Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who did you play for, where did you play and at what position?

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    That to me is another cool story and thank you for that
    Thanks, man.

Just ignore the real ass hole band wagon jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    those girls do play their hearts out but its somewhat degrading to those women who want to play ball but are dressed in little to nothing just to play the sport they love. I would love to see some of those ladies play in real uniforms and pads.
    I agree Jsmooth. But sometimes, you make sacrifices to do the things you love.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    I checked out the links, pretty cool. That's serious football.

Blog Entries

we were undefeated in high school and if we had a big lead at halftime, coach would make us all play a position we'd never played for the 2nd half. I had to play center for a half once and hated it. New found respect for those guys.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I never played organized football, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I played TE for the Hamilton Heads neighborhood football team in the 70's. They weren't very serious tho. I remember a guy returning a kick for a TD with a doob hanging out his mouth. Nobody wanted to tackle him lol.

Did any of you guys play flag football in the 80's? Some of the guys I knew back then were on this team based out of a Baltimore bar called the Wilkens House (later Brannans Pub in Hamilton) that won 5 straight National championships amassing an 82-10 record. I've often wondered if any of them or the guys who played against them became Ravens Fans.

http://www.usffa.org/roh.htm

http://archives.explorebaltimorecoun...lag-hall-fame/
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by CodyPKA View Post
    2nd string CB/WR 9th and 10th grade and Shenendehowa HS in upstate New York

.... baseball was more my thing :p
    Holy crap!!! You went to Shen???? I went to Nisky and played CB also!!! Small world...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winston Churchill high school in Potomac, MD. Played WR and graduated in 2011

Interesting thread. Hadn't been on the forum in a while. Anyway, resident old guy, grew up in South Jersey and played MLB in a 4-3 and fullback for Gateway RHS in Woodbury Heights. Idolized Dick Butkus. Was All-Conference, All-County, All-Group II and 2nd team All-South Jersey at LB my senior year. I believe 1971 is still the school's only conference title ever. Graduated in 1972.

Recruited by a handful of area small colleges and a couple of 2nd level programs. Tubby Raymond came calling for me to come to Delaware as a safety. No DI programs were interested. Wasn't much call for 5'10", 195lb, 4.7 40, LB's at that level.

Opted instead to go to Westminster College in Northwest PA because I wanted to go further away from home and still play LB. Westminster was a NAIA power, equivalent to a very good NCAA III. They've won several national titles. Unfortunately, my college career was derailed by shredding each knee in 2 separate years. As bad as ACL tears are now, they were worse then, due to more primitive surgical procedures and lesser medical technology, meaning it was pre-arthroscopies, etc.

Anyway, we ran a variation of a 3-4, a friend of mine of equivalent ability and size was an ILB also. He became a little All-American. I spent the majority of my college career in full leg casts. Still had a great 4 years there. Met my future wife, made friends for life and got a degree in 1976, but to this day, if I'm honest, I still mourn not having had the opportunity to have a real college football career. I loved playing that much and knew I'd never again play organized ball once I graduated. Wasn't too keen on catching on with a semi-pro team once I was out in the world. Didn't want an injury, especially given my knee history, to impact my career or family. And at that, I still had 2 more knee surgeries from playing recreational sports. Stick to golf and tennis now.

No interesting anecdotes about future pros I played with or against. Went up against some big time college players who had a cup of coffee in the pros, but nobody you'd recognize. One thing this board might find amusing though was the sharp division in Steeler and Browns fans at that school. It was an hour due north of Pitt and an hour and a half east of Cle. I was in a jock frat that was made up pretty much of fans of both teams, probably leaned more to Steelers. When we would watch them play each other on tv in our game room these guys would throw beers on each other and get in fist fights over stupid shit. Used to amuse me because I grew up an Eagles fan.

Moved to Baltimore in 1980 as a 26 year old for a work promotion with a big corporation. Fell in love with this city, the O's, the Colts briefly, and then I fell hard for the Ravens when they came in 1996. Philly teams are now a distant 2nd. Have had a nice, upwardly mobile career, but turned down some lucrative opportunities through the years that involved moving because I wanted to raise my family here. It all worked out though. No regrets on that one. Sorry for the life history.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 11-16-2014 at 12:18 PM.

When I was in grade school at Catonsville - there was no HS football in the counties, only the City Schools. As I recall there was a 6 v 6 league that played on the fields behind the then Catonsville HS on Bloomsbury Ave. While I moved away from the state in the middle of the 7th grade, I don't think HS football made it's appearance in the counties until approximately 1964 - when I graduated from HS in Ohio.

Can I still jump in here??

HS ball at Oscar Smith in Chesapeake Va. Played FB and LB...and all special teams. Played along side Ken Easley..former Seahawk and UCLA great!! After HS played at Newport News Apprentice,,,fullback. Team was coached by ex NFL QB Norm Snead. The best part about NN Apprentice, Norm Snead had his Miller Lite "tastes great/less filling" commercial...and we always had cold beer for both teams after our home games!! (Beer drinking age was 18). This kinda freaked out the visiting college teams in a good way...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk