Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Looks like the Ravens missed the boat on Jonas Gray

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco :
    ...Billick wanted a pile driver and drafted Jamal Lewis who did just that but Priest was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Pretty sure it's Ozzie that drafts players.
    Yeah, but the HC has his powers of persuasion too. I can't help but think (something I can't prove) that it was Billick behind the drafting of Boller when we lost out on Leftwich... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    A worse cut than Gray was Priest Holmes who became one of the greatest runners in NFL history in KC. He had trouble moving the chains in the red zone and Billick wanted a pile driver and drafted Jamal Lewis who did just that but Priest was cut.

He had no prob moving the chains in KC because Vermeil devised the blocking schemes to suit his style of running which was was similar to Rice's.

Billick couldn't figure that out but Ravens couldn't afford both Priest and Jamal.
    Priest wasn't cut. He left as a FA after his contract expired. He wasn't going to stay here and be Jamal's back-up if someone gave him a chance to compete for the starting spot. KC offered that chance, although he really didn't become the starter until the 2nd or 3rd game of the season. I'm not sure KC and Vermeil even initially realized what they had.

Also, not to really defend Billick, but the OL personnel on hand for the Ravens was much more suited to Jamal's running style. I would think they would have had to largely revamp the OL to use the type of O that KC employed with Priest.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Youre right. I meant they let him go and didn't keep him which they didn't. I said they couldn't afford both RBs. You're right again.It was after Vermeil changed the blocking schemes that Priest became so great but he was a very good runner here. We just knew Ravens couldn't keep both of them.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-17-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco :
    ...Billick wanted a pile driver and drafted Jamal Lewis who did just that but Priest was cut.

Yeah, but the HC has his powers of persuasion too. I can't help but think (something I can't prove) that it was Billick behind the drafting of Boller when we lost out on Leftwich... Bc
    OH Yea, Ozzie makes the final decision but Billick pimped Jamal big time just like he did Boller. He fell for the old throw thru the goal posts on one knee from mid field trick. I had us taking Dayne because Jamal was injury prone-lol. Well I was right. Jamal was injured in practice and went out for the year costing us the SB but we still made the POs and beat MiAMI before losing in Piss when Elvis curled into his famous fetal position with JO looking down at him with disgust.

It was also Billick who wanted Elvis big time and lobbied Ozzie for him.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-17-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Yup, but Jamal went down in first week of practice which cost us SB 36 although Shannan Sharpe said we should have one it w/o him but the team lost its swagger.
    A bigger loss than Jamal that year was Leon Searcy. Outside of Ogden that wasn't a very good pass-blocking O-line, and Zeus was as bad at pass blocking as he was dominating as a run blocker. Between a poor pass-blocking o-line and a patchwork running back corps, Grbac's year here was doomed. We still went 10-6 and won a playoff game, though.

Dilfer would have been better behind that o-line because he was tough. A lot tougher than Grbac. It wasn't a good pass blocking o-line even in the Super Bowl- recall that Banks had to go in for a couple of plays because Dilfer got hurt. He was able to go back in, though. Dilfer didn't have a great arm, but he wasn't a bad QB. He was smart and tough, and he was the right QB for that team.

Blog Entries

Yea, I forgot about Leon. We were so excited to get him then he went down. What a waste.

Great point on Dilfer. I think it was Woodson who said messing with the chemistry of that 35 SB really hurt the team. Dilfer said on Leno after the SB that he would probably be the first SB QB in history not invited back to the team. CAV told him after the game he should have been the MVP of the SB except for all those misses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    This one's probably going to haunt the Ravens for years to come. I realize that you can't put everybody you like on the 53 man roster - but you can't tell me that there wasn't one player on the 53 man roster that couldn't be released for this kid, who was on their practice squad. So much for their ability to evaluate talent. At least the Squeelers or Bungles didn't get him.
    Just like everyone was saying after Dereck Anderson and Bobby Rainey had 1 good game

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    20/20 hindsight isn't much good if your head is so positioned that all it gets you is a clear view of the lining of your colon.
    Well played.

These kinds of threads are stupid. You know who else they missed? Marques Colston, Antonio Gates, Richard Sherman, Tony Romo, Antonio Brown. If you make these kinds of threads and bemoan the players the Ravens bring in such as Torrey Smith, who despite the fact the he apparently only knows how to run a 9 route has led the team in receiving touchdowns 3 out of his 4 years here, was an important piece during the Super Bowl year, and is only 18 TDs away from breaking Todd Heap's all time record.

RBs are dime-a-dozen nowadays, and everyone knows that. I suppose if Fitzgerald Toussaint gets poached off the practice squad and has a good game in 2015, we'll be seeing a very similar thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    ... I suppose if Fitzgerald Toussaint gets poached off the practice squad and has a good game in 2015, we'll be seeing a very similar thread.
    Oh you can count on it being an annual event. Rainey (2013) Gray (2014) Toussaint (2015) ... Bc

OH Yea, Ozzie makes the final decision but Billick pimped Jamal big time just like he did Boller. He fell for the old throw thru the goal posts on one knee from mid field trick. .
    No, he fell for the old, "we are in desperate need of a QB, we tried to trade up for Leftwich and failed, and this is the only other projected first round pick available" trick. He was projected round one by pretty much everybody.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Yea man, and how about Derek Anderson whom Billick tried to sneak thru waivers. Man were they upset when Phil claimed him but he was in Derek's coach's office who got a call from Derek who said the Ravens were going to try to sneak him on the practice squad. Coach said to hold on a min.

He told Phil that Derek was the real deal so Phil put in the claim. He started a few years out there. I was at camp every day back then and thought Anderson was much better than Boller. He threw a nice long spiral.
    Agree -- and there are people now saying Anderson should be playing over Cam Newton (because right now Cam is banged up and needs time to put himself back together, not because overall he's a better player). It's the same thing as always -- his delivery really gets people buying into him. And it's very nice. I think he'd be at least a decent starter if he got the chance and yeah, better than Boller.

I will still never understand Boller being picked... wasn't even that good in college... but that subject has been done to death and the ship and all it's occupants have long ago left the harbor, thankfully...