Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Three players you hope Baltimore ends up with...

We're less than a week out now from the 2015 NFL Draft.

We've been talking in the other thread about narrowing it down to three players for the first round. The media, and many of us on this (and other) boards get preoccupied with the 1st round, and rightly so, but I believe the base of your team is built in the subsequent rounds.

It's become a little bit of a tradition that I put up a thread to ask who are your draft favorites?

2013 Thread : HERE

2014 Thread : HERE

We all have our favorites, and they're not even necessarily the top players. Baltimore's scouts all have the ability to designate one guy their "Red Star" player.

Let's be a little more generous around here...regardless of round, who are the three players that you'll be fist-pumping like Tiger Woods around your living room if the Ravens end up drafting them?

For me, this year, those players are :

Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
    Nelson_Agholor_zpstzoevwx3.jpg

He's got terrific body control...so silky smooth in his transitions. He sells the stop & go really hard, and accelerates to top speed very quickly. He blocks very aggressively away from the ball. Everything about Agholor is impressive. He's by far my favorite player in the draft. I feel that if he'd stayed at USC for his Senior season, he would be out of our range in the 1st round. As it is, I think he's likely to go in the early to mid-2nd.

Quinten Rollins, DB, Miami (Ohio)
    Quinten_Rollins_zpsx4rwvjdy.jpg

Rollins is raw, there's no doubt, and he didn't run quite as fast as I expected at the Combine (I was disappointed that he didn't run again at Miami's Pro Day), so he may eventually move to Safety...but I'd give him every opportunity at CB before I made a move with him. He's quick as a cat, has terrific hands, and he's one of the strongest DBs I've ever seen (watch him ragdoll UMASS RT Tyrell Smith...6'5" 315 lbs...on a Corner Blitz at 1:59 remaining in the 3rd quarter).

Max Valles, DE/OLB, Virginia
    Max_Valles_zpsjblpmyvi.jpg

Valles is just a Redshirt Sophomore, and he will be the youngest player in the entire draft. Right now, he is playing pretty much on just athleticism...so he is not likely to contribute a great deal in his rookie season, except maybe as a situational rusher, and special teams player. Having said all of that, Valles' potential is off-the-charts. He played Safety in High School, and he can cover much better than most college players his size. He has terrific ability to see when he's not going to get home on the QB, and deflect passes in traffic (13 batted balls over his two seasons). Get him in the building while Suggs and Dumervil are still productive, and mentor him to get him ready to wreak havoc in a year or two.

Those are my three...who've you got?

Re: Three players you hope Baltimore ends up with...

In no particular round order: DGB, Eric Rowe, Davis Tull

Todd Gurley, Devin Smith, Jean Sifrin.

Since you probably don't mean my fantasy draft where we pull a Ditka and give up all of our picks for Cooper I'll give my favorite picks that have a chance in hell of happening. Which by chance in hell, of course I mean a snowball's because I have it on good authority that Ozzie reads this board and marks any player I like as undraftable. He's done it ever since I suggested drafting Boller years ago.

Nate Orchard- Pass rusher with the chance to get stronger, growing into the OLB position.
    Jeff Luc- I like hard hitting inside linebackers and he forces a lot of fumbles.
    Darren Waller- 6'6, 238 pound wide receiver with legit 4.46 speed? And we know he can block because he comes from Georgia Tech.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock

DGB, WR
    Maxx Williams, TE
    Steph Diggs, WR
    "The Superbowl belongs to Baltimore!" - Jim Nantz

Blog Entries

Amazing to see all the posters 2 years ago who wanted Arthur Brown. Be careful what you wish for.

I always look at this as 3 players taken in different round throughout the draft

Shane Ray, DE/OLB - The most complete pass rusher in this draft who until recently I thought we had not shot at. The next Robert Mathis? Sign me up for that!

Senquez Golson, CB - Best CB in the SEC but small. He had 10 Ints and 18 passes defended this past year which is just mind blowing. In the passing age the inside/nickel CB might as well be considered a starter. Golson is going to be a model nickelback in the NFL.

Chris Conley, WR - He's that mid-round WR prospect we always see who has some real skills and just needs to learn. Think Martavious Bryant and Donte Moncrief last year. Conley is a smart kid with some nerdy pursuits outside of football. He's going to put that brain to work and develop his skills to catch up with the talent he showed at the Combine
    Last edited by GOTA; 04-26-2015 at 07:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Amazing to see all the posters 2 years ago who wanted Arthur Brown. Be careful what you wish for.
    Ahem...(clears throat), excuse me.................."If we are looking at this from the most realistic standpoint, my three players are Jonathan Cyprien, Sio Moore and the TE from Alabama whose name currently escapes me.

Cyprien is exactly the type of new SS the Ravens are looking for. I believe he has everything the Ravens look for in a defender. He is a sound player who will play the scheme and will not blow assignments. He is a technical tackler who takes good angles to the play. The athleticism is really a bonus.

Sio Moore, in my opinion, is a player who could start day one in Ray's old spot. His versatility will fit well here and his explosiveness is also a bonus. He needs to get stronger at the point of attack and that might take a year in the gym, but the potential is there for him to be a future All Pro, who someone will get in the mid rounds.

The TE from Alabama might be the best blocking TE in this draft. With someone like Dennis Pitta and someone with Flacco's arm, the need for athleticism at the position is far from dire. I would prefer someone who can go out there and put backers on their ass, before catching a pass or two, rather than some uber-athletic TE who can't block for shit.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

I always look at this as 3 players taken in different round throughout the draft

Shane Ray, DE/OLB - The most complete pass rusher in this draft who until recently I thought we had not shot at. The next Robert Mathis? Sign me up for that!

