Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: First visit to the M&T Bank

Quote Originally Posted by acisking View Post
    I'm staying driving distance from Baltimore in Linthicum Heights, but I'm planning on driving into the city both Saturday and Sunday.
    Try Seaside restaurant, it's on Crain HWy in Glen Burnie. Saw Haloti Ngata there one night. Usually have crabs but pricey. I'd call before going, not sure if they take reservations. I'm thinking it is less then 10 minutes from Linthicum Heights. Casual place with restaurant and bar. Parking is limited, but you can park on a side street and walk a short distance. Have fun in Baltimore, but be aware of your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Try Seaside restaurant, it's on Crain HWy in Glen Burnie. Saw Haloti Ngata there one night. Usually have crabs but pricey. I'd call before going, not sure if they take reservations. I'm thinking it is less then 10 minutes from Linthicum Heights. Casual place with restaurant and bar. Parking is limited, but you can park on a side street and walk a short distance. Have fun in Baltimore, but be aware of your surroundings.
    Phone # 410-760-2200 224 Crain HWY north

I'll 2nd that motion.

Seaside offers more traditional Maryland style crabs and cracakes. Also try the crab pretzel there.

G&M is likley a bit closer to Linthicum Heights, and offers the world's largest crabcake and has a national reputation. But getting those crabcakes so large involves compromising traditional ingredients.

Also, if you are staying near the Light Rail Station, you may want to consider that option instead of driving.

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Faidley's does have a great crab cake though the neighborhood is a bit dicey.

Some of my favorite crab cakes (in much safer neighborhoods), in no particular order, are ....

Duda's Tavern
    One Eyed Mikes
    Thames Street Oyster House
    G&M
    Mama's on the Half Shell

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Faidley's does have a great crab cake though the neighborhood is a bit dicey.

Some of my favorite crab cakes (in much safer neighborhoods), in no particular order, are ....

Duda's Tavern
    One Eyed Mikes
    Thames Street Oyster House
    G&M
    Mama's on the Half Shell
    All good options except for G&M, in my opinion. The crab cake is decent, but it's in the burbs and nothing else around - not much atmosphere. Mama's is fun atmosphere and in a fun part of town. Thames Street Oyster has great food and is also right in the heart of Fells Point.

On an weekend morning afternoon, you're fine going to Faidleys, imo. Would probably park closer to downtown and walk up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by frankpembleton View Post
    All good options except for G&M, in my opinion. The crab cake is decent, but it's in the burbs and nothing else around - not much atmosphere. Mama's is fun atmosphere and in a fun part of town. Thames Street Oyster has great food and is also right in the heart of Fells Point.

On an weekend morning afternoon, you're fine going to Faidleys, imo. Would probably park closer to downtown and walk up there though.
    I threw in G&M since it's close to where they're staying. You're right about the neighborhood having very little else.

I'll actually be down for the game this weekend and I'm gonna try troll around the tailgating lots and see who I bump into. Anywhere in particular I should swing through?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I recommend that you save Fells Point and Federal Hill tavern concentrations for evenings, to concentrate on Baltimore's rich offerings to visitors. Maryland is often overshadowed by the government monuments in DC, and visitors frequently miss out.

Since you are here briefly, you should take in many of Baltimore's treasures that are easy to access around the Inner Harbor waterfront. This is a major year for Baltimore history, with the recent commmoration of the Brits' unsuccessful attack on Fort McHenry 200 years + 8 weeks ago, and the recent 150th anniversary of Baltimore's Pratt Street riots (first Civil War battle casualties) The best way to get around is the Water Taxi's $12 all-day fare. Most attractions are along Baltimore's historic waterfront, i.e. very easy walk from Water Taxi stops, including:

Best value (low admissions + lots to see + you should be able to see most of these in a day for under $40-$50 including water taxi):

• President Street Civil War Museum
    • Little Italy
    • Fells Point Visitors' Center
    • Maryland Sports Legend Museum (next to Orioles Park at Camden Yards)
    • USS Constellation
    • Top of the World - Maryland World Trade Center
    • Federal Hill

Pricy, well-known tourist attractions:
    • Maryland Science Center
    • Harborplace + Ripley's
    • National Aquarium

Unfortunately, water taxi service to Fort McHenry has stopped for the season. A visit there, particularly by a Limey, would be worth the short & cheap cab ride.

