Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Receivers and defensive backs going forward

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Re: WR position next year, please stop bringing in FA's who are on the downside of their career. I don't care if it is Fitz, I don't want him. Draft a young guy and bring him along; hell draft two in the early rounds. Need a young guy who will be around a few years.
    They won't have the cap space to bring those kind of guys in. Even the guys currently under contract like Jacoby Jones and Steve Smith are going to be question marks for being on the Ravens roster in 2015. This team will be a whole lot younger next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

Love Fitz.

He'll be 32 next August. So, I think he'd still have a couple of years left in the old tank.

Still though...draft a couple of youngins, develop them, and let them become the next best thing.
    Yeah but who? Last year was chock with talent. Imagine if the Ravens traded up for Evans and still were able to land Landry or Matthews. Would you trade Mosley for that? Honestly I wouldn't. But I bet a good percentage here would. Personally I want Mosley and Matthews or Landry. Or Mosley Jerrigan and Montcrief. But sadly the FO didn't do it. I have zero faith in OZ now. So who are you hoping for? And don't say Diggs out of MD cause I dint trust his routes.

Holmes is an RFA.

Can't see the Raiders letting him go.
    Over the cap has no 2015 contract data on Holmes.
    Are the 2011 UDFAs guys still "eligible" for RFA designation in 2015?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

:word

Love Fitz.

He'll be 32 next August. So, I think he'd still have a couple of years left in the old tank.

Still though...draft a couple of youngins, develop them, and let them become the next best thing.
    Someone needs to study how dem SOB's NW of here have gotten an absolutely obscene amount of value out of drafting WRs in the middle rounds. Not just recently either. It's been historic.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Yeah but who? Last year was chock with talent. Imagine if the Ravens traded up for Evans and still were able to land Landry or Matthews. Would you trade Mosley for that? Honestly I wouldn't. But I bet a good percentage here would. Personally I want Mosley and Matthews or Landry. Or Mosley Jerrigan and Montcrief. But sadly the FO didn't do it. I have zero faith in OZ now. So who are you hoping for? And don't say Diggs out of MD cause I dint trust his routes.
    First round:

Devante Parker or Amari Cooper are my first choices with Kevin White and Jaelen Strong a very close follow.

I really like Cooper. Not sure that he'd drop to us.

I think Parker, White, or Strong are much more realistic options. All three are 6'3"+ and 210lbs+. I prefer Parker to White and Strong because I think Parker has better hands and his body control in the air is outstanding. I think he is the best receiver in this draft when it comes to tracking and adjusting to the ball in the air.

Strong is more of a YAC guy than Parker is from what I've seen and he has better straight line speed. Love his height at 6'4".

White is kind of in between Parker and Strong. White has some great skills as a receiver and has been one of the best in college this year. Love the size (6'3" 210lbs) and I love his attitude towards the game and position. He's had to fight for everything he's got right now. Can't coach that. My big gripe (and it is really NOT big at all) is that I've seen White drop some easy passes before. One in particular this past year against Maryland in the end zone. Hit him right in the hands. He should have had it and he knows it too.

I'd love to use a 1st on Parker and then use a 3rd or 4th on someone like Justin Hardy out of ECU (6' 188lbs), Josh Harper of Fresno State (6'1" 190lbs), or Nelson Spruce from Colorado (6' 200lbs).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Someone needs to study how dem SOB's NW of here have gotten an absolutely obscene amount of value out of drafting WRs in the middle rounds. Not just recently either. It's been historic.
    I know a lot of teams use a scouting service for positions like WR and CB. I'm not sure if the Steelers do, but I remember reading that teams like the Saints pay for scouting services and that's how they found guys like Lance Moore and Colston.

I'm pretty sure the Ravens do not use a scouting service and keep that stuff in-house.

Actually, that'd be a pretty good business model. You are a free-lance scouting service and you scout players, write up bios on them, game day synopsis, practice synopsis, and so on. Sell the scouting reports to teams.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Wicked. Good stuff. Gonna go take a look at those guys. BPR seems pretty solid on receiver evaluation I wonder how he feels about the guys you've mentioned.

