Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachwatch 2014

Coachwatch 2014

Guess it's time to start the tragicomic speculation on which Head Coaches will be losing their positions this year.

Coughlin, NYGiants. Their D was severely criticized Sunday for giving up, specifically avoiding tackling (anyone know how Jameel McClain is doing there?) TC has had a good run but I think he's tired of it. I suspect they'll promote from within but I don't have any special insight. I say 75% chance of leaving.

Rivera, Panthers. Has won just enough games in the past to get hopes up but looks like he's done. They want to get some wins with Cam nearing his peak. 80%

Smith, Falcons. Maybe they'll give him another year and count this as just an aberration. They're 3-6, two wins against the Bucs, not what they were expecting this year. 50%

Rex, NYJ. I blame the talent drain more than him. I see him doing tv for a year or two (keep the bleep button handy) and returning as a HC. He's done pretty well for an average-talent team, including some playoff wins. 50%

Testman, Bears. while most teams struggle with poor QBing, he has Jay Cutler. They've taken a step backwards, esp on D (that often happens with offensive-minded coaches). Critics might respond that Cutler is throwing too many picks and not playing all that well; well isn't that the coaches fault? 80%
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Re: Coachwatch 2014

Rivera was coach of the year last year; I think they have to give him time. Smith yes, I think he's gone. Coughlin likely gone too. They should've fired Trestman at halftime of the GB game ;) If I was him I'd bench Cutler; that's his only option to turn things around IMO.

Jet fans seem to want the GM fired a lot more than the head coach and they clearly have a void of talent, all while sitting on cap space. Will be interesting to see how it goes, normally you have to give the GM a chance to pick his own coach.

And the Raider merry go round will likely continue as well

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

in re; Raiders; I was surprised they dumped Allen so soon. I hear Spags is well regarded (coached the Phins to a division title) but so far not much improvement.
    I had forgotten Rivera was CoY. seems like a long, long time ago.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Rivera. doesn't look good. going into the weekend they still had a legit shot at their division.
    Rex. Had a good run.
    Not looking good for Jim Harbaugh. I'm sure he'd find a gig quick (Jets?)
    Spags in Oakland. They win a big game and have ten days to prepare, then get codswalloped by a .500 Rams team. another Harbaugh landing place?
    Coughlin. I think he's ready.
    Testman. this team is going downhill.
    Smith (Falcons) migh yet save his job. If he goes 7-9 and wins the division could he still get canned?

am I missing anyone?

Blog Entries

There have been rumblings about the Bucs canning Lovie Smith too after just 1 year. Doubt it happens though.

I also can't see the Bears parting ways with Trestman.

Don't forget the Redskins and Jay Gruden. That guy just might flat out want to leave.

The University of Florida is going to pursue luring Chip Kelly back to college ball. Josh McDaniels has been rumored as well.

Lastly, the Bills might move on from Doug Marrone. New ownership...they may clean house after this year unless the Bills magically make the playoffs (unlikely).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Brady Hoke out at Michigan.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Brady Hoke out at Michigan.
    http://forum.russellstreetreport.com...atch-has-Begun

fantalk of Jim Harbaugh going there. guess it could happen.

Cool Re: Coachwatch 2014

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    There have been rumblings about the Bucs canning Lovie Smith too after just 1 year. Doubt it happens though.

I also can't see the Bears parting ways with Trestman.

Don't forget the Redskins and Jay Gruden. That guy just might flat out want to leave.

The University of Florida is going to pursue luring Chip Kelly back to college ball. Josh McDaniels has been rumored as well.

Lastly, the Bills might move on from Doug Marrone. New ownership...they may clean house after this year unless the Bills magically make the playoffs (unlikely).
    Would I love to see Rivera fired in Carolina and the Ravens move in and hire him as DC rather than keep Pees or move Spags to DC or hire from within!

Never happen though!

Rex, Jim Harbaugh, Smith and Testman's teams all lost this week. Jets at least went into overtime, but it was only the Vikings.
    Big win for Spags at Oakland. 49ers are fading fast and it'll be interesting to see how they handle the offseason. Anyone with any inside knowledge of SF?
    Carolina wins big and can win the division! NFC South is a fun division this year. All four coaches are generally well thought of, Smith and (the Saints coach whom I forget) have had past success, Lovie went to a SB in Chi, and Rivera was CoY.
    Coughlin's team won big. A few wins at the end could help him retire with dignity. No one wants to walk away after losing five of six or whatever.
    I think there's some buzz about dumping Gruden in DC after only one year. pretty disappointing season.

the song is the same this week; JimHarb, Smith, Testman all lose.
    Testman is benching Cutler, a sure sign of desperation (or exasperation).
    Trailhikers thread on subject here: http://forum.russellstreetreport.com...nch-Jay-Cutler

Rex won. too little too late?
    Rivera might be saved yet. Don't hear many calls for Payton in N'Awlins.
    guy on NY talk radio speculated Coughlin is so in love wi that receiver Beckham he might stick around for another year.

JimHarb is supposedly getting a huge offer from U Michigan
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...er-to-harbaugh
    resignation > firing, eh?
    any DC fans hear anything on Gruden? (most of us don't care, I know...)

Looks like (John)Harbaugh might outlast both his brother and his 2008 counterpart

Mike Smith looks to be on the way out in Atlanta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Looks like (John)Harbaugh might outlast both his brother and his 2008 counterpart

Mike Smith looks to be on the way out in Atlanta
    Not sure if things have changed but I think it would be a mistake to fire Smith. If they win tomorrow that's 5 playoffs in 7 years IIRC. Even a loss, with the Oline injuries and shitty defense, not sure they can find someone to do a lot better. I've heard Rex rumored to Atlanta and it would probably fire up the fan base but how many times did he get the Jets to the playoffs - twice?

Sometimes patience pays off.

I think Rex would be a good fit for Chicago, though. He'd love to have Cutler and he'd get that defense in shape IMO.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!