Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Can the Raven Release Jacoby After This Year?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So you are seeing it as more of a wait and see based on free agency and the draft. I agree with that. There won't be any rush to make a decision like there is with many contracts they are looking to get out of. Many times the Ravens need the cap space in March for free agency so they have to make those cuts and restructures early. If that's the case this year I can still see them waiting until they know who else at the position is on the roster.
    +1 I haven't been really excited watching Jacoby this year, but I think the only way he doesn't return to the team is if the economics of his contract make it fortuitus for the team to let him go in order to resign another player. I could see a scenario where they let him to to make sure Jimmy Smith has the money to stay. They could do the same thing regarding resigning Torrey Smith. I'd have no problems with that either way. I like Jacoby, but he ain't running like he did last year, and he ain't getting any better at WR.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Jones is a good returner, dont get me wrong, but I think a lot of it is Rosburg and the blocking. Pretty much whoever weve put back there has looked very good, imo. That makes him expendable to me. Campanaro could easily replace his ability and offer something on offense, for cheaper.

I think it all comes down to FA and the draft. We lose Torrey, Jones stays and takes the top off. We draft a rookie and keep torrey, hes as good as gone.
    I think this is exactly the scenario. There is a deep free agent market this off season for WR's, so there is a decent chance that Torrey is back with the Ravens. Jones will be a wait and see decision with regards to roster spots, and cost benefit of keeping him vs. releasing him and going with a cheaper, albeit less potentially explosive option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Personally, I like the fact that if he can catch it, he's going to return it. There's the occasional stinker return, but he rarely doesn't make it to the 20 at least.
    It's interesting how perception sometimes doesn't mesh with reality. JJ has returned 27 kickoffs; he's failed to reach the 20 yard line 11 times. That's 41% of the time, which is quite disappointing. I thought it happened fairly frequently, but even I was shocked that he failed to reach the 20 nearly half the time.

It's also an indicator that his return average is padded because he will run it out no matter how deep he is. Even if he only gets to the 15, if he started 8 yards deep, he's got a 23-yard return.

BTW, he's 5th in return average. Being first in total yards doesn't mean jack-shyte when you return everything you can get your hands on.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    It's interesting how perception sometimes doesn't mesh with reality. JJ has returned 27 kickoffs; he's failed to reach the 20 yard line 11 times. That's 41% of the time, which is quite disappointing. I thought it happened fairly frequently, but even I was shocked that he failed to reach the 20 nearly half the time.

It's also an indicator that his return average is padded because he will run it out no matter how deep he is. Even if he only gets to the 15, if he started 8 yards deep, he's got a 23-yard return.

BTW, he's 5th in return average. Being first in total yards doesn't mean jack-shyte when you return everything you can get your hands on.
    whats that percentage when considering its close to the 20. Call it 17+? also how many does he take further than the 25? basically a yard or two for the chance he breaks one is what were trying to do with that. since over 50% of the time hes at least breaking even as it is, its still probably worth it considering those few plays he does break it.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Jacoby is a rare player with the ball in his hands. Like Ed Reed, he is one of those players that can take it all the way any time he gets the ball in his hands. He just has that tremendous field vision and is able to get defenders to get themselves just out of position enough to get around them. I really enjoy watching him return the ball, and we would miss him if we got just a normal, solid, catch-the-ball-and-get-it-to-the-25 guy like Campanaro.
    It's the whole getting the ball into his hands that's the problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nk02442 View Post
    It's the whole getting the ball into his hands that's the problem.
    This.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

Actually, according to NFL's site he's second.