Senquez Golson, CB - Best CB in the SEC but small. He had 10 Ints and 18 passes defended this past year which is just mind blowing. In the passing age the inside/nickel CB might as well be considered a starter. Golson is going to be a model nickelback in the NFL.

Chris Conley, WR - He's that mid-round WR prospect we always see who has some real skills and just needs to learn. Think Martavious Bryant and Donte Moncrief last year. Conley is a smart kid with some nerdy pursuits outside of football. He's going to put that brain to work and develop his skills to catch up with the talent he showed at the Combine
    I don't follow. Since some of us on here, including me, wanted Arthur Brown, we have to be "careful what we wish for" in future drafts? Why? None of us are scouts or NFL executives. But, it's fun to have a wish list of prospects that we know deep down the team couldn't care less about. And, by the way, the prospects that you listed may never pan out, either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I don't follow. Since some of us on here, including me, wanted Arthur Brown, we have to be "careful what we wish for" in future drafts? Why? None of us are scouts or NFL executives. But, it's fun to have a wish list of prospects that we know deep down the team couldn't care less about. And, by the way, the prospects that you listed may never pan out, either.
    Ahem...(clears throat)...excuse me...from GOTA 2014

Odell Beckham Jr.
    Bishop Sankey
    Louis Nix
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

And GOTA 2013:

Jesse Williams DT Alabama - Cody is a flop. I heard the guy who does the color commentary for Alabama say that Williams is the strongest player in the history of the team and in his opinion the best of the Bama players coming out this year. That's very high praise.

DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson - Hopkins just seems like a perfect fit for the Ravens receiving corp. I like the idea of having someone who can run nice routes and dominate underneath while the 2 burners take care of things over the top.

Kiko Alonso- ILB Oregon - I really see the Ravens moving towards a rotation at ILB. Alonso is that 3rd down nickle backer that they just don't have. He also had 14 tackles for loss this past season which means he can pressure as well as cover.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    And GOTA 2013:

Jesse Williams DT Alabama - Cody is a flop. I heard the guy who does the color commentary for Alabama say that Williams is the strongest player in the history of the team and in his opinion the best of the Bama players coming out this year. That's very high praise.

DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson - Hopkins just seems like a perfect fit for the Ravens receiving corp. I like the idea of having someone who can run nice routes and dominate underneath while the 2 burners take care of things over the top.

Kiko Alonso- ILB Oregon - I really see the Ravens moving towards a rotation at ILB. Alonso is that 3rd down nickle backer that they just don't have. He also had 14 tackles for loss this past season which means he can pressure as well as cover.
    2/3 of those prospects would be better than Elam and Arthur Brown.
    Last edited by Sarcasticfury; 04-26-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    We're less than a week out now from the 2015 NFL Draft.

We've been talking in the other thread about narrowing it down to three players for the first round. The media, and many of us on this (and other) boards get preoccupied with the 1st round, and rightly so, but I believe the base of your team is built in the subsequent rounds.

It's become a little bit of a tradition that I put up a thread to ask who are your draft favorites?

2013 Thread : HERE

2014 Thread : HERE

We all have our favorites, and they're not even necessarily the top players. Baltimore's scouts all have the ability to designate one guy their "Red Star" player.

Let's be a little more generous around here...regardless of round, who are the three players that you'll be fist-pumping like Tiger Woods around your living room if the Ravens end up drafting them?

For me, this year, those players are :

Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
    Nelson_Agholor_zpstzoevwx3.jpg

He's got terrific body control...so silky smooth in his transitions. He sells the stop & go really hard, and accelerates to top speed very quickly. He blocks very aggressively away from the ball. Everything about Agholor is impressive. He's by far my favorite player in the draft. I feel that if he'd stayed at USC for his Senior season, he would be out of our range in the 1st round. As it is, I think he's likely to go in the early to mid-2nd.

Quinten Rollins, DB, Miami (Ohio)
    Quinten_Rollins_zpsx4rwvjdy.jpg

Rollins is raw, there's no doubt, and he didn't run quite as fast as I expected at the Combine (I was disappointed that he didn't run again at Miami's Pro Day), so he may eventually move to Safety...but I'd give him every opportunity at CB before I made a move with him. He's quick as a cat, has terrific hands, and he's one of the strongest DBs I've ever seen (watch him ragdoll UMASS RT Tyrell Smith...6'5" 315 lbs...on a Corner Blitz at 1:59 remaining in the 3rd quarter).

Max Valles, DE/OLB, Virginia
    Max_Valles_zpsjblpmyvi.jpg

Valles is just a Redshirt Sophomore, and he will be the youngest player in the entire draft. Right now, he is playing pretty much on just athleticism...so he is not likely to contribute a great deal in his rookie season, except maybe as a situational rusher, and special teams player. Having said all of that, Valles' potential is off-the-charts. He played Safety in High School, and he can cover much better than most college players his size. He has terrific ability to see when he's not going to get home on the QB, and deflect passes in traffic (13 batted balls over his two seasons). Get him in the building while Suggs and Dumervil are still productive, and mentor him to get him ready to wreak havoc in a year or two.

Those are my three...who've you got?
    I really like Agholor and Rollins, too. The best way to get both is to move back in the first round to get one, enabling us in some combination of picks to get an early-mid pick in the second round to get the other. Moving back also makes it more realistic you can get a third guy you had your sights set on in the second round.

I could see moving up three to six spots in the first to get Ray, Gurley, or Parker, but I don't think they will fall that close to us at #26. I hate the thought of Marcus Peters going to Pittsburgh but am torn about whether I would want to move up for him. Gordon has his blemishes but is such a talent that I could buy taking him at #26. Failing those five, moving back looks good to me.