Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Proposed Solution for Ravens Secondary Problem

Here is an idea that would help alleviate a recurring negative trend. What I mean specifically by a 'negative trend' is this: Ravens defensive backs are getting injured at an alarming rate - and there are still two remaining regular season games to play. By the time the playoffs are here (assuming the Ravens qualify), there won't be enough legitimate, healthy, and effective defensive backs (first/second/third-string) to support any kind of Ravens success in the postseason.

My proposal consists of six parts:

1. Ravens clinch a postseason berth THIS week (Week 16). Obviously, to accomplish this they need help from other teams. Otherwise ... NEVERMIND!

2. Ravens immediately hold open tryouts for DB candidates (ASAP early in Week 17).

3. Ravens sign a full complement of DB candidates who 'make the cut' (i.e., the best available among those who show up).

4. For Week 17, deactivate ALL Raven DBs currently on the active roster. Substitute the replacements for them.

5. For the Cleveland game, bench ALL Ravens starters (not just the DBs).

6. Immediately after Week 17, cut all of the replacement DBs and reactivate the veteran DBs for the first round of the playoffs.

All of this is based on the idea of NOT pursuing a higher seed (fourth or fifth) once a playoff berth is clinched (i.e., the sixth seed). In my honest opinion, it makes no sense to risk critical injuries to our key players just to secure a home playoff game. Look at the Ravens postseason history. They currently hold the record for the highest winning percentage for playoff games on the road in NFL history (9-5 or 64.3 percent).

Two years ago, after the Ravens clinched a postseason berth in Week 16, Harbaugh elected to bench his starters in Week 17. They went on to win their second Super Bowl. True, at that time, they already had clinched the division which gave them a home playoff game. Nevertheless, he avoided unnecessary critical injuries in their final regular season game - not to mention allowing his 'banged up' starters an opportunity to recover. It was a makeshift bye, if you will, and it was desperately needed.

This time around it is a somewhat different situation BUT the principle remains the same: Something needs to be done ASAP to protect the Ravens' capacity for postseason success. Otherwise, why go there?

Corvus Corax
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 12-20-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: Proposed Solution for Ravens Secondary Problem

A paradox (?) = the Ravens Secondary Problem is their Primary problem... Bc

If the corners play half decent.... HALF. We can make a run. Why/how do I know this? We won a SB with one of the worst defenses I've ever seen play in one...

The solution is cross your fingers haha. We can't fix it atm. We can next season. Giving a contract to a #2 guy and a healthy Jimmy goes a long way.

If we get there. I pick us to win. Why?

Cowboys offense don't scare me.
    Eagles offense don't scare me.
    Arizona don't scare me with that QB situation
    Seattle's offense doesn't scare me(that defense is another story though)
    Falcons or whoever leads that division? HAHAHAHAHAHA.
    Packers scare me but I have a feeling that they'll be one and done. I don't know why.

Besides. We can put a ton of pressure in every one of those team's faces. Why? In the playoffs we probably have Ngata back. He's a boost regardless of whether he's regressed or not. And we have multiple options to go get them.

Don't think the Giants had a great secondary few years back when they won it vs New England....Better than ours sure, but it wasn't great. It's been done before. I think we can if we catch a hot streak.

Blog Entries

If I were the Ravens in the playoffs I'd get voodoo dolls of all the QBs and start sticking
    pins in them. It almost worked in NO for Niners when the lights went out in SB 47. ;)

Blog Entries

Who gets cut when you sign the replacement DBs? Signing a full compliment of DBs means you're cutting 4 to 6 players to make room for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Who gets cut when you sign the replacement DBs? Signing a full complement of DBs means you're cutting 4 to 6 players to make room for them.
    Fixed it for ya.

And good point on the roster limitations. Guess the OP didn't consider that...

What say we re-open this discussion AFTER the Texans game? I hope the team is not looking past the Texans. We certainly have experience at playing down to an opponent's level.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilOntheRun View Post
    If we get there. I pick us to win. Why?

Cowboys offense don't scare me.
    Eagles offense don't scare me.
    Arizona don't scare me with that QB situation
    Seattle's offense doesn't scare me(that defense is another story though)
    Falcons or whoever leads that division? HAHAHAHAHAHA.
    Packers scare me but I have a feeling that they'll be one and done. I don't know why.
    The problem is if we get there, we probably had to face either Denver or New England, and both of those offenses should scare the bejeebus out of you. If we "get there" this year, I will be freaking ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilOntheRun View Post
    Don't think the Giants had a great secondary few years back when they won it vs New England....Better than ours sure, but it wasn't great. It's been done before. I think we can if we catch a hot streak.
    Don't forget about the Pats winning with Troy Brown playing CB.
    "Chin up, chest out."

These teams the Ravens will seein the playoffs will have much better O-lines than what they have seen the last few weeks. You can not count on generating the amount of pressure the Ravens got on Bortles against Denver, New England, etc. in the playoff's the line play is typically much better.

I just was thinking of putting Jacoby Jones out at CB. QBs have a low completion percentage when throwing his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    I just was thinking of putting Jacoby Jones out at CB. QBs have a low completion percentage when throwing his way.
    Nice one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Brilliant! If they did it this week they could bill it as "Dancing With The Steers"...:p
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!