Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Substitution Fiasco - Was That The Right Call?!

There are tweaks that can stop the gaming.

A ten-second run-off limit to the play clock, a maximum 15 second snap hold after the O substitution.....

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Carey may have been right about the first part, but wasn't really taking into account the pulling back of some players and sending another set back in. That is NOT the responsibility of the Offense, IMO, like Carey was trying to say.
    I missed this, will look on my second watching, only thing I remember noting is that it sure was taking them long to get the substitution done .... if they were re-substitution, that sure would explain the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    It was absolute bullshit, and thankfully they created the rule (or enforced an existing rule -- not actually sure which) to stop that nonsense. But I'm not sure they defined the rule well enough to stop a defense from taking advantage of it.
    That was my take on Carey's explanation, I was definitely under the impression he was saying it was the O's total responsibility the way the rule was defined (we are reacting to the wrongness in it because Coleman forced us to burn a time-out .... Carey wasn't wrong, Coleman wasn't wrong, the rule was defined wrong, and we saw how and paid for it)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

so if we didn't call a timeout , would it have been a delay of game ? NO WAY they can call that right???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    so if we didn't call a timeout , would it have been a delay of game ? NO WAY they can call that right???
    That is exactly what was coming down the pipe at us. IIRC 2 seconds on the play clock and Walt Coleman was still in the way stopping the snap.
    With all the gobblity-gloop that Carey was saying, he was making it clear that it was the Ravens clock management responsibility according to the rule, and a delay of game flag was coming without the TO ... the announcers couldn't get him to cut any slack whatsoever.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I've seen it a few times that when the ref is standing over the ball to allow the defense to substitute, they will give the signal to reset the play clock to 25 seconds if it ran down too much. I believe the motion is:

referee-resetplay_25secondssignal.jpg

I've seen Brady make this motion to the ref in the back field asking for the play clock to be reset after a defensive substitution.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by MRGRIM View Post
    It was a strange situation, however with the no huddle I don't believe you are making any offensive substitutions, therefore keeping the same defensive unit on the field.
    In a true no huddle, yes, but a hurry-up, muddle-huddle gives the o the chance to run guys on and off. If they're waiting on the defense then, in my opinion, the play clock needs to reset or be paused.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I've seen it a few times that when the ref is standing over the ball to allow the defense to substitute, they will give the signal to reset the play clock to 25 seconds if it ran down too much. I believe the motion is:

[
    Yup thanks for stating; I was almost certain I had seen this as well.

How the hell Carey did not know is beyond strange.

Me and my mates in Sec 524 were yelling to reset the play clock; guess our voices did not carry down to the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post

referee-resetplay_25secondssignal.jpg

I've seen Brady make this motion to the ref in the back field asking for the play clock to be reset after a defensive substitution.
    Yes, that's the motion for the ref to reset the game clock.

The problem with this particular play is the way the rule was written. It allows for the substitution but not for a clock reset.

Refs are not allowed to arbitrarily reset the game clock. There are specific times when they can and can't reset the clock. That's issue that Carey eluded to in his comments that was a concern to the competition committee.