Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: National media coverage of the Ravens (keepin the chip alive!)

Media bias? I refuse to believe that. Never happens.

"I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    We've now combined two insecurities into one now -- power rankings and ESPN's lack of coverage. Ponderous.

Guess you didn't watch Sporscenter at all on Monday. It was a Flacco love fest all day long.

And who gives a rats rear about power rankings? It's one schmucks opinion. May as well get upset for the sky being blue.
    :word

What I find interesting is that the Ravens coaches and players don't seem to care about the national media at all. They never talk about it like they used to under Billick. Only the fans seem to care about this stuff. If Joe Flacco saw this error does anyone really think that he would think about it for more than 2 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    We've now combined two insecurities into one now -- power rankings and ESPN's lack of coverage. Ponderous.

Guess you didn't watch Sporscenter at all on Monday. It was a Flacco love fest all day long.

And who gives a rats rear about power rankings? It's one schmucks opinion. May as well get upset for the sky being blue.
    Wait! The sky is BLUE. Why can't it be Purple?! Forget that! I'm staying IN!

Seems like most people don't care about the media coverage of the Ravens or lack thereof. It still irritates me. I am not trying to be whiny or annoying, but figured a fan forum is a reasonable place to vent about it.

I realize that teams with larger fanbases will tend to dominate coverage, but it just seems like the Ravens are always an afterthought, even though they have had proven success over the last few years. At least that has been my impression.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    Seems like most people don't care about the media coverage of the Ravens or lack thereof. It still irritates me. I am not trying to be whiny or annoying, but figured a fan forum is a reasonable place to vent about it.

I realize that teams with larger fanbases will tend to dominate coverage, but it just seems like the Ravens are always an afterthought, even though they have had proven success over the last few years. At least that has been my impression.
    Feel free to vent away. This is the right place for it. Did you happen to see Bob Costas blathering/slathering away after the Cowboys win? While it was an impressive victory over the reigning super Bowl champs, the team he was bloviating about has had three consecutive 8 - 8 finishes. As if we veteran NFL fans don't know BS when we hear it. Sickening... Bc

It is a reasonable opinion and this is the perfect place to vent about it.

But like all other topics on a message board, you're going to find that not everyone will agree with you.

It's not a bias against the Ravens. It's a bias towards the larger market / larger fan base teams. A slight, but important distinction.

Teams with larger fan bases will always get more media buzz. Since the rules and money are the same for all teams, there is no competitive advantage for being a larger market. The Ravens are successful because they are a well run organization.

Blog Entries

Vent away! No issue with that. I just either don't agree or don't have an issue with other team's getting more coverage.

There are times when the media is very annoying. I guess it's all a matter of opinion and perspective. But keep posting this stuff. I come here to read everyone's opinion whether I agree or not.

Blog Entries

I stick to here, NFLN, SiriusXM NFLN, so I really don't give a damn when we are slighted by ESPN or anyone else that is in the numbers game.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I stick to here, NFLN, SiriusXM NFLN, so I really don't give a damn when we are slighted by ESPN or anyone else that is in the numbers game.
    Those programs/people that really understand football or look at it with an objective eye always acknowledge the Ravens. I should probably stick to those :)

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This times a million. Not much more tiresome around this town than fans playing the "media doesn't respect us" card. Makes the entire fanbase sound like a bunch of whiny assholes.

Ever thought about how annoying people are when they spend their every waking moment going about their business with a giant chip on their shoulder? Everybody knows someone like that or even (God forbid) has to work with them (or for them.) Now why would a fanbase and team want to emulate that?

I can't stand that narrative and the sooner it goes away the better. If it's all about media coverage, news flash folks: We will NEVER have the coverage of the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, etc... simply not going to happen due to media market and other extraneous considerations. How do you think the Chargers feel? They're pretty clearly the best team in the league right now but they're getting completely ignored. All you hear is the Broncos and Cowboys. Hell, you're even hearing more about the 49ers than the Chargers, again because of extraneous media considerations.
    Their fans have a right to be irritated as well. The fact that the media also conveniently ignores another team is not justification for Ravens fans to simply say, "oh well."

I agree that it doesn't matter and doesn't do any good to whine about it, but it doesn't change the fact that it is annoying as hell.

Trust me, you're not the first and you won't be the last person to bring this up. It is talked about rather frequently here, and on most other Raven's message boards. Nothing wrong with discussing it.

If you take anything away from this thread, you should know that most Ravens fans acknowledge that media bias does exist, and most have gotten to the point where they just don't care any more. IMO it's really about ratings for these media outlets. Peyton, Tom, and even Romo are names that the general public (not necessarily football fans) relate to. Therefore the media will always give them more attention than Joe in an effort to improve their ratings/revenue. As Billick use to say: "It is what it is".
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis