Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Where Does Forsett's Night Rank on Ravens' All-Time Single Game Rushing List?

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    I think Kubiak is the guy to thank. He was the one that wanted to bring Forsett in when no other team wanted to sign him
    Good point, I did see where Oz said he "didn't see it," but went with Kubiak and Harbaugh's recommendation.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Re: Where Does Forsett's Night Rank on Ravens' All-Time Single Game Rushing List?

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    I like Forsett a lot. He seems like a class act. But he'll be over 30 next year. Regardless of the wear on his tires, or what he does the rest of the season, that's all you need to know about contract negotiations with him.

Forsett was brought in to be a stop-gap. He was the only RB that knew the Kubiak scheme. Now Zo is getting it. IMO If Forsett's looking for a big payday, he'll end up somewhere else.
    Forsett not only knew Kubiak's scheme, he is a far better fit with the ZBS than Ray Rice would have ever been in his prime. He is much quicker than Rice ever was and also has the vision, decisiveness and acceleration to maximize every run. He also is a very good pass pro blocker and can catch the ball. Playing behing Foster and Tate is nothing to be ashamed of. I also doubt that there are many, if any, "journeyman" RBs in the league who have a career YPC average of 4.8, which is what he had before the Ravens signed him. Rice being cut has allowed us to play the RB who best fits our system. His value on the open market will be greatest to ZBS team and I hope we can sign him for a reasonable number for couple of years. For his age, he doesn't have the wear and tear of a 7 year starter.

Blog Entries

I've gone from pre-season he is only here to teach others Kubiak's system, to he is a fill in for 2 games, to the incredible enjoyment of this last game of Oh he squirted through, Oh he squirted through again, Oh he squirted through again.....
    I don't think I've been so tickled by a run sequence since Willis and McClain did the back-to-backs to Jerrah in Dallas

That said, they gave Gruden a fill piece on the Denver RBs (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis? Reuben Droghnes? .... ) and mentioned Kubiak was there .... I had always attributed that to Shanahan (cr Alfred Morris in DC) but this swung my thinking that maybe I really have to give a large chunk of the credit to Kubiak (Arian Foster)

If the above is true, then Forsett is not going to get a 3 yr contract from us, (maybe 2 yrs with bonus accounted for in year 1 with a low base salary)
    I've seen a ton of RBs who hit the wall (once their quickness or acceleration or whatever loses its edge, they become average or worse pretty quick) and it can happen rapidly, there usually isn't a slow deterioration like with a WR. True not the usual high mileage on a RB of his years, but the age is there for starters

This is a very special year for him, and I am very glad he is getting it, and getting it here.

Average RB NFL career is 3.11yrs
    Source http://www.besttickets.com/blog/unof...13-nfl-census/

There is also a very interesting article here
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...f-after-age-27
    As of this week, teams have 177 running backs under contract. Of that group, 128 (72 percent) are 26 or younger. I counted only eight runners over the age of 29. Meanwhile, there was an obvious link between the handful of mid-20s running backs who did receive multiyear contracts this spring: None have been four-year feature backs.
    showing RBs start at least 15% drop off per year after 27
    Forsett is on a pace to end this year with 600 carries over 7 seasons
    I can see him getting paid something decent but not great and not long. From us if the price is right, if not Justin, take what you can get, especially up front this is the best payday chance you are ever going to see.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

4. Re: Where Does Forsett's Night Rank on Ravens' All-Time Single Game Rushing List?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Thing is, it's not that he's some crazy athlete like Lynch, McCoy, or Peterson. He's just incredibly good at reading his blocks.
    I wonder if a job as a running backs coach could be in his future. Not his immediate future, obviously, but in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    I think Kubiak is the guy to thank. He was the one that wanted to bring Forsett in when no other team wanted to sign him
    Kubiak ran a bit of running back producing factory while he was in Houston the same way Shanahan did in Denver- or was that Kubiak also? Remember who Shanahan's offensive coordinator for a lot of those years was. Of course, there becomes the question of whether he is good at identifying talent or developing it, or both, and things like offensive line schemes and so on and so forth. However, one wonders, a) Is Kubiak significantly more likely to basically produce a running back out of nowhere to the point where we'd have a lower ceiling on how much we'd offer Forsett to return than we otherwise would and, b) Is there anything we can do to keep Kubiak here and persuade him not to take a head coaching job?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    I've gone from pre-season he is only here to teach others Kubiak's system, to he is a fill in for 2 games, to the incredible enjoyment of this last game of Oh he squirted through, Oh he squirted through again, Oh he squirted through again.....
    That's what she said? ;)

But, yes, it is good to have a strong running attack. The saying is that it all starts between the trenches (the offensive line and the defensive front seven), but, after that, it's the running game that sets up the pass and everything else. Runs also stack up time of possession and wear down opposing defenses even when they are not super effective yardage wise early in a game, and then in the 4th quarter, you break the oppositions back by running when their front seven no longer has the speed to close.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    As one poster said Forsett is a stop gap and boy has he paid big dividends for us this year but I can't see us signing him to 2 or 3 year contract. I expect the coaching staff to give Taliaferro every opportunity to win the starting job next year but would love to see Forsett return in a backup role.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The issues the Ravens have with the cap are going to force them to be conservative when it comes to a player like Forsett. They'll try to keep him but it's going to be at a price that makes sense. The market for running backs is pretty bad.

The 2 guys who got the biggest free agent contracts were Ben Tate and Chris Johnson. Tate has already been cut and CJ has completely sucked. Forsett might not be in a better position than the one he's going to be in if he stays. He's been waiting his whole career to be the man. He's not going to want to give that up by trying to latch on in Oakland or Tennessee.
    The RB market as been so devalued that I think they stand a pretty good chance of getting him back at a really decent price.

The real question - if he starts asking too much - is whether Kubiak thinks he can do this again with someone else? After all, that has sort of been the history with the Shanahan/Kubiak offense.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

6. Re: Where Does Forsett's Night Rank on Ravens' All-Time Single Game Rushing List?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    That said, they gave Gruden a fill piece on the Denver RBs (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis? Reuben Droghnes? .... )
    I love this one as a trivia question. Pretty sure there are 7 RBs who hit 1000 yards in a season for the Broncos under Shanahan/Kubiak.

Davis, Anderson, Olandis Gary, Droughns, Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis, and I never remember the last one without looking it up. Maybe Ron Dayne?

Edit: I gave in and looked it up. Denver only had six RBs to hit 1000 yds in a season in the Shanahan era (those listed above). Dayne had a high YPC in 2005, but only 500 yards. It's important to note, however, that Kubiak was in Houston for Tatum Bell's 1000 yd season. That doesn't diminish the fact that from in his 11 seasons in Denver, the Broncos had 10 seasons with a 1000 yd RB (in 2001, 3 RBs combined for over 2000 yards). Then, he went to Houston and had success with guys like Foster, Steve Slaton, and Ben Tate.
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 11-26-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Of course he wants a long term deal. Hope he can cope with reality.