Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Kyle Casey's article on Flacco's Mechanical Flaws and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Then he's missing the point. When a passer alters his throwing motion in the face of pressure, it's not to avoid being hit. That ship has sailed: the QB is gonna get hit. It's to get the ball out safely, without being tipped, or otherwise having its flight effected by the pass rusher. Joe senses the rush, and is putting what he can on the ball, without having a clean pocket.
    He isn't missing the point at all. Claiming that a QB has to throw off his back foot any time a defender has a step on his OLineman anywhere in front of him is obviously incorrect. One just has to watch the NFL for a weekend to know this. And all (but maybe the first one) of Kyle's examples show plenty of time to make a single step and throw.

No, it's not like that at all. In fact it's the exact opposite. A WR "alligator-arming" is failing to make a real attempt to catch the ball – he's avoiding doing his job. A QB who alters his delivery to get the ball out in the face of pressure, is doing his job.
    It is exactly like that as long as one understands that altering ones effort to avoid the hit decreases the odds of success. And simply claiming it increases the odds of success despite the evidence isn't very persuasive.

I mean have you watched QBs play? When defenders are crashing around them, they do all kinds of things: side-arm, three-quarter arm, back hand flip, jump toss, hell I've seen them switch hands and toss it left-handed. That's not "poor mechanics", that's problem solving.
    Yep, and that is not what we are talking about here. Fade-away jumper for a screen pass does not apply. Nor does it apply when a defender is spinning towards you at waist height. Or coming off the edge.

If we were talking about a JJ Watt type of defender barreling in unobstructed with arms raised and Joe squatting to the side and sidearming a ball around his arms, that would be one thing. But here we are talking about non-real-emergency pressure and fade-away throws. No need; and no increase of chance of success in these examples.

The question would be whether Joe is going into that "emergency mode" inappropriately. Has he become skittish in the pocket? But if he has, we would expect to see that reflected in his stats. There should be broad deterioration in his efficiency. Let's see:

Nope, Joe's completion pctg is the 2nd or 3rd highest of his career, his yards-per-attempt are the 2nd-highest of his career, his passer rating is the 2nd-highest of his career, his TD pctg is the 2nd-highest of his career (3 tenths of a percent of his best), his INT pctg is at his career median. Joe's on pace to get sacked 22 times; that would be a personal best for him, his lowest season-sack total of his career. At the same time, he's on pace to throw the 2nd-highest number of pass attempts of his career. So his sack rate is insane (for Joe), by far the best of his career – he's taking sacks half as often as he did in his worst year for sack%. Using ESPN's bullshit "QBR" stat, Joe's having the best season of his career: his first season over 60 by that metric, whatever it is. Pro Football Reference has their own custom stat for passers, "adjusted net yards per attempt". This is Joe's best season by that stat, his first time over 6.5.

So Joe's not playing well because of poor mechanics? Really?
    This whole blurb is basically a non sequitur. Arguing that the mistakes we can clearly see do not exist because overall Joe is playing better than ever, is not logical.

The following negates that whole argument: Kubiak's offense is better than any Joe has had, and Joe could be playing even better without the mistakes we are discussing.

Maybe; but then he chooses really bad examples. Looks more to me like he has forced his interpretation on plays that don't really represent it.
    Nah, the examples were perfectly fine (except for maybe one). They are definitely bad examples to use to claim Joe was increasing his chances of a completion by fading away on the throws, as we saw how bad the throws were. Especially the screen. I mean there is no possible way anyone can argue that was necessary or beneficial to the play, when stepping up is preferable, a sidearm throw is preferable, and a simple standing throw that he steps into for accuracy is preferable even if there would be a tiny increase in the chance it gets batted (over his chosen jump-throw).

It's funny, because Joe's mechanics are not impeccable, there is some criticism to be made. But this article is a really bad effort at it.
    The article gives three examples where Joe could have and should have stepped forward into his throw. Only the first example looks to be one where a step forward might have resulted in a shot to his knee as he was releasing it, so I can semi-excuse that one. The second one he would have been hit after he released it. The third one he wouldn't have been hit at all.

