Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL playoffs- How many people believe in Reseeding?

It's clear that another team is going to win a division with a .500 or below record again this year. While I'm all for divisional rivalries, I don't think the Falcons/Saints/Panthers deserve a home game for their cities. It kills me that these people get to revel in the joys of what playoff football can do for a city when they will most likely be a losing team at the end of the season. I know you will have the Seattle Seahawks example of how a 7-9 team deserves to be in the playoffs- but that's my point: You should get rewarded just by being *allowed* in the playoffs- not by receiving a *home* game for your city. The only reason the Seahawks won that game was b/c of the boost of their 12th man in my opinion. Everyone knows that home field is a big advantage in the NFL- and the fact that an 11-win team had to go to the city of a 7-9 team sucks (and it could be worse this year where it's possible an 11 or 12 win Dallas/Philly or Seattle team could end up going to a 6 win NFC South team). Going to a team that might have won half as many games is a total sham. They just don't deserve it.

That being said- I would propose that to earn a home playoff game, you need to have a record higher than .500- and any team(s) below that should automatically get seeded last with respective to records. So even while it killed me to have to watch the 12-4 Ravens travel to the 10-6 Chiefs, I would be OK with that- but if it was either/or, I'd rather see a complete reseed as opposed to no reseeding.

I'm not sure if this would come into play, but I wouldn't see the benefit of reseeding after the initial seeding- I would just ride it out from there.

NFL playoffs- How many people believe in Reseeding?

I'm for reseeding after every round but that's it.

But I don't want to blow up the current system of winning the division giving you a spot because of the occasional losing record team happens to luck box into the playoffs every 5 or so years.

I like that division games matter and like the rivalries they foster. The NFL tinkers enough as it is.

Blog Entries

Re: NFL playoffs- How many people believe in Reseeding?

I am not advocating this, but just telling you what I heard. It seems to make some sense. On Talk Radio a guy (don't remember who, but I think he was on Colin Cowherd's show) said 'let all four division winners in, plus two Wild Cards, then seed them by record. This way a 9 - 7 division winner would have to travel to a 10 - 6 Wild Card.' Hmmm... what do you guys think? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I am not advocating this, but just telling you what I heard. It seems to make some sense. On Talk Radio a guy (don't remember who, but I think he was on Colin Cowherd's show) said 'let all four division winners in, plus two Wild Cards, then seed them by record. This way a 9 - 7 division winner would have to travel to a 10 - 6 Wild Card.' Hmmm... what do you guys think? ... Bc
    That is what I would like to see. The argument is that it takes away the reward of winning the division. I think the reward for winning the division should be the automatic playoff berth. The reward for one of the best four records in the conference should be a home playoff game.

It is kind of annoying that a team under .500 is going to make the playoffs when multiple double digit win teams across the NFL are going to miss the playoffs. Winning a sorry division got them into the post season, it should not get them a home game.

Blog Entries

I guess I'm old school but I feel winning your division is so hard it deserves a home playoff game. Even in these odd years when one division is down.

Teams draft, hire coaches, bring in FAs, select their schemes, etc. all to win their division. When Harb's came to Baltimore it was all about building a team to beat Pitt. It must be rewarded with a home playoff game IMO. The cost is so high the reward has to be there.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I guess I'm old school but I feel winning your division is so hard it deserves a home playoff game. Even in these odd years when one division is down.

Teams draft, hire coaches, bring in FAs, select their schemes, etc. all to win their division. When Harb's came to Baltimore it was all about building a team to beat Pitt. It must be rewarded with a home playoff game IMO. The cost is so high the reward has to be there.
    I think this is perfectly stated. So much is funneled into beating your divisional opponents and that is how divisions get their own unique character. I'd rather not do anything to change that and settle for the odd 7-9 team with a home game. Three types of champions in the NFL. Divisional, Conference, and World. So that team is still a champion. It is mind blowing having the possibility of a 6 win champion. Not to mention how a playoff run of said champion could restore coaching jobs and so forth.

I say keep it the way it is. But I have a feeling that with Goodell involved the "fairness doctrine" will be implemented in the near future and we'll get an NBA/NHL style playoff format where the divisions magically disappear late in the year and we get AFC top 8 and NFC top 8. Sneaks an extra week of playoffs into the mix which I know the league is hoping to accomplish.

Blog Entries

The flip side of the argument is the division with two decent teams & two doormats. Suppose the two decent teams split with one another & go 4-0 vs the doormats, then a .500 record vs all other opponents gets them to 10-6. Compare this to an ultra-competitive division in which all teams are pretty decent but beat up on each other, each going 3-3 in the division; then if 3 of the teams go .500 vs all other opponents but the fourth goes 6-4, the latter wins the division at 9-7 & gets to go on the road for its trouble.

TL; DR version: Reseeding won't necessarily prevent injustices.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

I think in the very near future its going to end up being 8 teams making it to the playoffs, the NFL wants it, its going to generate that much more money as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I say keep it the way it is. But I have a feeling that with Goodell involved the "fairness doctrine" will be implemented in the near future and we'll get an NBA/NHL style playoff format where the divisions magically disappear late in the year and we get AFC top 8 and NFC top 8. Sneaks an extra week of playoffs into the mix which I know the league is hoping to accomplish.
    Hell, why not have the division winners and then just top 4 remaining highest teams for wild cards, regardless of conferences. Seed the by lowest vs. highest ranked seeds playing on wildcard weekend. You'd have rare match ups that you never see in the playoffs. Not even sure how I del about it but just throwing out ideas.

It ain't broke -- don't "fix" it. The playoff system has been in place since 1970 or so, since the AFL-NFL merger - only changing to reflect expansions or division realignments. Super Bowl winners have been deserving. Don't change a thing!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

All division winners should get into the playoffs regardless of record. Otherwise, what's the point of even having divisions?

However, if it were up to me, the seeding would be re-done. The top two division winners should get the byes and all other seeds determined by record. I don't think a sub-.500 team deserves the opportunity to host a playoff game - simply being allowed into the tournament is a reward.