Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: Ugh I hate this week!!!

Hi all,
    I'm a long time Marylander (Silver Spring for the past 15 yrs), Ravens fan and RSR reader. When I found out about this Sunday's game not being broadcast in the DC market, I contacted the Fox 5 sports dept. and actually received a couple of replies -

my initial inquiry -
    Why are you not broadcasting the Ravens-Falcons game this Sunday? -Brian Donovan, Silver Spring, Md

Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 9:57 AM
    Subject: Re: Contact: FOX 5 Sports

Because the Redskins are hosting an AFC team at 1pm and that game is televised by CBS

my re-reply-
    Thank you for your response, Mr. Dunne. Yes, I know that information. The fact you are not broadcasting the Ravens game is extremely short sided of your station. At least a third of your audience lives in Maryland and many in the DC area are Ravens fans, a team that is consistently a play off contender and Super Bowl winner two years ago. I will refrain from sharing my feelings about the Washington team and its current ownership.
    Brian Donovan
    Silver Spring, Md

and final response from Mr. Dunne-
    That decision is not made by our station but the network

so, Frack Fox! This used to be a more common issue years ago. I don't think it has happened in the past 3 years. When it was an issue, I installed a hdtv antenna on a 20 foot pole at the back of my property where it just peaks over the highway sound wall in my backyard (frack the maryland gubmint for that one). I can get all the Baltimore stations in HD without a problem when emergencies like this arise. Go Ravens!

Re: Ugh I hate this week!!!

I live in Montgomery County, MD. I am attending the Ravens-Falcons affair. I tend to miss a lot of the action in person (not to mention the details/explanations of important plays). So I usually record the game; when I get home, I watch it.

Problem is ........ well, you guessed it, no Baltimore channels on Comcast. I have an old TV which requires a digital converter. I do have a rotary antenna and a converter which is separate from the Comcast converter. So I can switch, right? Problem #2 (ridiculous): The separate converter automatically shuts off after 4 hours. When I discovered that undesirable feature, it was too late to have it replaced. So I'll be lucky if I get to record the first quarter of the game. I hope we win convincingly and it's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Problem is ........ well, you guessed it, no Baltimore channels on Comcast.
    If you can obtain Verizon in Montgomery County, I suggest checking them out. We receive all Baltimore and DC broadcast network channels via Verizon in Anne Arundel County. Sometimes there are 3 NFL games broadcasted simultaneously between the 2 each Foxes and CBS games.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

4. Re: Ugh I hate this week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If you can obtain Verizon in Montgomery County, I suggest checking them out. We receive all Baltimore and DC broadcast network channels via Verizon in Anne Arundel County. Sometimes there are 3 NFL games broadcasted simultaneously between the 2 each Foxes and CBS games.
    It's a nice idea but MoCo is considered a DC only market by Verizon and all others. Anne Arundel is probably far away enough to be considered either market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Before Comcast took over, Cable TV Montgomery was the sole provider when I moved there in 1987. Four Baltimore channels were in the lineup then. They were removed one-by-one to make room for local community-service outlets (their explanation) - you know, the ones nobody watches.

I live in Bethesda and have Verizon, wasn't aware that MASN or CSN would be broadcasting the game.

Decided to just cut the losses and get club tickets :) It's my birthday anyways, haha. Here's to hoping for a Raven's victory!

Quote Originally Posted by altterrain View Post
    and final response from Mr. Dunne-
    That decision is not made by our station but the network
    Hmm, while the ultimate decision is made by the network, from what I understand stations can request a waiver. I wonder if WTTG asked for one? I know in past years waivers have been granted. Fox must want to keep the Little Weasel Snyder happy by not impeding viewership for his losers.

I can either stay home and watch an online stream of the game on my computer (yuck). Or gamble that my father's roof antenna is picking up 45-1 (iffy) on Sunday and watch the game in glorious HD. Dad lives in PG County and sometimes he picks up Baltimore reception no problem -- perfect weather and a bit of luck; sometimes reception is nonexistent-- a cloud in the sky or wind blowing. I'm praying for good weather. WBFF seems to be more temperamental than WJZ. I wonder if their transmitter is more lower-powered.

Oh how I miss the good ole days when Baltimore reception--tv and radio-- was crystal clear down here. Now its hoops and hurdles to tune in most times.

Well I went over to read the boards at 506Forum and noticed "bigskinsfan" wrote this:
    I called WJZ (CBS BAL) and they are showing the WAS/TEN game!! WTTG (FOX DC) which I called and they have requested to show ATL/BAL game and MOST LIKELY it will be DENIED!! I will call again on Friday to confirm again!!
    That answers my query as to whether or not WTTG asked for a waiver. Good on them. At least they tried.

Who is playing on Fox then?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Get rid of the blackout rules. That's why this is happening. The NFL shares revenue equally so it's not as if the Redskins are losing money by showing the Ravens game at the same time. These broadcast rules are part of the NFL blackout rules and need to be changed. They are archaic and ridiculous.
    I agree but that will only happen when they can make more money by getting rid of them than selling NFL Sunday Ticket.

Its all about $$$$$$ they know we will either but the Sunday Ticket or go to a local establishment and watch (who pays for Sunday Ticket).
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

No go at captain benders- no Sunday ticket

Ravens tweeted game is on channel 5 in DC today.