Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ricky Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Wagner has looked a lot better than Monroe which is kind of sad considering the contract they just gave Monroe
    I have no idea how having a young cheap player outperform a franchise LT can be considered sad. That's "glass half empty" if I've ever heard it.

I'm downright giddy.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Re: Ricky Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I have no idea how having a young cheap player outperform a franchise LT can be considered sad. That's "glass half empty" if I've ever heard it.

I'm downright giddy.
    It's the reality of the system that's sad. They work their butts off to trade for a guy, then stress and spend lots of time and money to get him re-signed. Now a cheap low round draft pick comes in and looks a lot better. It happens all the time in the NFL. Makes you wonder if it's really paying big money for any player who isn't a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    He's been amazing. I've seen a few mock drafts where we're picking an OT, because we need an upgrade at RT. That always gives me a good laugh.
    Draft the entire Wisconsin OL. You can't go wrong.

It's the reality of the system that's sad. They work their butts off to trade for a guy, then stress and spend lots of time and money to get him re-signed. Now a cheap low round draft pick comes in and looks a lot better. It happens all the time in the NFL. Makes you wonder if it's really paying big money for any player who isn't a QB.
    Admittedly, he's playing right tackle and not left and there's a big difference. He's also playing next to Yanda, not KO who while showing flashes of real potential has been hurt and is younger. I'm happy as hell for our white right end but I'll not use use their success to to put down the challenges the left side is having. They'll get it together.

I've thought the same. The difficulty is people become so attached to players and in the moment don't seem to realize that most of these guys are humans like everyone else who will perform better when motivated by big money. Like people going nuts when AD or Jason Brown left or imagine the reaction if Rice hadn't been resigned in 2012 for instance. I think most of these players are replaceable with younger hungrier players when it comes down to it and sometimes we need to let players get paid somewhere else while we stock young depth. Torrey Smith strikes me as the next player this will apply to as he's a local kid, was huge during our super bowl run and is a fan favorite. That said, Smith is probably an easily replaceable player. I do think you draw the line at QB though.

The system is not absolute, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's a percentage game, not an absolute game. First round draft picks are not always better than fifth round draft picks. But they are usually better. You are going to hit on some bargains.

Wagner could've turned out to be a bust, and Chykie could be playing lights-out. Then we'd have a different set of problems. Be glad when the system works in your favor, because for every Wagner that works out, there's a whole bunch of Richard Mercier, Roderick Green, Troy Smith, and Davon Drew. Yes, Tom Brady was better than Ryan Leaf. But if you're shopping for a franchise QB, you'll do a lot better shopping in the first round than the sixth.

The Ravens succeed, like other good franchises, because they play those odds well. Stockpile mid round picks (like comp picks) and roll more dice than the other guys. When those dice hit and you have a cheap RT, you can pay the money you need to pay to get a proven, mid-level guy at LT so your QB doesn't get killed.
    "Chin up, chest out."

I would only draft Olineman nowadays that come from a pro style offense ie. Big Ten teams, USC. OLinemen from teams that run the spread do not know how to run block, and their pass pro is not NFL technique based. That's why a 5th round Ricky Wagner from the Badgers can become a stud in the NFL, and a Jason Smith from Baylor is the #2 pick in the draft and completely flops. Sure there are exceptions, b/c certain College Spread OLinemen are just gifted and can adapt. But when you don't practice the skills you need to have in order to excel in the NFL, the Spread doesn't prepare you well.

If I were a stud HS lineman, why would I go to a spread college if I had NFL aspirations?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by don raven View Post
    Draft the entire Wisconsin OL. You can't go wrong.
    Wisconsin and Iowa and some of those corn bread farm states seem to produce tough gritty O lineman.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I would only draft Olineman nowadays that come from a pro style offense ie. Big Ten teams, USC. OLinemen from teams that run the spread do not know how to run block, and their pass pro is not NFL technique based. That's why a 5th round Ricky Wagner from the Badgers can become a stud in the NFL, and a Jason Smith from Baylor is the #2 pick in the draft and completely flops. Sure there are exceptions, b/c certain College Spread OLinemen are just gifted and can adapt. But when you don't practice the skills you need to have in order to excel in the NFL, the Spread doesn't prepare you well.

If I were a stud HS lineman, why would I go to a spread college if I had NFL aspirations?
    This is a great point.

I was just thinking that the o-line has been our offensive player of the year but more specifically the job that Rick Wagner has done. Glad to see Wagner getting some love on here. Going into the season I was really worried about RT but Wagner has locked it down.

The O-line in general has become one of the better units on the team along with the D-line but they just need to stay healthy. Looking forward to the remaining games and getting back to the dominating ways like the first month. One of the saving graces with the Jimmy Smith injury is that both of our fronts are top notch which could help big by controlling the game from the trenches.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post

Agree 100%. Wisconsin. Iowa. Nebraska. Other than that, no thanks. There are exceptions. But for the most part from what I've seen that's where you're better lineman come from. Just cause they run pro style offensive lines. Nothing cute and fancy and spread like your FS and Oregon and so on. You need them corn fed country boys like Yanda in there. Lmao!