Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: Here's hoping Will Hill lives up to the hype and we lock him down for a while....

Think it's pretty lucky we get to retain him just for a 2nd tender. Than can worry about it after next season when we should have significantly more cap space. Depending on what Flacco contract inflates to in 2016. Think it's around 20 isn't it? Someone can correct me. But anyone we sign next year should still have pretty low cap hits still ala Jimmy and possibly Torrey.

Re: Here's hoping Will Hill lives up to the hype and we lock him down for a while....

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Think it's pretty lucky we get to retain him just for a 2nd tender. Than can worry about it after next season when we should have significantly more cap space. Depending on what Flacco contract inflates to in 2016. Think it's around 20 isn't it? Someone can correct me. But anyone we sign next year should still have pretty low cap hits still ala Jimmy and possibly Torrey.
    Flacco's contract goes to $28,550,000 in 2016.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Flacco's contract goes to $28,550,000 in 2016.
    Yeah knew it was bad. They'll get creative on a restructure anyway so not too much to worry about.

Yeah knew it was bad. They'll get creative on a restructure anyway so not too much to worry about.
    I've heard people say this sort of thing before, but I'm starting to wonder what it really means. What cap hit would the Ravens take if they cut Flacco after the 2015 season? If it's at all substantial, then I imagine Flacco and his agent will have a lot of bargaining power when the Ravens approach them about a restructure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    I've heard people say this sort of thing before, but I'm starting to wonder what it really means. What cap hit would the Ravens take if they cut Flacco after the 2015 season? If it's at all substantial, then I imagine Flacco and his agent will have a lot of bargaining power when the Ravens approach them about a restructure.
    Not sure off hand. However it happens all the time. When's the last time any player played under that kind of number? It's in the details somewhere but there's no way he gets that kind of money that season.

Not sure off hand. However it happens all the time. When's the last time any player played under that kind of number? It's in the details somewhere but there's no way he gets that kind of money that season.
    I think the way it normally works is that the team agrees to a player-friendly extension that pushes the cap hit further back. I assume that's what will happen here, but I'm not sure it will be good for the team long-term.

For years, the Steelers have extended veterans to push back their cap hits, but those extensions just lead to a more prolonged period of cap pressure. This approach has left the Steelers with a pretty old and overpaid core at this point. Roethlisberger's cap hit this year is almost $20 million, and Timmons's is almost $12 million.

Obviously the Steelers are still competitive, but that sort of arrangement does not seem like a recipe for long-term success. I hope the Ravens' FO can find a way to keep Flacco without mortgaging the franchise's future.

Blog Entries
    At this point, I'd start Hill at SS, and Brooks at FS.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Since Hill was an UDFA, that would mean the need to apply the 2nd round tender to him, as the "original round" tender would only mean they would have the right to match (since he was undrafted).

Hopefully - even though it will cost more against an already tight Cap - he plays well enough from here on out that they are compelled to use the 2nd round tender.
    What was the 2nd round tender amount this season, Brian?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Ravens obviously disagreed because Franks was the one they cut. At least they fixed that mistake.
    true, but I think there was other factors involved, mostly hope that he did turn it around because hes clearly the more gifted player. It was a gamble, and it failed, but they corrected it.

Since Hill was an UDFA, that would mean the need to apply the 2nd round tender to him, as the "original round" tender would only mean they would have the right to match (since he was undrafted).

Hopefully - even though it will cost more against an already tight Cap - he plays well enough from here on out that they are compelled to use the 2nd round tender.
    I forgot wed control him by RFA rights. That all but makes it a certainty that Hill will be a Raven next year, imo. Right player, Right price means you get one of the top young FSs for between 2-3 million. seems like a no brainer, even for a tight cap.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    At this point, I'd start Hill at SS, and Brooks at FS.
    Hmmm, not bad. Perhaps the Ravens could play Brooks @ FS (50 % of the defensive snaps), Elam @ SS (50% of the snaps), and Hill @ FS/SS (100% of the snaps if he's ready to take on such responsibility)... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    What was the 2nd round tender amount this season, Brian?
    Last year it was $2.197M. The RFA tenders increase by the percentage the Cap increases over the prior year, with the minimum increase having to be 5% and a maximum of 10%.

If the Cap increases by $10M as some have been projecting, from $133M to $143M, the Cap increase would be 7.5%, so the 2nd round RFA tender would go up to approx. $2.362M
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Last year it was $2.197M. The RFA tenders increase by the percentage the Cap increases over the prior year, with the minimum increase having to be 5% and a maximum of 10%.

If the Cap increases by $10M as some have been projecting, from $133M to $143M, the Cap increase would be 7.5%, so the 2nd round RFA tender would go up to approx. $2.362M
    For that money, Hill will almost definitely be back next season if he can avoid further suspensions.