Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Re: Turkey Day Games

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Oh this looks fun.

In my opinion it's because racism isn't nearly as widespread as they'd love everyone to believe. Therefore, in order to remain victims, they conveniently ascribe racists connotations to randomly selected phrases or actions. The words or actions don't have to be racist in and of themselves. Simply by insinuating you're a racist, they have turned you into a villain without that pesky thing I like to call proof.

Plus, and this is important, "angry black guy" sounds way cooler than "generic asshole".
    Lol. Wrong on every count. Way to generalize though.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Lol. Wrong on every count. Way to generalize though.
    Then why was the original comment of "thug" greeted by people insinuating SeattleRaven was a racist? Unless there's some definition of the word "thug" I'm currently unaware of, it has no racist meanings. And yet...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Then why was the original comment of "thug" greeted by people insinuating SeattleRaven was a racist? Unless there's some definition of the word "thug" I'm currently unaware of, it has no racist meanings. And yet...
    Thug
    /THəɡ/

1. a violent person, especially a criminal.
    synonyms: ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal.

So where does a college graduate playing out his dreams in the NFL fall into this definition??

I find it interesting that you are the first person in this thread to actually bring up racism. I don't think anyone in this thread could presume that SeattleRaven is a racist based off one comment. But there is clearly some level of ignorance at play when using a word like "thug" to describe Kap. And since you brought up race lets talk about it and put our pride aside for a sec and come to an agreement that the term "thug" is usually applied to minority athletes. So the reactions to his comment that you are seeing are not necessarily accusations of racism but frustration that a word like that is being so disproportionately applied to one demographic with little to no merit.

Now unless there is some private interpretation of the word that he doesn't mind sharing so that we can all be on the same page, I think we should reserve the word for athletes who are violent, criminal, ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster and villain.
    Last edited by Everything_Ravens; 11-28-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Bad day for Romo to be sure. This board would be totally unbearable if Flacco had a performance like that at home.
    With weapons like Bryant, Whitten, and Murray, even an average quarterback should look like a star.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    With weapons like Bryant, Whitten, and Murray, even an average quarterback should look like a star.
    And he often does (snicker).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    Thug
    /THəɡ/

So where does a college graduate playing out his dreams in the NFL fall into this definition??

I find it interesting that you are the first person in this thread to actually bring up racism. I don't think anyone in this thread could presume that SeattleRaven is a racist based off one comment. But there is clearly some level of ignorance at play when using a word like "thug" to describe Kap. And since you brought up race lets talk about it and put our pride aside for a sec and come to an agreement that the term "thug" is usually applied to minority athletes. So the reactions to his comment that you are seeing are not necessarily accusations of racism but frustration that a word like that is being so disproportionately applied to one demographic with little to no merit.

Now unless there is some private interpretation of the word that he doesn't mind sharing so that we can all be on the same page, I think we should reserve the word for athletes who are violent, criminal, ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster and villain.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Jerry Jones knows how to throw a party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cowboys have history of losing in Dec don't they, if I remember correctly. This may just be the beginning of the not making postseason this year.

Blog Entries

Punk should've been the word you used not thug. As Sherman routinely makes Kap his bitch lol.

Other than that you guys get all bent up for nothing. Jeez who cares if he likes him or not. Maybe that's just the symbolism he associates with someone with tattoos that routinely kisses his biceps yet routinely makes as many poor throws as he does great ones. He's not a "thug" given the definition. But that's his association and opinion. Yet you guys make it 2 pages worth of blah about it. Lol

Cool Re: Turkey Day Games

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Cowboys have history of losing in Dec don't they, if I remember correctly. This may just be the beginning of the not making postseason this year.
    I hope so! I love "Melt Face" Jerry and his Cowboys to lose any day of the week! Also, it helps the Ravens get a better draft pick in the 6th round!

Wow, a lot of opinions on the 9ers getting beat last night. York apologizing to fans may be the warning shot that causes harbaugh to be let go. Fans not happy, owner upset and even balke's daughter calling out roman. Fans, what a fickled bunch, glad the raven fans are not like that, SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    Thug
    /THəɡ/

I never said Kapernick was a thug. I just said calling him one wasn't racist. Personally I always thought the guy was of hispanic descent so the whole "he's black" thing was weird. SeattleRaven already pointed out the prison tats and being camera shy are why he considers Kapernick a thug. Notice the glaring lack of skin color.

The following quote is the only thing right you said in your entire post. "I don't think" is a good meeting point for us, because I agree with you. After that you start to trail off into nonsense though. I might have been the first to use the word, but I most certainly was not the first to bring racism into this discussion. That would be Justlovemybirds. Then Jsmooth and Terpsfan jumped in. Hell, Terpsfan accused SeattleRaven of marrying his wife because of a sexual fetish, then said he doesn't respect her.

Finally, no, we don't agree with that at all. I've seen the word "thug" applied to people of all colors which means it isn't racist. Maybe incorrect, which was never my argument, but certainly not racist.

The true racists here are Jsmooth, Justlovemybirds, and Terpsfan. Racism boils down to being prejudiced against a person of another race. Pretty sure those three nailed that low bar.