It really comes down to this: There were open receivers and enough time to get them ball, so what went wrong? Bad throws. And why do we think the throws were bad? Look at the mechanics first.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 11-15-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, I cant say if any coaches check out these forums...however, I would not be surprised in the least if folks from the organization to check them out every now and then.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I hate the bye week.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

I thought it was about the stupidest fucking thing I'd read in a while. Casey writes that Flacco is "for some reason" not stepping into his throws. And each clip he shows to support that, in each one there's a Tennessee defender lunging at Joe or falling toward his knees or something. Maybe Joe has mechanical flaws; but all the clips show is a QB altering his throwing motion because there are defenders around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode
    I will say this. I feel like I've seen Joe flinch from the rush more this season, than I have before. Or maybe this started last year: I didn't stick thru last season all the way to the bitter end, the way a committed fan should.
    Joe takes his share of hits on dropbacks. If the "some reason" Casey alludes to is that he thinks Joe is soft in addition to sloppy in footwork, I'd remind him that Joe's avoidance/rationing of contact is part of what has kept him from missing a start in his pro career. My own ongoing whine - that he doesn't pickup yards/first downs with his feet often enough - also needs to take this durability into account, as well.

The OL is improved this year but still has breakdowns. The "flinching," if that is what the off-balance or leaping throws are,may be him flashing-back on last year's shellings. He also doesn't always have folks left in to help chip for/protect him.

Blog Entries

Pressure up the middle screws up every QB in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, I cant say if any coaches check out these forums...however, I would not be surprised in the least if folks from the organization to check them out every now and then.
    I'd bet a lot folks over at 1 Winning Drive come to the site. That wasn't the issues raised by the OP though.

The issues raised was that coaches take what they read here and apply it to their coaching.

Coaches on the whole are more patient than fans are, so its easier for a fan to go " That guy isn't good, we should cut him... why hasn't he been cut yet?...I called that cut weeks ago." Coaches on the other hand go " This guy isn't good what can I do to fix this...maybe we can change the amount he plays... ok lets change the position..OK lets cut him." it is the fantasy football effect that you can just cut anyone you don't want without any real cap issues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_NY View Post
    Coaches on the whole are more patient than fans are, so its easier for a fan to go " That guy isn't good, we should cut him... why hasn't he been cut yet?...I called that cut weeks ago." Coaches on the other hand go " This guy isn't good what can I do to fix this...maybe we can change the amount he plays... ok lets change the position..OK lets cut him." it is the fantasy football effect that you can just cut anyone you don't want without any real cap issues.
    I think it was Bill Parcels who said it, "If you listen to the fans, you'll soon be one of them." ... Bc

Blog Entries

I heard John Harbaugh keeps an iPad handy and frequently checks this board during the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The issues raised was that coaches take what they read here and apply it to their coaching.
    Laughable.

I mean...half the time the fucking players dont even know all of their own teammates!

It cracks me up when you hear mic'd up sessions and someone like Flacco goes "who made that tackle? Number blah blah...who's that?"

It's like that on every team. Coaches too. "Great job 3-5! Great job!"

But yea...coaches have the time and desire to read this forum and listen to our bumpkin asses about how to run an NFL organization.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

So how is Matt Stafford doing these days?

RG3?

Matt Ryan?

When I hear all of the Flacco is "inconsistent" talk, and the mechanical issues, I look around the league, and think - that is about 96% of QBs in the NFL.

Peyton just scored 7 total points.

Brees is the QB of a losing team and just lost 2 games at home - and just led his team to 10 whole points in his last game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    So how is Matt Stafford doing these days?

RG3?

Matt Ryan?

When I hear all of the Flacco is "inconsistent" talk, and the mechanical issues, I look around the league, and think - that is about 96% of QBs in the NFL.

Peyton just scored 7 total points.

Brees is the QB of a losing team and just lost 2 games at home - and just led his team to 10 whole points in his last game.
    :word You can lump Dalton in there as well. Had about as bad of a game a QB can have last week then plays good this week.

Also... Cutler, Newton, Russell Wilson, Brady, etc... No QB has a perfect game every week.

Are we all really that upset over Flacco who has 18 tds 7 ints and a 90.7 qb rating and on pace for 4k yards? It could be a lot worse...