Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: With 2 Games Remaining - Did you know that there are 293 different clinching options for the Ravens ?

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    LOL

Root for 49ers, Ravens, Panthers, Broncos, Cowboys, Raiders, Jets and Chiefs.
    Yep, good to see the cowboys on your list. I didn't know it until I looked at some of the scenarios, but a win by them could help us get a 3 seed which allows the possibility for an AFCC in Baltimore. Far reaching maybe, but I like to have my eyes open to all the possibilities. And suddenly I have interest in a game I might not have followed. I think that's why I like this kind of information.
    Last edited by alienstar; 12-16-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: With 2 Games Remaining - Did you know that there are 293 different clinching options for the Ravens ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulahoo View Post
    Why are the 49ers first and Ravens second?
    I'd say temporal order (since the Bolts & Whiners play Saturday) but that would be Whiners, Ravens, Chefs, BlackCats, Jests, Cowpats, Jokeland & Ponies. Although I personally would not root for the Plowboys under any but the direst circumstances, & they ain't here--the difference between #3 and #4 seeds is so minuscule & DullAss so utterly loathsome a francheese...
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    ... The Browns are actually at the bottom of the list of all NFL teams that still have a Mathematical chance...
    Interesting because I read an article, prior to the season, that listed the Browns with a ZERO chance making the playoffs. Actually, that article is reprinted before every season starts... Bc

Blog Entries

BTW props to the OP for finding that website, & to whoever on the other thread dug up the Week 16 clinching page at nfl.com. Lets me stop working the scenarios & go back to sleep...

(BTW, FWIW, if ATL wins out it takes the NFCS at 7-9. Only NO in that trainwreck of a division can finish at .500. Whoever does win it probably hosts an 11-5 WC team from the NFCW. Would be sweet revenge for the Fleurs de Brees if the Seachickens had to travel to their house & got their butts kicked there.)
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Did you know Kenny Rodgers is a poor poker player.
    No, but I know that you can save 15% on car insurance in 15 minutes with GEICO.

Blog Entries

So to simplify things. We need to win out. That's 1st

Than if the Chiefs beat Pitt and Denver beats Cinnci we win the division.

If Pitt beats the Chiefs than they MUST lose to Cinnci regardless what else happens.

The Bengals just have to lose against the Broncos or Pitt. Either one and we're in.

All in all they both need to lose 1. Period. And we win the division.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I'd say temporal order (since the Bolts & Whiners play Saturday) but that would be Whiners, Ravens, Chefs, BlackCats, Jests, Cowpats, Jokeland & Ponies. Although I personally would not root for the Plowboys under any but the direst circumstances, & they ain't here--the difference between #3 and #4 seeds is so minuscule & DullAss so utterly loathsome a francheese...
    I get where you are coming from. Yet if upsets happen to the Bye teams, guess who the right to host the AFCC defaults to. The odds are long in general, but not impossible for those 2 top seeds to lose, if it does happen the difference tween a 3 and 4 seed is no longer miniscule. It's one reason there are seeds. I'm sure there's not many , but wouldn't mind seeing a history of where conference championships fell into the home of seeds below seed 2. Maybe I try posting it later or if someone else can get it, great.
    I do know that the lowest seed with a chance of hosting is a 5, and that has never happened.
    The Cardinals hosted as a 4 seed in 2009. The remaining history I don't know at the moment.

Edit: it's only happened one other time besides the Cardinals, the 2006/07 Colts hosted as a 3 seed. Still let's not forget our current 4 Divisions per Conference with 6 seeds has only been intact since 2002. So saying that it's only happened twice in the super bowl era or in the history of the sport would not be telling the whole truth, given that the current system is only 12 years old. It's happened 2 times in 12 years is more accurate (17% , small sample sz).

What can get weird is if it's week 17, and you are locked into a 4 seed, but have a chance at a 3, do you rest starters or go for the 3 seed. I guess coaches have to hunch that one out. An example, maybe as a 4 , your getting the playoff matchup you want, so you rest players. If the 1st round matchup looks to be not so good, maybe you fight for the 3. Adding in a better chance at hosting a championship may or may not come into play.
    Last edited by alienstar; 12-16-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Did you know Kenny Rodgers is a poor poker player...
    Yeah, he's chicken... Bc

How many different options are there for not clinching?

We should have hosted the AFCC in 2011 as the #5. #6 Jets beat #1 NE, but we blew the game @ #2 Pitt.

Keenan Allen is going to miss Saturdays game against the niners with a broken collarbone. Big blow right there
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    We should have hosted the AFCC in 2011 as the #5. #6 Jets beat #1 NE, but we blew the game @ #2 Pitt.
    Wow, yea. Thanks for posting that. As I remember that, I believe it was that which actually got me started into paying attention to seeding more closely. Nice point to bring up and supported by the fact it actually involved our Ravens. I recall it would have been the first 5 seed to ever host a championship. This will happen eventually at some point in the future.