28. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a franchise QB

3 10.71%
  • He's a solid, Alex Smith type, who will be gone when Manziel takes over

23 82.14%
  • He's Kelly Holcomb

2 7.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Hoyer: Franchise QB or Kelly Holcomb 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Hoyer is a good player. I think he is the consistent guy the Browns need right now, but he's going to want to get paid and considering the ridiculous contracts QBs (even average and mediocre QBs) are getting right now, I dont know that the Browns are going to fork over that type of money.

They've got a 1st round QB sitting on the bench right now and he's under contract for the next 4-5 years for relatively little money in comparison to what Hoyer would likely want.

I think unless the Browns tag Hoyer, he'll leave and go somewhere like Houston or to the NY Jets...
    That is a really bold move, especially if Hoyer does manage to lead them to a division crown and the playoffs. Can you imagine what would happen in Cleveland if they cut loose the guy who got them their first division crown since 1989, and then Manziel comes in and they go back to picking in the top ten? That's very plausible, and the Factory of Sadness just might get burned to the ground.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Rivera is going nowhere, the Panthers would be fools to sack him.

The Panthers have their struggles and the front office can take a lot of the blame with their crazy cap space on running backs, failure to address the offensive line and a lot of other issues. Not entirely the current GM's fault, mistakes were made before he took the job too
    I dont know man...

The Panthers have made some seriously questionable roster decisions (paying Stewart and Williams a king's ransom, not addressing their OL, not bringing in receivers other than Benjamin, etc) and I know that isn't entirely on Rivera, but as the HC, he plays a part.

He's been there since 2011 and has had only 1 winning season (last year) and it doesn't look like they'll be a winning record this year. Though their division is weak as shit right now, they probably wont make the playoffs this year.

Gettleman is their new GM and he kind of inherited a bit of a mess...I could see them jettisoning Rivera and looking at guys like Dan Quinn, Gary Kubiak, Darrell Bevel, Vic Fangio, Greg Roman, and so on.

Plus, there is always the possibility that they could lure Bill Cowher (who resides in North Carolina) out of retirement. I've always thought that the Carolina Panthers made sense for him and them.

I'm just saying...Rivera isn't a lock by any means to stay in Carolina. Jerry Richardson got rid of Dom Capers after similar production and the last 5 years of John Fox's tenure were similar to what Rivera has produced.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    That is a really bold move, especially if Hoyer does manage to lead them to a division crown and the playoffs. Can you imagine what would happen in Cleveland if they cut loose the guy who got them their first division crown since 1989, and then Manziel comes in and they go back to picking in the top ten? That's very plausible, and the Factory of Sadness just might get burned to the ground.

I dont put anything beyond the realm of possibilities for Haslam.

The guy basically - from everything I've read - strong armed Mike Pettine and Ray Farmer into trading up for Johnny Football. I can't see that dude swallowing his pride and paying a $100 million+ contract to Hoyer after moving up the draft to take Manziel. He's going to want to see his 1st round toy on the field. I think Hoyer knows that, saw the writing on the wall, and basically said "eff you guys" and is now playing for a contract from some other team.

Jets
    Houston
    Tampa
    Redskins
    Rams
    Bills
    Titans
    Eagles

They all could be in the market for a QB like Hoyer.

We could even see some teams like the Bears try to get out of their situation with Cutler and look at someone like Hoyer.

The guy basically - from everything I've read - strong armed Mike Pettine and Ray Farmer into trading up for Johnny Football. I can't see that dude swallowing his pride and paying a $100 million+ contract to Hoyer after moving up the draft to take Manziel. He's going to want to see his 1st round toy on the field. I think Hoyer knows that, saw the writing on the wall, and basically said "eff you guys" and is now playing for a contract from some other team.

Jets
    Houston
    Tampa
    Redskins
    Rams
    Bills
    Titans
    Eagles

We could even see some teams like the Bears try to get out of their situation with Cutler and look at someone like Hoyer.
    Yep, they are the Browns, so I could certainly see that happening. In fact, because they are the Browns, it seems odds-on that's exactly the way it plays out. But man, if you thought those people were pissed when LeBron left...
    "Chin up, chest out."

Jets
    Houston
    Tampa
    Redskins
    Rams
    Bills
    Titans
    Eagles

Plus he's a free agent, and while he's from Cleveland (and would probably prefer to stay there), they will have to bid against some of those teams.

Blog Entries

I dont know man...

The Panthers have made some seriously questionable roster decisions (paying Stewart and Williams a king's ransom, not addressing their OL, not bringing in receivers other than Benjamin, etc) and I know that isn't entirely on Rivera, but as the HC, he plays a part.

He's been there since 2011 and has had only 1 winning season (last year) and it doesn't look like they'll be a winning record this year. Though their division is weak as shit right now, they probably wont make the playoffs this year.

Gettleman is their new GM and he kind of inherited a bit of a mess...I could see them jettisoning Rivera and looking at guys like Dan Quinn, Gary Kubiak, Darrell Bevel, Vic Fangio, Greg Roman, and so on.

Plus, there is always the possibility that they could lure Bill Cowher (who resides in North Carolina) out of retirement. I've always thought that the Carolina Panthers made sense for him and them.

I'm just saying...Rivera isn't a lock by any means to stay in Carolina. Jerry Richardson got rid of Dom Capers after similar production and the last 5 years of John Fox's tenure were similar to what Rivera has produced.
    They just signed Rivera to a 3 year extension this year.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They just signed Rivera to a 3 year extension this year.
    So? When has a contract - newly inked or not - ever stopped an NFL owner from doing what they wanted?

I'm not saying it is a foregone conclusion that Rivera is on the hot seat, but there is no way in hell that he is comfortable and if someone better comes along I think the Panthers might consider jumping on it.

Blog Entries

I think the Browns are in a tight spot. Hoyer is already 29 (30 next October) and aside from 2014 has not had much starting experience. What if he has a Dalton Experience (make playoffs, get knocked out in 1st round)?
    ... Bc

So? When has a contract - newly inked or not - ever stopped an NFL owner from doing what they wanted?

I'm not saying it is a foregone conclusion that Rivera is on the hot seat, but there is no way in hell that he is comfortable and if someone better comes along I think the Panthers might consider jumping on it.
    The sad thing is, they are 3-6 and in that sorry-assed division they have an excellent chance to host a playoff game. Four of their last six are division games; win three of those and they're probably in.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The sad thing is, they are 3-6 and in that sorry-assed division they have an excellent chance to host a playoff game. Four of their last six are division games; win three of those and they're probably in.
    Truth.

Albeit, an unfortunate one.

I think he is as close to a franchise QB as they (the new Browns) have ever had. I don't think he is spectacular, but he certainly is solid and gives them a chance to win every week. I chose him as a franchise QB out of those 3 choices due to the part of the second choice about Manziel taking over. I don't think he should ever take over, now if the Browns FO allows him to take over or not, that is a whole other story.