Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another Running Backs Thread

Pierce, Forsett, or Taliaferro?

I think we can all agree so far that Pierce has, unfortunately, been a disappointment, while Forsett and Taliaferro have impressed with the opportunities they've been given. Both have been explosive runners capable of moving the chains, keeping us on schedule in downs, and keeping the defense honest.

That said, who do we rely on more going forward? It saddens me that Pierce is not making the most of what could've been a breakout season for him. (The lone bright spot from the Rice debacle is that coaches made him RB1 and gave him a fair shake.) But the guys behind him have looked very good.

Forsett drove the Steelers crazy, and Taliaferro did the same thing to the Browns. I think it's impressive that a team known for relying on the run (us) could still run effectively--more than effectively!--in an AFC North game (which is naturally going to feature a lot of running, to the surprise of no defensive coordinator).

I feel the coaches should ride the hot hand and give Taliaferro the start against the Panthers. I know that won't happen, since we are historically reluctant to let guys leapfrog over each other on the depth chart despite their talent and production. But I feel like Pierce's grip on the starting job is very much in doubt.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Re: Another Running Backs Thread

Taliaferro should get top snaps IMO with Forsett working in.

Let Pierce fully heal before trotting his arse back out there.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

3. Re: Another Running Backs Thread

You can't expect to make the club when you're constantly sitting in the tub.

Forsett and Taliaferro and maybe Toussaint too (though they cut him again from the PS, he seems to be this years Bajema)

Agree with wicked, let Pierce rest and heal, then use him as the change of pace RB for about 5-7 snaps per game.

Blog Entries

I know it's only one game but I think Taliaferro is the guy. Honestly, not sure it matters as long as the line keeps opening holes big enough to drive a semi through. Just cycle them all and wear the D down.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I'm just not a fan of Pierce...he just seems too soft on the field. For a guy his size, he doesn't finish many runs with contact and goes down too easily. He's good when he can consistently get the edge, but when he needs to read/make holes between the tackles, I'm not impressed.

I really did like Taliaferro...he finished runs like a guy his size should. Forsett is ok...a nice scatback who if you give him a hole he can explode through it, but he isn't as elusive as I'd have liked for a guy with his skillset.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    It's way too early, but everything I've seen from Lorenzo so far, gives me confidence that he can be a franchise back. He actually has a little Jamal Lewis in him...

It would be best for the Ravens if Taliaferro, on his cheap contract, was able to carry the load. I am hoping we see enough from our current RBs that we do not invest a large amount of money or draft capital into finding one this offseason. We have dire needs at WR and TE and CB that have to take priority.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I know it's only one game but I think Taliaferro is the guy. Honestly, not sure it matters as long as the line keeps opening holes big enough to drive a semi through. Just cycle them all and wear the D down.
    I agree. I was really impressed with 'Zo Taliaferro. I think you just go with the hot hand.

Blog Entries

Taliaferro is who you use early, while sprinkling in Pierce. Forsett is who you use later in the game, when the defense is worn down and the holes increase.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    It would be best for the Ravens if Taliaferro, on his cheap contract, was able to carry the load. I am hoping we see enough from our current RBs that we do not invest a large amount of money or draft capital into finding one this offseason. We have dire needs at WR and TE and CB that have to take priority.
    CB is much more of a priority over WR or TE... I don't see how TE is even a dire need tbf. I'd argue that safety is a bigger need than either...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm just not a fan of Pierce...he just seems too soft on the field. For a guy his size, he doesn't finish many runs with contact and goes down too easily. He's good when he can consistently get the edge, but when he needs to read/make holes between the tackles, I'm not impressed.

I really did like Taliaferro...he finished runs like a guy his size should. Forsett is ok...a nice scatback who if you give him a hole he can explode through it, but he isn't as elusive as I'd have liked for a guy with his skillset.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Taliaferro strikes me as a more of a rotational back than a feature back. Ultimately you want your main RB to be able to get to the outside and threaten the D with speed, and also be good in the passing game.

Teams might start clogging the middle vs. Taliaferro, if they do does he have a plan B?

So far, Taliaferro looks good between the tackles, but ultimately you need more than that if you want to be a feature back. Unless he's at a Curtis Martin level, which I don't think he is.