Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112
  1. Re: Will Torrey be a Raven Next Year?

Watching the game again, I noticed that in the first quarter when Joe threw that long pass (about 68 yards) to Torrey, the one where he narrowly avoided being sacked, Torrey misjudged that throw, underestimating its distance as he took the wrong angle, cutting underneath towards the front of the end zone, when he should have ran straight towards the back of the end zone. Meanwhile the defender followed the ball all the way and nearly picked it off in the back of the end zone, the ball bouncing off his fingertips as Torrey at the last moment turned upfield and dove at the back of the defender to try and prevent the interception. How is Joe supposed to trust Torrey on these deep throws, when the defenders are tracking the ball better than Torrey, who keeps misjudging where the ball is going to come down?

That should have been a TD in the 1st Qtr, but Torrey sucks at tracking Joe's as he keeps underestimating their distance.

Re: Will Torrey be a Raven Next Year?

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Not taking away from the fact that Torrey should have made that catch, but...

My biggest issues is that on 4th down, when you absolutely positively need 3 yards or the game is over...why is that the play we go to? A somewhat deep route to a guy who had already missed 2 easier catches? I don't have an issue with that play if it's 1st through 3rd down, but I would have much rather seen a safer play to get that 1st down.
    I agree under normal circumstances that's not the smartest play, but remember the Ravens had 32secs left with no TOs left at their own 43. If they would have completed a 15yd pass over the middle to Owen (probably the 2nd best option), they would have had to rush up to the line and spiked the ball. That would have left the Ravens about 15 secs from the ~ Colts 42. Again you still need a big low probability pass to get a TD. Torrey singled up against a corner was a good scenario considering the circumstances. Even Rich Gannon circled Torrey's match up pre-snap.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I tought that ball was thrown where it needed to.. for whatever reason it looked like Torrey slowed up to possibly sheild the defender but it was too early resulting in him trying to reach out late and not be able to bring it in. His quote doesnt make much sense. The ball cant go past you if its underthrown.
    An underthrown ball can go past you, if you judge it to be more underthrown than it actually is. I can't judge whether that's the case, but certainly Torrey was in position to make that catch.

The problem, as others have stated, is that he didn't high-point the ball. Instead he did this:
    torrey2.jpg
    Instead of slowing down and climbing the ladder, he stopped his momentum completely, allowing the defender to not only recover, but also get in position to make the catch over Torrey's head. If the ball had landed where Torrey thought it would land, then it would probably have been picked off. Just and inexcusably bad play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    An underthrown ball can go past you, if you judge it to be more underthrown than it actually is. I can't judge whether that's the case, but certainly Torrey was in position to make that catch.

The problem, as others have stated, is that he didn't high-point the ball. Instead he did this:
    torrey2.jpg
    Instead of slowing down and climbing the ladder, he stopped his momentum completely, allowing the defender to not only recover, but also get in position to make the catch over Torrey's head. If the ball had landed where Torrey thought it would land, then it would probably have been picked off. Just and inexcusably bad play.
    :word

And it isn't like he is incapable of getting it done that way...

Everyone remember this play?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Exactly! That was a great adjusment to make a play on the ball. How on earth does it happen that he's no longer able to make such plays?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

The power was in the hair unlike Julio who actually got better after cutting his dreads. Torrey just needs to watch that game over and over again. He is the reason Champ is unemployed today. It was the beginning of the end for both players apparently (hoping not for Torrey).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    at that point its entirely on the WR. To me an under thrown ball is when a WR doesnt slow down and its behind them. If the WR slows down hes adjusting, but if he slows down to the point its past them, they cannot say it was underthrown anymore. They can say they poorly adjusted but not that its underthrown. He needs to take blame or shut up.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Joe actually commented on this. They gave them what they wanted, single coverage, safety Inside, so they took the shot then rather than wait to see if they give it to them again.

I had similar issue with the play call, but after hearing Joes take on it, I cant really complain too much. Id like to have seen them get the 1st and have a nother 2-3 shots but it makes sense why they did if he felt that completion could have gone for 40 yarsd or so which is what they needed with that little time left.
    Thanks, that does make some sense. Like you I can't argue the logic, just regret the execution and wish for 3 more chances.

Blog Entries

I'm confused. Watching that play in real time, it looked like it was underthrown and Torrey had to stop. Watching the replay, it is clear that it wasn't as underthrown as he thought and he didn't have to stop at all. Also, that him stopping alerted the defender to the positioning of the ball. However, you then see that it is out of the reach of the defender, who I THOUGHT tipped it away. Did he tip it or did he just block Torrey's view?

Honestly, when I first saw the replay, I thought that if Torrey had kept stride and let it fall in the bread basket without alerting the defender, he'd have made the catch.

Does anyone have a better explanation of what happened and/or a video of the play?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    If I was to bet on someone, it would be on a player with Torrey's character and talent. He will be a factor this year.
    Just so people know...Torrey was on every single one of my FanDuel teams this week, so I did put my money where my mouth was. I'll be cashing in as well :D