melvin 6'2" 193 lbs 4.42 40
    Jimmy Smith 6'2" 205lbs 4.46 40

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...thern-illinois

http://strongright.com/jimmy-smith-mx-49967-42758.php

You are correct in that he may play slower then he runs but makes up for it in physicality.

I would love having 2 6'2" corners that can play.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Let's not get carried away now lol. He has limits and isn't starter quality. He lacks speed and the size.
    He's the biggest corner on the roster & IR list besides Jimmy Smith. 6'2", 195 is plenty big enough.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Has yet to give up a TD in 3 games. That's starter quality at least right now.
    Three games against Connor Shaw, Case Keenum, and Blake Bortles.

I don't discount the guy, but the whole defense only gave up two TDs in those games. The fact that neither one was scored directly on Melvin does nothing for my opinion of him one way or another.

If we can still say he has yet to give up a TD when the clock strikes midnight Saturday, I'll count that as a huge chip in his favor.
    "Chin up, chest out."

He's fast and big enough. He got his chance to show he could play with the big boys and how about that? He balled. There's too many draft snobs. Guy could be Bobby Boucher and people will deny their own eyes. He's been sticking to receivers, contesting catches, making tackles blitzing and catching RBs from the backside. He's cut through a few blocks well. He can play. What the hell else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityCrab View Post
    For a guy who we randomly picked off the scrap heap when all of our other cornerbacks were getting hurt, Melvin has been fairly impressive. I could see him sticking as a nickle or dime guy with an impressive training camp even after everyone gets healthy and we reload a bit through free agency and the draft.

He certainly plays with *a lot* of enthusiasm. I'm not sure I've seen a player who looks as happy to be doing what he's doing as that guy has these past few weeks.
    Agree. I think he sticks because in a season of epic fail in our secondary, he was one of the few bright spots. He was unexpectedly thrust into the spotlight and he didn't wither. You can definitely see his enthusiasm, as you said. He basically looks like a live wire out there, eager to be around the ball/play.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Three games against Connor Shaw, Case Keenum, and Blake Bortles.

I don't discount the guy, but the whole defense only gave up two TDs in those games. The fact that neither one was scored directly on Melvin does nothing for my opinion of him one way or another.

If we can still say he has yet to give up a TD when the clock strikes midnight Saturday, I'll count that as a huge chip in his favor.
    No doubt. But the guy is keeping everything in front of him and making plays. How many blown coverages did we see earlier in the season? I haven't really seen any guys really wide open in the past few weeks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Rashaan Melvin 6'2" 193 lbs 4.42 40
    Jimmy Smith 6'2" 205lbs 4.46 40

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...thern-illinois

http://strongright.com/jimmy-smith-mx-49967-42758.php

You are correct in that he may play slower then he runs but makes up for it in physicality.

I would love having 2 6'2" corners that can play.
    Hmmm looks smaller on the field.

In any case yeah i think he sticks around for depth. Im not going to bank on him being a starter though lol. Plus like was said. Hes better in zone coverage where jimmy and webb are both better in press man. I.e a good dime back if we go cover 3

BR will have to take a chance and test him out. If Melvin plays physical and keeps his eyes on the ball, watch out. If he can match speed with receivers, the problem will be the steelers, not the ravens. Big game for Melvin to show his worth.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    He's fast and big enough. He got his chance to show he could play with the big boys and how about that? He balled. There's too many draft snobs. Guy could be Bobby Boucher and people will deny their own eyes. He's been sticking to receivers, contesting catches, making tackles blitzing and catching RBs from the backside. He's cut through a few blocks well. He can play. What the hell else is there?
    He's made a couple of mistakes. For example: Let a receiver get behind him or couldn't keep up on a route breaking toward the middle of field. The three inexperienced QBs missed it. Ben will not.
    Melvin.jpg

Melvin_texans.jpg