Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 2014 Mid-Term Elections

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This isn't a GOP win by any stretch. This is a wave of resentment against the Obama's policies, not a wave of support for the GOP.

The GOP still has horrible branding issue to deal with.

I'm shocked that Hogan won so decisively. Brown must have run a terrible campaign to lose Baltimore County.
    Really a potential 9 seat pick up isn't a win? Not having candidates that make dumb comments about rape is not a win, diminishing the gender gap, and other perceived deficiencies? Getting the keys to the senate? The opportunity to bring legislation to Obama's desk for a 2016 run is not a win?

I agree the Republicans didn't run on anything, they ran on what they wouldn't do. They brought in a competent set of candidates. All they have to do is show they can govern, something that democrats made appear to be very difficult. If they can do that, their outlook is solid.
    Last edited by BmoreLove; 11-05-2014 at 08:00 AM.

It's a short term band aid win.

Low voter turn out and Obama resentment fueled what happened last night, not because all of these states decided they like Republicans.

Their strategists know this so they have time to correct their issues. It can be used as a springboard for a real win in 2016 though.

Blog Entries

About as good an outcome as possible. Down here in Calvert and St. Marys it was a straight Republican sweep. Not surprising. One of the best things about Hogan's win is that it should mark an end to any talk of O'Malley running for President. Hogan winning is as much about O'Malley as it was Brown. Brown could never shake the perception he was just more O'Malley, and the fact that Maryland is such a blue state and still went red for Gov this year shows you how the majority really feel about O'Malley's policies...
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I agree, but I think you need to acknowledge how poorly previous Republican campaigns have been recently. I think we can now at least say Republicans are competitive.

But yes in a presidential cycle election Republicans will have difficulty thriving with younger and minority voting. There are a lot positives we can come out of this like our narrowing gender gap and increasingly favorability with independents, and above all again, electibility and now the opportunity we can show we can govern. Its not as hard as Dems make it seem.

Ari Fleischer was just on CNN and echoed what I just said.

It's an opportunity for the GOP for sure since it now opens up a few states for 2016 but there's still a lot of work to be done since the electorate in 2016 won't be the same as it is now in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a short term band aid win.

Low voter turn out and Obama resentment fueled what happened last night, not because all of these states decided they like Republicans.

Their strategists know this so they have time to correct their issues. It can be used as a springboard for a real win in 2016 though.
    I think it was a win for the GOP, but like you said, I don't think the country is all of a sudden all gung-ho for republicans.

There is a heavy anti-Obama sentiment out there...so much that there were quite a few Dems who tried to distance themselves from him...and expectantly, there was a VERY low minority turnout for midterms.

Hopefully the GOP does a better job of working with the opposite side in congress than the Dems seemed interested in doing when they were the majority.

2016 is going to be very interesting.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I think I read that in Frederick County (where I live) only about 11% of registered voters turned out.

That's pretty sad.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think it was a win for the GOP, but like you said, I don't think the country is all of a sudden all gung-ho for republicans.

There is a heavy anti-Obama sentiment out there...so much that there were quite a few Dems who tried to distance themselves from him...and expectantly, there was a VERY low minority turnout for midterms.

Hopefully the GOP does a better job of working with the opposite side in congress than the Dems seemed interested in doing when they were the majority.

That's debatable.

everything else I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

As seen in Maryland.

Hogan didn't win, Brown lost. Dems, particularly minority voters, sat on their hands yesterday.

I think we can all agree the formula for the R wins was not fucking up; and let Obama's momentum kill D campaigns. It worked, but extraordinarily in the places you didn't think it would. I don't think the governor dominance in states like MA, FL, IL, OH, MI can be overstated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreLove View Post
    We will now get to show the nation that it was Harry Reid who was the master obstructionist in political reform and now that duty will be handed to Obama.
    Mitch McConnel says hello...
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I refuse vote for someone I think is going to win over someone I would want to see win. That's the problem with the political system. Everyone feels like you have to go for the lesser of two evils because Republicans and Democrats have a strangle hold on everything.
    ding ding...
    -JAB