Bars are prevalent near every water taxi stop. As late as the 1970s, Baltimore boasted the highest number of taverns per capita in the US.

btw: If you walk along Ravens Walk, I am easy to spot during tailgating time: turn right (east) under the MLK Blvd viaduct, walk about 75 feet to the other side of the concrete piers supporting the viaduct, look for me wearing Santa Clause equivalent beard and #74 - Oher white jersey. We head into the stadium approx 11 am, especially if its chilly.

I also highly endorse the tailgate party hosted by Gerg, wxKevin, the fanatic, Camden Yard, etc at Wicomico & Ostend. I was part of that group for many years before my knees overtook my ability to comfortably do the walk - great group.
    I don't think the Civil War museum on President Street is even open anymore. It was a shoebox even when open. Alas the USS Constellation (last all-sail US Navy ship, launched in 1854) is in dry dock for repairs.

Fort McHenry: the site of "the recent unpleasantness" twixt our nations back in 1814 has a free shuttle bus leaving from Light St. and Conway St. across from the Inner Harbor visitors' center. It's called the Banner Route, and it's part of a 4 route FREE shuttle bus system called the Charm City Circulator. The system operates 9am-midnight Fri & Sat., 9am -9pm Sunday. Ask your hotel for a Circulator map & save major shoe leather & cab fare.

Somebody already recommended Brewer's Art as a brew pub (on Purple Circulator route): Belgian style beers - you can have my share. A craft brewery called Heavy Seas has tours & tastings on Sat. afternoons in suburban Halethorp (you'd need a car or a cab), and Public Works Brewing is a craft brewery at Barclay & 30 Sts. on the site of the original Oriole Park baseball stadium in Charles Village (#8 or #3 MTA bus) but I'm not sure if they do tastings/tours. I'd call them, i.d. yourself as visiting Brits & see what happens. The Federal Hill neighborhood (on Purple Circulator route) is one giant Ravens Tailgate on home game Sundays. Ground Zero is Mothers' Pub - S. Charles St. at approx. Cross St. But the neighborhood is full of bars. Also not to miss in Federal Hill is the Cross St. Market, (Cross St. between Light & Charles)one of Baltimore's old municipal markets. Chesapeake seafood at Mike's Seafood and kick-ass chicken at Bruce Lee's Wings. As game time approaches, you'll just follow the jerseys on a short walk to the stadium via Hamburg or Ostend Sts.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    I'll actually be down for the game this weekend and I'm gonna try troll around the tailgating lots and see who I bump into. Anywhere in particular I should swing through?
    See posts 2, 3, 5, & 14 above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    I don't think the Civil War museum on President Street is even open anymore. It was a shoebox even when open.
    Google reports that it is open today through Sunday. As to the"shoebox" comment - to each his own. There is about 1/2 to 1 hours' worth of quality display there. More concentrated than most museums. Best value for Baltimore Civil War history compared to any other museum or display IMHO, due to the amount of display for its mere $2 admission, and proximity to Water Taxi & Little Italy food smells.
    Last edited by Mista T; 11-07-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I'll 2nd that motion.

Seaside offers more traditional Maryland style crabs and cracakes. Also try the crab pretzel there.

G&M is likley a bit closer to Linthicum Heights, and offers the world's largest crabcake and has a national reputation. But getting those crabcakes so large involves compromising traditional ingredients.

Like containing tons of stuffings. Last time I was there I pulled a
    slice of bread out of the crab cake.

Best crab cakes are at Box Hill Pizzeria in Harford County. Large
    crab cakes with no stuffings. The guy who started GMs worked for
    the parents of Box Hill when it was the Red Fox Restaurant in Bel
    Air. The brothers retired and the sons took it over. The cook left
    and started GM and took the recipe with him.

MOs also has a great crab cake and their sea food platter is best in the city. Usally takes me 3 days to eat it.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-07-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks so much everyone for all the awesome ideas for places to eat crab!!! I love the Ravens community. Hope to see some of you at the game!
    Last edited by acisking; 11-07-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by acisking View Post
    I'm staying driving distance from Baltimore in Linthicum Heights, but I'm planning on driving into the city both Saturday and Sunday.
    G&Ms has pretty good crab cakes and is not far from where you are staying.