Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Bengals next 3 games could be blacked out

Cincinnatians have to decide over having teeth and food and sending kids to college. The college can wait in my opinion.

We have a major bridge thats ready to cave in. See: Brent Spence Bridge. Obama got a good laugh out of it.

We have paid for both Reds and Bengals stadiums. The promised property tax refunds never materialized.

Mostly we are sick of being lied to and then expected to stand up and Rah Rah the Bengals.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

I usually just lurk on this board, but will chime in here since I'm stuck living here in Cincitucky.

This city is dramatically divided into east & west by I-75. It's like night and day. The people on the west side are blue collar hard workers that put all their money in the bank and live the simple life. The East-siders are more white collar, a lot of P&G transplants. They borrow from the banks the West-siders invest in to pay for houses they can't afford, even at their incomes. LOTS of Cousin Eddies around here on both sides.

That being said, there really are enough people here with the adequate income to assure a weekly sellout. The ones that don't buy tickets simply choose to spend their money on other things, oversized tires for their trucks, elaborate hunting gear, "Yosemite Sam" mud flaps, and enough tattoos to pay for a year at Yale. Free tickets are like rain around here and if you wait long enough, you'll get a couple, so a lot of people choose to wait for the freebies.

Sometimes Kroger or another company will buy enough needed to avoid a blackout here and give them away.

Reds fans are a different breed. MUCH more educated about the sport, they support the team and you can actually discuss the fine points of baseball with them.

Bengals fans still wear Rudi Johnson & Corey Dillon jerseys and if they see me with a purple jersey on when the Bengals play in Baltimore, they ask me if I'm here in town for the game. They can yell "who-dey" though (usually while their offense is on the field)

I'm not sure if it's because the Reds have been a fairly competitive, steady franchise over the years, and the Bengals have the reputation of choking in the playoffs and the really lean years, when they won less than 5 games.

The "people want to stay home and watch their big screens" excuse applies to every city, regardless of their attendance figures.

Just curious, didn't see it in this thread. When to the Ravens normally sell out all our games? I always thought all our home games were sold out at the beginning of the year, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    Just curious, didn't see it in this thread. When to the Ravens normally sell out all our games? I always thought all our home games were sold out at the beginning of the year, but I could be wrong.

They sell out every year within 10-15 minutes of when they go on sale. If my count is correct, the Ravens have sold out 152 straight regular season and playoff games, which is every regular season and playoff game since they moved here. By the end of the regular season it will be 157 pending any possible home playoff games. Compared to some other teams it's not that much but those other teams have been around for 60+ years whereas the Ravens have only been around 19 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post

From what I've been told by people "in the know", the Ravens have over 60,000 seats covered by season ticket holders (the stadium holds 71k). The team then holds a yearly lottery for season ticket holders to buy additional seats to select games (another 6000 seats per game). The team "holds back" about 3000 seats or so to sell on line to give the general public a (slim) chance to attend games. Those seats sell out in 15 minutes or less in early August. The remaining handful of tickets are earmarked for the visiting team and a handful of charities. I think all NFL teams are required to give tix to charity. Guessing that number is in the hundreds if not around 1000.

P.S. Your "who-dey" comment cracked me up and reminded me of when I was at a Jaguars-Colts game a few years ago. I've never seen anything like it but the Jaguar fans were standing and cheering when their OFFENSE was on the field and then sat on their hands while Peyton Manning was shredding their defense. I felt like breaking into the press box and grabbing the PA announcer's microphone and explaining to them how fans are supposed to act at a home game.

Sorry Cincy, I don't think its that great of a supportive town. It actually boggles me a bit. Especially with the team that had been put together there. I litterally made thousands buying and selling Ravens PSLs. Demand was frantic. Also I had my own and went to nearly every game. Then I got sick....I don't deal in those anymore and catch a game a year or two if lucky. I live in WV.
    Also for any non-ravens fans that might not understand.... A ravens sell-out has nothing to do with game day or beginning of season. Those are tickets the organization holds back so a few fans can get lucky. Basically the Ravens are sold out from now until the Sun burns out with the PSLs . Even if the ravens go 0-16 for ten straight years, I doubt there will be any blackouts, the value of Psls would drop, but sellouts would continue.

Hope you don't judge me for have gotten into the Ravens PSL game. The first ones I ever bought were for me because I am insane Ravenholic (since 96). I think I got mine round 99. And noticed that Ravens seats were like prime real estate in a thriving market. Literally, they are seat sized versions of real property. If I would have had the capital at the time, I'd have no financial worries at all right now including my fall trips to Ravens games from my Caribbean island (slightly embellished). But for real, some people did see where that PSL market was going and made a killing. I'm sure it enabled some early retirements for real. That being said, I think I would be an ok Cincinnati fan if I were from there. Been all round the US and Cindy area is cool with me. Just too far from the Ocean, if I live lonng enough I will retire in DE or MD close to the coast. Baltimore born n raised, but had to go to the WV hills for elbow room and play LOUD music with out bugging neighbors.

Ps. Dad, mom (both rip long since) and me had Colts season tickets to the bloody Miserable end.
    Last edited by alienstar; 10-22-2014 at 11:59 AM.