Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: CB or Skill Player in Round 1?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Do not agree with either of you. In today's NFL, you've got to have 3 starting quality CBs due to the passing rules. I believe, although I know we couldn't have resigned him, that if Corey Graham was still with the Ravens, this season would look a lot better to us today. Copraven, you post "Jimmy and Webb likely entrenched..." without considering J.Smith had a season-ending injury and Webb seems a shadow of his former self. Our team needs Cbs for 2015 badly IMO... Bc
    You're not disagreeing with me at all.

From our perspective, we badly need another starting quality conerback.

From a free agent cornerback's perspective, you can easily find a team where you have better prospects of being the #1 or #2 guy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    How many teams have 3 starting quality corners? How many of those teams can afford to keep all 3 after this season? I agree losing Corey was a big blow. There was just no way to keep him.
    There wasnt a way to keep him because he didnt want to stay. We COULD have gone after Flowers or Cromartie etc.... And didnt. Not even going to go over that again as its already been beaten to death this year. But it WAS possible to add one.

As for needing 3 corners or teams having 3 starting CBs. Denver, NE, SD, Cinnci etc all have 3 really good corners. I dont care what Webb thinks about hes getting back to form, hes not. Hes a 3rd CB nowadays. And not a reliable one either. Well bring in a Maxwell or someone like that because theyll start alongside Jimmy. And if Webb can actually stay healthy than well have our 3rd CB. Than theres Asa. Draft a guy later on to groom and keep the best of Melvin and the rest. While statshing one on the PS and dumping the rest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    You're not disagreeing with me at all.

From our perspective, we badly need another starting quality conerback.

From a free agent cornerback's perspective, you can easily find a team where you have better prospects of being the #1 or #2 guy.
    Whoever comes here will be the 2. Webb is going to be asked to take a big pay cut. He might possibly even be released if he doesnt. Not to mention hes a shell f his former self. He has zero impact on who comes here and starts.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Whoever comes here will be the 2. Webb is going to be asked to take a big pay cut. He might possibly even be released if he doesnt. Not to mention hes a shell f his former self. He has zero impact on who comes here and starts.
    Webb has a HUGE impact on who comes here. It's unlikely that Webb takes a paycut, so there's two scenarios:

1: We cut Webb, giving us $2m in cap space for the 2015 season. We are then in the market for a bigname cornerback, say Byron Maxwell. Maxwell comes in and is our #2.

2: We keep Webb, paying him $8m in 2015. When making such a large financial commitment to Webb, it's because you believe he can be our #2. With Jimmy and Webb both on the roster, it's not attrative for Maxwell or any other big name to come here, and you have to settle for relatively unknown names.

I've been a fan of option #1 for a long time, but Webb has really played well in recent weeks, so I'm starting to favor option #2.

Blog Entries

I want Amari Cooper.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Webb has a HUGE impact on who comes here. It's unlikely that Webb takes a paycut, so there's two scenarios:

1: We cut Webb, giving us $2m in cap space for the 2015 season. We are then in the market for a bigname cornerback, say Byron Maxwell. Maxwell comes in and is our #2.

2: We keep Webb, paying him $8m in 2015. When making such a large financial commitment to Webb, it's because you believe he can be our #2. With Jimmy and Webb both on the roster, it's not attrative for Maxwell or any other big name to come here, and you have to settle for relatively unknown names.

I've been a fan of option #1 for a long time, but Webb has really played well in recent weeks, so I'm starting to favor option #2.
    Were not paying Webb 8M in 2015. That was never a option. Back when it was signed even Ravor agreed hed never see that. And thats when he was playing at a all pro level.

Im pretty confident he'll take a paycut under a more cap friendly deal and be put into the 3rd cb role. He might even just do a cheap 2yr prove you can stay healthy deal and after 2015 we let him walk to get bigger money elsewhere because thats when were gonna have to pay jimmy.

Given how Oz works im guessing itll be the later. I need to go back and see what his dead money is first.

Were not paying Webb 8M in 2015. That was never a option. Back when it was signed even Ravor agreed hed never see that. And thats when he was playing at a all pro level.

Im pretty confident he'll take a paycut under a more cap friendly deal and be put into the 3rd cb role. He might even just do a cheap 2yr prove you can stay healthy deal and after 2015 we let him walk to get bigger money elsewhere because thats when were gonna have to pay jimmy.

Given how Oz works im guessing itll be the later. I need to go back and see what his dead money is first.
    Ravor has never said that, I believe you're confusing it with what he said about Ngata. Here's what Ravor actually said:

Because of this, it is likely that the Ravens would like to get at least one more year from Webb, even if it costs them $8M in base salary in 2015.
    Source: http://russellstreetreport.com/2014/...avens-in-2015/

Blog Entries

Actually Webb cap hit is 12M this year. If hes a post June 1 release it carries dead money of 4M this year and 6 next. Not entirely sure how if we just restructure or release and resign how all that works.

Bottom line hes not going to be playing here for 12M.

Bottom line hes not going to be playing here for 12M.
    There's a very real chance that happens. It's going to be one of toughest decisions for the FO this offseason, whether to keep Webb or let him go. It's around 50/50, though I think they keep him.

Blog Entries

Ravor has never said that, I believe you're confusing it with what he said about Ngata. Here's what Ravor actually said:

Source: http://russellstreetreport.com/2014/...avens-in-2015/
    No im talking about when Webb first signed the contract. Now because of Rice and Pitta and being hamstrung were likely to keep him one more year. BUT that doesnt mean hell be the starter. We need a starter alongside Jimmy. Webb if he stays healthy can cover the slot. Thats where hes been the best in his career anyway.

I still think they bring a starter in and wait till the later rounds for depth. The past 2 years they've dumped most of the draft resources into the D. We have a ton of young very good players and now we need to add just a couple quality vets. The draft will push towards the offense this year. We may draft a pass rusher in rd 1 just because there are so many really good ones available and both suggs and doom are over 30. But the rest will go to infusing the O with young talent.

Thats pretty much what Oz said he was gonna do after the SB. Build up the D with young talent than move to the offense.

Blog Entries

There's a very real chance that happens. It's going to be one of toughest decisions for the FO this offseason, whether to keep Webb or let him go. It's around 50/50, though I think they keep him.
    I think he might stay also. Thats alot of dead money. But he wont be after 2015 and he cant be counted upon anyway. Theyll go get a starter. If they didnt learn their lesson from this past year than i dunno. They trot out Jimmy Webb even a high draft pick and Asa and were gonna be in the same boat next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    How many teams have 3 starting quality corners? How many of those teams can afford to keep all 3 after this season? I agree losing Corey was a big blow. There was just no way to keep him.
    Let's put Graham aside because we both know the Ravens couldn't resign him. If you don't want 3 quality CBs, then don't set your sights on the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl. That's (almost) like not having a spare tire because the chances of a blowout are slim... Bc