Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I thought this Hit by Brooks was legal...

It was a vicious hit, the NFL expands the strike zone based off of that fact.

Blog Entries

he led with his shoulders this is such bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    At the game, that special teams blocked legit too. WTF was with that flag?
    It is the same rule as the Brooks hit. After Golden Tate annihilated Sean Lee a couple years ago on a crack back block they added certain defenders as a "defenseless" category if they are blindsided.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    he led with his shoulders this is such bullshit.
    It doesn't matter according to the rule. The rule prohibits:

Quote Originally Posted by rules
    (1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player's head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him, and

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/"hairline" parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player's body.
    The bottom line is you cannot hit the guy with your helmet no matter where you land the hit, and you cannot hit the guy too high no matter what you use to hit him.

5. Re: I thought this Hit by Brooks was legal...

I'm glad the zebras didn't flag that one because it was a legal hit even though it was brutal. I really liked what I've seen from Brooks. He can lay the wood like he did to Walker when he needs to but he also wraps up well and is a sure tackler. That was literally the best play any of our safeties have made this whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    When Walker went out of the game, it was huge for the Ravens. I also think it was a great hit but I guess we'll see soon enough.

Doom had a facemask on their QB that wasn't called; got lucky on that one.
    That facemask was pretty blatant and I was shocked that the refs didn't see it or call it. Mettenberger was ticked and I couldn't really blame him...if that had been Flacco, we all would have been cursing the refs.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven — and I’m a Baltimore Raven – what I think of is we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. “That’s the Baltimore Raven way, that’s the bully way, and that’s football.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

matt elam might never see the starting defense again what a waste of 1st round pick

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    matt elam might never see the starting defense again what a waste of 1st round pick
    He's still a young player and has potential. He's been playing out of his natural SS position a lot this year. But until he gets it together it's best to just rotate him in at this point.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefe96 View Post
    It was legal. In fact textbook by the rules. But unfortunately the refs today are schooled to penalize anything that looks severe or something that makes the average fan say 'whoa'. So they threw the flag even though it wasn't warranted.
    But IIRC, the flag was not thrown because of the hit. It was thrown because of what happened in the scuffle which followed. I'll have to go back and watch the game again, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jefe96 View Post
    It was legal. In fact textbook by the rules. But unfortunately the refs today are schooled to penalize anything that looks severe or something that makes the average fan say 'whoa'. So they threw the flag even though it wasn't warranted.
    He wasn't flagged for that hit.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMRaven View Post
    But IIRC, the flag was not thrown because of the hit. It was thrown because of what happened in the scuffle which followed. I'll have to go back and watch the game again, though.
    Correct. Washington was flagged for unsportsmanlike because he headbutted a Raven after the play in retaliation.

Blog Entries

I thought it was legal and a good hit. Not to mention it makes a statement. Finally some big hits across the middle instead of everyone playing soft and allowing all of those easy catches. Will Hill layed some wood today as well. I like the Brooks Hill combo. Less Stewart and less Elam.