Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: MD/Penn State game has to be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    I'm a Baltimore guy all the way and last I checked Baltimore is still in the state of Maryland. I root hard for the Terps, which hasn't been that easy in recent years as the Athletic Dept has been kind of a mess. Still, it's our state university, so they get my allegiance. Can't say it's as intense as for the Ravens or O's, but I definitely care.

As an aside, I stated earlier that the Big 10 was Wisc, OSU and MSU and a bunch of average programs. I did forget Nebraska who is having a good year. Easy to do, as I will always think of them as a Big 12 team. Them in the Big 10 feels about as weird as MD and Rutgers being there.
    I always keep an eye on what the terps football team does. Not surprised they can't recruit from the Baltimore area. Their football history is poor, no one wants to play for a school that has poor recruiting habits, when Friedgen was there , he did his best but it wasn't enough. When the new coach came in, committed players changed their minds. In the first 2 years, edsall lost more players who didn't like the program anymore. Be nice to see them dominant and win more, but terps are like the ravens, you never know what you're going to get on game day.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    I always keep an eye on what the terps football team does. Not surprised they can't recruit from the Baltimore area. Their football history is poor, no one wants to play for a school that has poor recruiting habits, when Friedgen was there , he did his best but it wasn't enough. When the new coach came in, committed players changed their minds. In the first 2 years, edsall lost more players who didn't like the program anymore. Be nice to see them dominant and win more, but terps are like the ravens, you never know what you're going to get on game day.
    I'm not under any assumption that Maryland is going to ever be a national power in football. It's part of why I don't understand the shots people in here are taking at MD fans and sports...it isn't like we are on here hyping the teams as if we expect national championship contention. Football takes an enormous commitment from the athletic department, University, alumni and the state...I don't think we'll get there to be honest, at least until/we get a president and athletic director who truly value the revenue sports, have a real modern/consistent/appreciative plan/approach to first build real school pride with the current students and second reaching out to the donors/alumni for financial and enthusiastic support.

Unfortunately Loh isn't that guy and Kevin Anderson looks like a bumbling idiot.

Get the right guy in there and there is no reason IMHO that we can't be like a Michigan State program in football where you win 7-8 wins most years with a big bowl mixed in every now and then. Hell, get lucky and maybe you can come out of nowhere like Oregon or Virginia Tech.

Basketball is another story...no reason they shouldn't at minimum be an annual top 20 team IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Maryland has 17 players on the roster from the Baltimore area, 19 from the DC area (36 total). That is a very respectable representation of local kids. Huge win today against an arrogant coach that said he considered Maryland "Penn State's home state." Maryland won the Big 33 game against Pa. and has college bragging rights for a year.

but terps are like the ravens, you never know what you're going to get on game day.
    Um I call B.S. to that suggestion.

Ravens rarely get blown out and win or lose, play with passion. Ravens have rarely had games like Terps roll overs to OSU and Wis.

Blog Entries

Penn State gave my nephew $22,000 pr yr. He said those math courses are really hard. He's an Engineering major. Urschel taught calculas and trig courses at Penn St 3 days pr wk in addition to his football duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    Um I call B.S. to that suggestion.

Ravens rarely get blown out and win or lose, play with passion. Ravens have rarely had games like Terps roll overs to OSU and Wis.
    Just my opinion. Md gets players from Md and Dc, just not top ranked players. When Md is hot they win games, just like the Ravens, If their Qb throws Ints, they play close but lose, Just like the ravens have. There are similarities in the past. Turnovers normally do both teams in. Ravens have flacco, but while flacco has won a lot, the games that are lost are Qb and receiver related. Again, just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    2-32-1 baby!
    Where's the effing "like" button!

Blog Entries

Another reason Md has a tough time recruiting premier talent is because of the facilities (from a football perspective). The field house is decent, but the stadium is old. Considering the money they spend on uniforms Id like to see them improve that stadium. Maybe now that they're in the big 10 they'll do that to better compete with the other programs.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Another reason Md has a tough time recruiting premier talent is because of the facilities (from a football perspective). The field house is decent, but the stadium is old. Considering the money they spend on uniforms Id like to see them improve that stadium. Maybe now that they're in the big 10 they'll do that to better compete with the other programs.
    Pretty sure they are doing a really swank indoor practice facility in the near future. Obviously compared to the big donor schools Maryland will struggle with funds for facilities but the staff is doing a pretty good job at recruiting quality depth for a change. Things are looking up for sure for the football. Beating psu even when depleted is a big deal particularly given we had never won there. Ever.. Now the next big? Is can the hoops win with the highly touted incoming class after all the vacancies :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I will never understand how people from Maryland don't support the state school more and seem to revel in making jokes about them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not from Maryland. Can I make jokes about them? Or, rather, point and laugh at the joke all conferences not the SEC are?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't know how much Byrd stadium really hurts their recruiting efforts (Vaught-Hemingway is older and only seats 5,000 more people). They had a plan in place to expand under Fridge but he never really got the wins needed to justify the expansion.

However, the practice facilities (or lack thereof) are definitely subpar. There is a plan in place to turn Cole Field House into a state of the art indoor practice facility. It should be announced within a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Always thought my son would end up at MD but once we moved out of state they were just too pricey. I wrote them a letter telling them they were our #1 choice, what he would bring, and how far off they were but they never even responded. Did the same letter to RIT and they offered $20K at least. Anyway I still support them.
    I grew up in Baltimore and went to the Universty of Maryland where I met my "better half"! We are Terrapin Club members and still follow pretty much all Maryland sports. When our daughter visited Maryland on her college visit, she was not impressed and actually I rated the presentation below all the other schools we had visited. Maryland was only considered by her and several other of her friends as the safe school. I wasn't surprised or disappointed when she chose an out of state private school over Maryland.

I am a Ravens fan first. If Maryland is playing, I will check on how they are doing and whenever they play at M&T we go to support Maryland playing in Baltimore. GO TERPS!