Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: red zone "defense" lost this game

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm going to guess that Harbs's response to such a question would be something like...

Each situation is different. You look at the match-ups, get your guys in the right formation, get the right play called, and you hopefully execute it. We just have to do a better job at executing that, and I'm confident that we will going forward in the season.
    Yeah! Throw it to SSSr or Camp or a sure handed fucking guy instead of a rookie who has been playing above expectations but still hasn't been very sure handed. Fuckingg stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The only reason there was a 4 point lead to protect was because the defense made two plays gift-wrapping 10 points for the offense. Without those plays, this game isn't even close, partly because of the defense but mostly because the offense was inept.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Three losses, three games where the offense waits until nearly the end of the 3rd quarter to dent the end zone.

Coincidence? Doubt it. Blame the D all you want, but you can't be a pathetic opportunity-squandering offense for three quarters and hope to pull the game out of your ass in the last 15 minutes.
    Right on both of these. Apparently nobody saw the defense get us back into the game despite over three quarters of Jekyll/Hyde Joe.

I'm frustrated by the inability to stop on 4th down too, but the Bengals have a damn good offensive line. It's not like Dalton's Superman; hell I could have snuck it in from a yard out.

I agree with the coverage issues on that last drive but we've seen this all season long and with Jimmy gone it's not surprising. Defense needs to get the stop there, but I won't blame them entirely for one or two bad plays when the offensive played like they did for most of the game. I saw way too many wild throws (and a few other head scratching un-veteran like plays) from our field General today.

As the OP stated, everybody gets blame for losses.. IMHO Joe gets a little more though. Think about that first drive. This game came down to one team failing to score on 4th and goal and another that did. Unfortunately our boys failed.

At least we're still in good shape record wise.
    Last edited by Stone; 10-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.
    "How do we know he is not Mel Tormé?"

As always for the two schools we usually have on this board, the Flacco haters and the Pees haters, both are wrong. The other usuals, Harbaugh haters, the Torrey haters (and I suppose I count myself among that number), etc are all wrong as well. This is a team game and as with all of our losses, this was a team loss. Receivers didn't get open enough, dropped passes, or ran the wrong routes, or gave up on plays, or drew ill timed OPI. Flacco threw some lame ducks, made some bad decisions, left some plays on the field by only looking to throw when his legs could have got the job done. Coaches didn't scheme our guys open. Pass protection failed miserably. Defense couldn't generate consistent pressure. Too many wide open receivers. Missed opportunities (dropped INTS). Poor use of time outs, poor decisions on certain downs, missed opportunities, failed plays, flukes, and more. The team doesn't put out a performance like this due to any one player or unit failing. Team lost as a team. Accept it. Learn from it. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    As always for the two schools we usually have on this board, the Flacco haters and the Pees haters, both are wrong. The other usuals, Harbaugh haters, the Torrey haters (and I suppose I count myself among that number), etc are all wrong as well. This is a team game and as with all of our losses, this was a team loss. Receivers didn't get open enough, dropped passes, or ran the wrong routes, or gave up on plays, or drew ill timed OPI. Flacco threw some lame ducks, made some bad decisions, left some plays on the field by only looking to throw when his legs could have got the job done. Coaches didn't scheme our guys open. Pass protection failed miserably. Defense couldn't generate consistent pressure. Too many wide open receivers. Missed opportunities (dropped INTS). Poor use of time outs, poor decisions on certain downs, missed opportunities, failed plays, flukes, and more. The team doesn't put out a performance like this due to any one player or unit failing. Team lost as a team. Accept it. Learn from it. Move on.
    So refreshing to see a level-headed post!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    Your point is well taken, but I'd be lying if I said I wanted to kick it. I like to go for it in that close. I get that Harbs didn't want to go all that way and take 3 when we were down 7. But damn it, it's half a yard, run it down their throats. It almost seems like we're soft and scared in those situations and it pisses me off. However, I guess I've seen enough now. We should just kick it on 1st down as soon as we get in the redzone on the road from now on.

As far as who is to blame for this loss, they all share it, including ST providing no field position. In these games it just seems like everyone does just enough to lose. O sucks for most of the game while D holds on for dear life. Then O wakes up and gets the lead late, but the D can't hold onto it. Nobody picks anybody up. It's classic losing football, but if I had to apportion blame for this one it would probably be 60% O, 30% D and 10% coaching and ST. Don't know what to say about the officiating.
    You can't rely on officiating. Those idiots don't get shit right. So just figure they're gonna screw you every game for a play or 2. That seemed to be Torrey's problem on that pick. He gets so many calls his way he was just expecting it instead of fighting for the ball. He's a pussy. And that's why it went the bengals way.

