Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens sign Rashaan Melvin

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    I am getting weary of the FO not seeing what's coming down the line promptly enough (e.g. Birk's & Reed's exits, secondary depth in general). All teams face the cap and all teams have to spend. the FO has misjudged on retaining some vets these past 2 years .
    Good post.. The quoted stands out the most to me.
    I think letting Graham walk or not addressing the CB position was a bad mistake. Especially in the new age NFL of pass, pass, pass and the rules that help more offense. I know they can't predict injures, but also thinking Chykie Brown could provide depth was a terrible idea. You need 3 starting caliber CB's and a decent 4-5. The CB depth was troublesome coming into this season. I am assuming that the starting 3 was going to be Smith, Webb, Jackson, but why was Chykie even on the roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Not sure what other big names are out there but I did ask the Ravens about Samuel. The response was:

"He's old and he can't run. He doesn't play man and he can't tackle."

Other than the old part, sounds a lot like Chykie Brown.
    Did you ask about terrel thomas? out of the vets out there hes by far the most intriguing to me. Im leaning towards him not wanting to leave the west coast because his play certainly warranted being in the league right now and hes still young. If the answer is injury concerns... ill just shake my head as our entire group of cbs has that issue, hence why were in this position.

As far as this kid goes he sounds very promising. Very williams like, big corner with lots of upside that we can groom. Who was just sitting on somebodys roster. This is the type of player i was hoping wed poach earlier so hed be more up to speed now, when we need him. Better late than never. Hes the only guy with size out of the dbs so i expect him to be getting worked hard on redzone at the. Very least to carve out a role.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 11-09-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

It sounds like this is just as much for next season as it is for this season.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Ravens also have Miami on their schedule after the bye and Miami is playing good ball.

That has to play into this a bit.

I like the guy's size.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Did you ask about terrel thomas? out of the vets out there hes by far the most intriguing to me. Im leaning towards him not wanting to leave the west coast because his play certainly warranted being in the league right now and hes still young. If the answer is injury concerns... ill just shake my head as our entire group of cbs has that issue, hence why were in this position.

As far as this kid goes he sounds very promising. Very williams like, big corner with lots of upside that we can groom. Who was just sitting on somebodys roster. This is the type of player i was hoping wed poach earlier so hed be more up to speed now, when we need him. Better late than never. Hes the only guy with size out of the dbs so i expect him to be getting worked hard on redzone at the. Very least to carve out a role.
    Thomas is done. That last year with Giants was brutal to watch. He's had so many leg injuries that he just can't move. The Giants ended up using him almost as an in the box CB kind of like how Rex would sometimes use McAlsister. If we needed a run stuffing CB Terrell Thomas might be an option but as someone who can cover in the NFL? Forget it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Melvin looks like someone worth a look & a chance to develop into decent depth for next season.

There's a crowd here that seems to believe the Ravens owe them a deep run in the playoffs each & every year no matter what misfortunes they encounter. If anything less than optimal happens a bunch of you start shrieking as if someone just ran over your pet--fire this coach, bench that guy, buy these other FAs to fix everything instantly, as if it were fantasy football & there was no such thing as a salary cap...

Face facts: After all the crap that's happened to the Ravens this year they are rather unlikely to reach the postseason this year, & unlikely to make much noise if they do. (They're certainly not going to get any breaks from the league office & its herd of trained zebras, which would like nothing better than for them to quietly fade out of the discussion.) And next year the cap is going to kill them. So unless a few minor miracles occur there'll be precious little for us to cheer about for the next 20 months or so. Instead of looking for scapegoats, maybe we'd all have a better time if we just "embraced the suck" & took an intellectual interest in how the team re-invents itself out of the wreckage.
    I don't generally agree with you much Loba but this post was somewhat of an epiphany. I hate to say it but you may be right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Good post.. The quoted stands out the most to me.
    I think letting Graham walk or not addressing the CB position was a bad mistake. Especially in the new age NFL of pass, pass, pass and the rules that help more offense. I know they can't predict injures, but also thinking Chykie Brown could provide depth was a terrible idea. You need 3 starting caliber CB's and a decent 4-5. The CB depth was troublesome coming into this season. I am assuming that the starting 3 was going to be Smith, Webb, Jackson, but why was Chykie even on the roster.
    Actually the starting 3 was suppose to be Webb, Smith and Chykie. It was painstakingly obvious when they were giving Chykie much of the reps in the offseason and preseason they wanted him to be the 3rd guy it just so happens he sucked so much that Asa beat him out by a WIDE margin but the FO should have known with Smith Webb and Asa not being durable there should have been a better back up plan and they tried with Flowers but Flowers wanted to started little did Flowers know he would have been anyways. They didn't even try much after Flowers though, Dereck Cox was playing muscial chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Actually the starting 3 was suppose to be Webb, Smith and Chykie. It was painstakingly obvious when they were giving Chykie much of the reps in the offseason and preseason they wanted him to be the 3rd guy it just so happens he sucked so much that Asa beat him out by a WIDE margin but the FO should have known with Smith Webb and Asa not being durable there should have been a better back up plan and they tried with Flowers but Flowers wanted to started little did Flowers know he would have been anyways. They didn't even try much after Flowers though, Dereck Cox was playing muscial chairs.
    This...I wish people would stop saying they expected Asa to be the 3rd corner.

Sure near the end of camp after their initial plan of Chykie being that 3rd corner went up in flames they moved Asa to that role, but from that initial offseason meeting where the team makes their gameplan for filling out the roster to probably week 3 or 4 of camp, when the ability to draft or sign guys better than Franks was there, they thought Chykie would be that 3rd guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

What number is he gonna wear? Just to see if he's out there today.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    What number is he gonna wear? Just to see if he's out there today.
    He's inactive today

lol, even the official team website have not given him a number. I checked the roster list

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    He's inactive today

lol, even the official team website have not given him a number. I checked the roster list
    Lol so did I.

Flacco short-armed that pass as a result of being hit and feeling pressure in the pocket. He misses a wide open receiver (Smith Sr). This is going to be another very long day for the home team if Joe is feeling the affects of pressure already during the second drive.
    “Not bad for a running back.”