Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: I still think the AFC North could have 2 wild card teams this year

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    It's the opposing team's records as of now.
    Right, but you need to count each opponent the number of times they are played. PIT plays CIN twice, CIN has a tie, therefore the ties column needs at least a 2 in it.

Red face Re: I still think the AFC North could have 2 wild card teams this year

Just can't see it with there being no bottom feeder for everyone to pick on this year. It's like the first time since the Ice Age that one division has had all 4 teams at least 2 games over .500 this late in the season. Most likely scenario is 1 wild card and that's not decided until week 17. In fact, I don't even think the Div champ is decided before then.

We play Cle at home on the last day and Cin/Pitt play at Heinz. Bizarre though it may seem, gives me a headache thinking about it, I can imagine us, Pitt and Cle all having a shot at the Div on the last day, but all 3 facing total elimination as well. Sad for CC, but I see Cincy's chances taking a hit with all those road games and the tie. They could play spoiler vs Pitt though. It could come down to 2nd or 3rd tiebreakers, even further, for the other 3.

Picture this come week 17, Cle is 10-5 (3-2 in Div with sweep of Cincy), Pitt is 9-6 (2-3 in Div with 12/7 road loss to Cincy), Bal is 9-6 (2-3 in Div), and Cincy is 8-6-1 (3-2 in Div), but probably still screwed, as it takes at least 10 wins to get in. This assumes either KC or Mia, or both, sitting with at least 10 wins, which I believe could happen. Whether or not Mia makes it will probably be determined by our game with them 12/7 imo. Maybe, both them and KC are in at 10-6 or 11-5.

Us, Pitt and Cle could all end up 10-6, 3-3 in the North, if we beat Cle and Pitt beats Cincy. In this scenario we would be better off if Cle came to Balt at 10-5, than if they were 9-6, to keep them part of a 3 way tie. That way the Ravens would win the AFC North as the 1st tiebreaker is head to head among the 3 clubs, which would have us at 3-1. Cle is eliminated at 1-3, as they are swept by us and split with the Steelers. Pitt would also lose out at 2-2. Amazingly, that sweep at the hands of Cincy would not cost us. Even more incredibly, Cle would start the day 10-5 with a winning Div record and end it out of the playoffs altogether.

However, if we were tied with only Pitt it would come down to the the 3rd tiebreaker which is record in common games, or even further. That's because a 2 team tie is first decided by head to head, even at 1-1, and then Div, even at 3-3. Makes that NO game more important than it first appeared, as we both play them, Pitt at home, us in NO. Advantage Pitt. Cle already beat the Saints fwiw. 4th is conference record.

Chew on it coming down to something like that to win the North and have a home playoff game or missing the postseason all together. Unlikely, yes, but it could happen. Now imagine some unbelievable shitty refs call deciding a big game somewhere along the way. Anyway, back to the thread topic, best guess is 1 wild card from the AFC North.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 11-11-2014 at 05:53 AM.

2 wildcard teams is possible, I still don't think it's likely.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, well the Sword, the nWo and Stone Cold Steve Austin all say it's gonna happen. Whaddya think about that huh? How do you like dem apples?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Hate to be a debbie downer but I am still not ready to talk Ravens and playoffs. I am not convinced they are good enough to win some of the big games that they are going to have to in order to make it. Here is to hoping the bye week revitalizes them and sets off a run that leaves me chomping down a plate of crow.