Bottom line is though this draft is stacked with OLB talent. And we need a replacement for Suggs or Doom this year. So where does that fit in? Honestly I'd say use our first and get a surefire guy to take their place than use the next 4 rounds and double dip at DB and WR. But the question is. Are the guys that are gonna be available in those rounds able to make a differnece? Cause we really need to have a monster draft this year. If they take another ILB or S or DT or G in the first 5 rounds this year I'll probably break my remote. Lol

Regarding receivers and tight ends...
    Senior - Cap hit jumps up to nearly $5 mill next year, but dead money is around $2 (IIRC) if they cut him. He showed up against NFC South opponents, but pretty much disappeared against everyone else. He's done. He just doesn't have the juice anymore at 35 years old. CUT.
    Done? Doesn't have the juice? Yes, he has gotten fat on the NFCS. But if you project his totals against the AFCN to a full season, that would be 83 catches for 1,155 yards. If you're going to selectively look at games, look at those. Those are the big games, and he has showed up for them.

Add to that, for the first time over the past two weeks I have seen Torrey play mad and get in guys faces, and I would not be at all disappointed to have SSSr back in purple next year, depending on what other moves are made.
    Plus let's face it, pressers have not been this much fun since back before Terrell Suggs decided to become a nice guy.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I know a lot of teams use a scouting service for positions like WR and CB. I'm not sure if the Steelers do, but I remember reading that teams like the Saints pay for scouting services and that's how they found guys like Lance Moore and Colston.

I'm pretty sure the Ravens do not use a scouting service and keep that stuff in-house.

Actually, that'd be a pretty good business model. You are a free-lance scouting service and you scout players, write up bios on them, game day synopsis, practice synopsis, and so on. Sell the scouting reports to teams.
    There are 2 big scouting services called BLESTO and CEPO. They are the ones that put on the Scouting Combine every year. All but 5 teams belong to one of the those 2 scouting services. The teams that aren't members are the Ravens, Patriots, Colts, Raiders and Redskins. There are also smaller groups that the Colts, Raiders and Redskins are part of. Only the Ravens and Patriots are not members of any outside scouting group.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There are 2 big scouting services called BLESTO and CEPO. They are the ones that put on the Scouting Combine every year. All but 5 teams belong to one of the those 2 scouting services. The teams that aren't members are the Ravens, Patriots, Colts, Raiders and Redskins. There are also smaller groups that the Colts, Raiders and Redskins are part of. Only the Ravens and Patriots are not members of any outside scouting group.
    Great info, thanks GOTA!
    I remember this coming up maybe 3-4 off-seasons ago now.

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Done? Doesn't have the juice? Yes, he has gotten fat on the NFCS. But if you project his totals against the AFCN to a full season, that would be 83 catches for 1,155 yards. If you're going to selectively look at games, look at those. Those are the big games, and he has showed up for them.

Add to that, for the first time over the past two weeks I have seen Torrey play mad and get in guys faces, and I would not be at all disappointed to have SSSr back in purple next year, depending on what other moves are made.
    Plus let's face it, pressers have not been this much fun since back before Terrell Suggs decided to become a nice guy.
    Yup and he had some attitude to his game vs. NOS too. Maybe he's turned the corner. It's that consistency that's going to make him a star IMO.
    His last 4 games over a full season would be 80 / 1200 / 16.
    Best 4 game stretch since weeks 2-5 of 2013.

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Wicked. Good stuff. Gonna go take a look at those guys. BPR seems pretty solid on receiver evaluation I wonder how he feels about the guys you've mentioned.

Bottom line is though this draft is stacked with OLB talent. And we need a replacement for Suggs or Doom this year. So where does that fit in? Honestly I'd say use our first and get a surefire guy to take their place than use the next 4 rounds and double dip at DB and WR. But the question is. Are the guys that are gonna be available in those rounds able to make a differnece? Cause we really need to have a monster draft this year. If they take another ILB or S or DT or G in the first 5 rounds this year I'll probably break my remote. Lol
    That's definitely the top tier and I can't disagree with what Wicked has laid out here or in other threads.

After a "distractful" (<-- not a word) fall, I'll be ramping up my prospect game this month.
    Sadly, I'm only familiar with the top tier plus a few others like Kasen Williams, Sammie Coates and Josh Harper.

Primarily looking for guys that can get separation by any means necessary...length, feet or springs.
    Unless he's dropping passes at a double-digit rate, I don't care about his hands.

@BigPlayReceiver