Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Observations of an Excellector

Perhaps, the most obvious observation should be saved for last.

To begin, credit should be given to the coaching staff, as a whole, for adjusting their strategy according, following last weeks loss in Indianapolis. Last week, it was clear that they gave Indianapolis too much respect and took themselves out of what they do best. Instead of running the football and hitting the quick passes, letting the vertical plays come to them, they tried to force the issue, rendering the deeper drops and play-action useless, as Chuck Pagano mercilessly blitzed the blindside with Hurst making his second start.

Yesterday, they got back to what worked for them with the slants and the rush offense. It also helped that Torrey Smith caught the ball. It was nice to see him have a game that would hopefully signal the end of this funk that he's been in. However, as I mentioned in another thread, he's not going to see off coverage for a while. So, going forward, he'll have to show that he can get off the press, judge the ball properly in the air, and come down with it. Otherwise, yesterday's game becomes an anomaly.

Likewise, Hurst will likely be challenged again. Tampa Bay ran a cover 2 with few blitzes, compared to what Hurst saw against Indianapolis. Other teams will look to what Pagano did and attempt to mimick it.

John Urshel had a strong game yesterday, but after seeing how Hurst struggled last week it's best we temper our expectations and see if a repeat performance is in the works. Then again, versus that Atlanta defense, it just might be.

The Baltimore Ravens built a 38-0 lead and, JACOBY JONES STILL FOUND A WAY TO KILL A DRIVE WITH A DROPPED PASS!.

Get him out of here. We need to see more of Campanaro, Aiken and once he gets healthy, more of Brown. It was sad to see Jacoby drop a pass that would have went for a first down, then have the nerve to bitch to the referee for a flag.

Jacoby Jones is the David Tyree of the Baltimore Ravens. He's living off of one moment that we'll never forget and, honestly, if I owned a restaurant he'd eat free forever. However, that's all he is.

I must say that I did like the strategy by Dean Pees. He mixed up the blitzes and the stunts were timed well. However, there are still two concerns that I have going forward. The obvious one is that they are still going to get abused over the intermediate middle area of the field, because teams will continue to abuse our linebackers in that area, particularly Daryl Smith.

The good thing is that when you see Brooks come in a play as well as he did, see Taliaferro come in a play as well as he did, Urshel play as well as he did, it leaves you hesitant to just assume that Arthur Brown doesn't have it. It sounds more and more like they are going to ride Smith until his wheels fall off (I started a thread about this a while back) and that Brown isn't much of a special teamer. Even if he improves in that area, he's essentially competing against guys who played special teams their entire college career.

At the end of the day, nonetheless, he'll need to see the field soon.

The other concern is whether or not Pees will continue the aggressive approach. We've seen him adjust after a loss before, only to revert back to previous strategies. Once more, you could sense that they felt they could do that to Glennon, but will they feel the same against more experienced QBs and better offensive lines?

Last, but as far from least as you can get.

Joe Flacco doesn't NEED the weapon. Does anyone know why?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: The Observations of an Excellector

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Joe Flacco doesn't NEED the weapon. Does anyone know why?
    Joe Flacco IS the weapon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    He is! He really is!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Jacoby Jones is the David Tyree of the Baltimore Ravens. He's living off of one moment that we'll never forget and, honestly, if I owned a restaurant he'd eat free forever. However, that's all he is.

Well, it was more like 3-5 moments, but it's a good analogy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Well, it was more like 3-5 moments, but it's a good analogy.
    Point taken.

He is! He really is!
    That was one of the greatest QB performances in recent memory, against well, a slightly inferior opponent ;) Flacco could do no wrong in this one. His 52 yard bomb to Smith was incredible, he didn't even step into the throw!

The receiving corp as a whole really stepped up their game. So did Flacco. I think the only poor throw I saw all game was missing SSSr on an inside route in the first half, throwing high over the center. It must be tough to adjust throwing to taller receivers like Daniels and Torrey Smith, then smaller receivers like Rice, SSSr, and Jusczcyk. This year Joe Flacco will grab every passing record for our team. The offense is really shaping up nicely. It's such an odd thing to see in Baltimore that it's taken a little adjustment to get used to.

As far as Jacoby Jones, I could see them parting ways with him after the year. Maybe we'll get lucky and trade him to the Jets or the Raiders or something. I think he's given us the best he had, but the truth is he's just really not a refined receiver. He's all physical talent. That makes him a superb return man, but an unreliable receiver. He'll need to either take a pay cut or start returning kicks for touchdowns if he wants to keep that salary. I forget which coach said it today in the post game interviews, but I'm on Jones side as well. I want him to succeed here.

It feels like a thousand years ago that there was a conversation on this site about letting Tyrod Taylor get a chance to start. Yesterday was a reminder of why. Thank the football gods for Joe Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post

Joe is the one WHO KNOCKS....

I was at this hot mess of a game yesterday, and Tampa looked like an uninterested team who would rather be fishing or playing golf.

It was nice having such a big crowd of Ravens fans there and seeing fellow fans in Tampa and Clearwater all weekend for that matter. But it was almost embarrassing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I was at this hot mess of a game yesterday, and Tampa looked like an uninterested team who would rather be fishing or playing golf.

It was nice having such a big crowd of Ravens fans there and seeing fellow fans in Tampa and Clearwater all weekend for that matter. But it was almost embarrassing.
    Did you see any player on the Bucs who was fired up? That team seems to have a huge leadership void

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Did you see any player on the Bucs who was fired up? That team seems to have a huge leadership void
    Their sideline was melting down after we went up 21-0.. a lot of finger pointing and helmet tossing. At 28-0 they were just sitting there in stunned silence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Their sideline was melting down after we went up 21-0.. a lot of finger pointing and helmet tossing. At 28-0 they were just sitting there in stunned silence.
    I know Lovie is a quiet coach on the sidelines but this is the 2nd time they've had a game like this in 2014. He needs to make a statement and start cutting some players.