Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Lardarius Webb and his future

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Details here from earlier this year:

http://russellstreetreport.com/2014/...avens-in-2015/

While Webb's play is certainly lacking, his Cap hit is pretty prohibitive. They could still release him, but it's going to cost them and with a ton of dead money on the books already for Ray Rice, I have a feeling that they will give him one more chance next year.

The question they have to answer for themselves is if his decline in play this year is truly a decline in play or if his back injury from TC is part of the problem (and whether he can heal sufficiently and return to close to his prior form with an offseason to recover).
    we wont be in a position to strong arm him thats for sure and even though his cap hit wont match his ability (barring healing to the degree you indicate) hes still going to be one of our top options going into next year. If we draft a CB early hell likely still need time to adjust and if we sign one its not going to be a guy thats certainly better, more of a flyer type because of the money involved. assuming we draft 2 this year, I think webb finishes his final year in Bmore next year, not this one.
    -JAB

Not very bright if he continues the way he is playing. Ravens thought they had a career player, but injuries have changed that. Against average receivers, he can do something.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Not very bright if he continues the way he is playing. Ravens thought they had a career player, but injuries have changed that. Against average receivers, he can do something.
    The secondary has been a perfect shitstorm this year. Let's not put it all on Webb. He's not the player he was when they gave him that contract, but he hasn't been as exposed as he is this year. Jackson (who is no savior himself) was suspended then injured, Jimmy Smith is the real deal but also went down to injury, no more help from Ed Reed,Corey Graham, Pollard, or Ihedigbo (in fact we played the first half of the season with no safeties to speak of). So he's having what is so far his worst season physically the same year as he is playing with his weakest supporting cast yet. My gut tells me his best years are over, but with that contract and the other dead monies looming, I think they give him another year and hope he stays healthy (something he struggles to do).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I agree 100%.

I wasn't crazy about either contract from the beginning, but both RR and Pitta are throwing away cap space. Webb looks done with a shutdown corner contract and Ngata's still a great player but way too expensive. We can probably pick up a few free agents with the savings and sign guys like Forsett and Hill.
    Not saying it should or will happen but with Rice and Pitta's dead money and possibly two years out of the playoffs, a one year mini cap purge might be under consideration to build a deeper, younger team for the next several years. Ozzie would have to have a year like Dan Duquette had in 2014 to keep us at .500 or better

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    While Webb's play is certainly lacking, his Cap hit is pretty prohibitive. They could still release him, but it's going to cost them and with a ton of dead money on the books already for Ray Rice, I have a feeling that they will give him one more chance next year.
    Ravor, I suggested in another thread that they could make him a post-June 1 release, which - as you know - would save $8m for the 2015 season. Since then, however, I've found out that money gained from a post-June 1 release doesn't actually become available before after June 1. I know the cap hit rises some after June 1, as the Rule of 51 ends, but would you consider it beneficial to have $8m come off the books by June 1?