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreLove View Post
    He looked lost out there at times
    Joe is being paid like an elite QB but he sure does not look like one from week to week.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRaven View Post
    Joe is being paid like an elite QB but he sure does not look like one from week to week.
    Which illustrates my previous point and was the biggest contributing factor in today's loss.

I don't hate any one guy on this team, (although Pees has rarely been in my good graces) and many share the blame in losses. But I'm not gonna hide behind my 'bro love' for the guy and excuse him from his inconsistent play. Especially with that salary.

Hopefully he shows back up in Pittsburgh next week.
    "How do we know he is not Mel Tormé?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Yeah. The offense handed the D a winning game in the 4th and they flopped. I've fucking been saying it that Dean Pees is a POS joke of a DC. And mostly gotten blasted. With this damn talent letting the Bungles score that many, AND when it counted. WITHOUT AJ Green. Just let that soak in.

The dumbass coaches. Including Pea Brain were satisfied with our DB depth and having Asa and Chykie as our 3 and 4. They brought in Franks and co and signed one. Than cut one. Than when they figured out in week 3 they were horribly wrong they brought back Franks.

This is the idiot staff most of you guys are praising. Harbs is good. The Offensive side got revamped and looks solid for the future. The D. Is pathetic. Pees has always sucked. He's focused on bend but don't break and made his name because of fucking Brady on the offense scoring every god damn drive!!!! Pees sucks. The past 2 weeks were a anamoly. He's fucking garbage.
    This was a team loss. But you called it last week, when everyone else was singing his praises. I held my breath this week, hoping, praying that he wouldn't revert to form. But he did. And you're right. He's got to go. My gut is he will, if they continue to blow leads like they did today. That just cannot happen. When we scored to go up by 4, I had a feeling they would score again.

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    Your point is well taken, but I'd be lying if I said I wanted to kick it. I like to go for it in that close. I get that Harbs didn't want to go all that way and take 3 when we were down 7. But damn it, it's half a yard, run it down their throats. It almost seems like we're soft and scared in those situations and it pisses me off. However, I guess I've seen enough now. We should just kick it on 1st down as soon as we get in the redzone on the road from now on.

As far as who is to blame for this loss, they all share it, including ST providing no field position. In these games it just seems like everyone does just enough to lose. O sucks for most of the game while D holds on for dear life. Then O wakes up and gets the lead late, but the D can't hold onto it. Nobody picks anybody up. It's classic losing football, but if I had to apportion blame for this one it would probably be 60% O, 30% D and 10% coaching and ST. Don't know what to say about the officiating.
    Yeah I can see either argument as valid: kick fg, run it

I didn't mind going for it but I woulda ran the damn thing (and what I probably would have done)

Yeah. The offense handed the D a winning game in the 4th and they flopped. I've fucking been saying it that Dean Pees is a POS joke of a DC. And mostly gotten blasted. With this damn talent letting the Bungles score that many, AND when it counted. WITHOUT AJ Green. Just let that soak in.

The dumbass coaches. Including Pea Brain were satisfied with our DB depth and having Asa and Chykie as our 3 and 4. They brought in Franks and co and signed one. Than cut one. Than when they figured out in week 3 they were horribly wrong they brought back Franks.

This is the idiot staff most of you guys are praising. Harbs is good. The Offensive side got revamped and looks solid for the future. The D. Is pathetic. Pees has always sucked. He's focused on bend but don't break and made his name because of fucking Brady on the offense scoring every god damn drive!!!! Pees sucks. The past 2 weeks were a anamoly. He's fucking garbage.
    What? I seem to recall 2 timely turnovers that set up 10 points.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    This was a team loss. But you called it last week, when everyone else was singing his praises. I held my breath this week, hoping, praying that he wouldn't revert to form. But he did. And you're right. He's got to go. My gut is he will, if they continue to blow leads like they did today. That just cannot happen. When we scored to go up by 4, I had a feeling they would score again.
    Believe me I don't wanna be right. But it's not just me. A lot of fans have been fed up. The past 2 weeks quoted everyone down but I just had a hunch he was gonna fold. Ugh.

Believe me I don't wanna be right. But it's not just me. A lot of fans have been fed up. The past 2 weeks quoted everyone down but I just had a hunch he was gonna fold. Ugh.
    As much as I hate Pea Brain, the defense made some plays in spite of him (lots of talent)