Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 171819

Re: Torrey May Be The Most Disappointing Raven This Year.

From the article on Torrey at Ravens.com:

So with Smith going through the roughest stretch of his career since his rookie year, and Smith also going through some unspecified personal problems, they both leaned on that faith.
    He has seemed sad and distracted. I hope whatever else is out there he finds some happiness.

Blog Entries

He needs to prove that he can perform like that, consistently, against press coverage, because that'll be the last time he sees off coverage for a while.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No one is paying Torrey $6 million a season.
    hes going to get around that. with a down year. If he turns his season around hell likely get north of 7m. hes young, fast, hard working, and a good asset in the community. Teams will pay for those attributes, especially the Ravens.
    -JAB

If ravens make postseason and t smith is a major contributor, he has the advantage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    hes going to get around that. with a down year. If he turns his season around hell likely get north of 7m. hes young, fast, hard working, and a good asset in the community. Teams will pay for those attributes, especially the Ravens.
    If someone pays Torrey "north of 7m", I can 100% money back guarantee you that it will not be the Ravens.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    If someone pays Torrey "north of 7m", I can 100% money back guarantee you that it will not be the Ravens.
    If he gets north of 7m its because he had a good season, despite the slow start. I think the Ravens would absolutely try to retain him if thats the case. There is a gray area if he end up having a bad year what that number would be, but imo theyd still keep him, and likely overpay based on having a bad year. They overpaid Pitta coming off an injury, I cant imagine they wouldnt treat Torrey similar.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I didn't want to start a new Torrey thread, so I am bumping this one. But has anyone noticed that he (and Jacoby for that matter) are not catching the ball with their hands? They are trying to trap it against their bodies. Both TD passes that Torrey dropped, he dropped because he tried to trap the ball against his body. I know the first one he was being interfered with but I still think he could have caught that ball if he wasn't trying to "body catch" it. The second one he dropped is a walk in TD if he catches with hands out in front instead of letting it get into his body.

Hostler may have had some value after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I didn't want to start a new Torrey thread, so I am bumping this one. But has anyone noticed that he (and Jacoby for that matter) are not catching the ball with their hands? They are trying to trap it against their bodies. Both TD passes that Torrey dropped, he dropped because he tried to trap the ball against his body. I know the first one he was being interfered with but I still think he could have caught that ball if he wasn't trying to "body catch" it. The second one he dropped is a walk in TD if he catches with hands out in front instead of letting it get into his body.

Hostler may have had some value after all.
    JJ12 has never been hands catcher.
    Torrey has at times.
    Neither guy is a high-pointer.
    Improving the skill takes time, repetition and dedication.

Also, Devin Street and Tyler Boyd displayed excellent hands at Pitt (Bobby Engram).
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    JJ12 has never been hands catcher.
    Torrey has at times.
    Neither guy is a high-pointer.
    Improving the skill takes time, repetition and dedication.

Also, Devin Street and Tyler Boyd displayed excellent hands at Pitt (Bobby Engram).
    I am not saying Engram isn't a good coach. I am just saying that Hostler, after working with Torrey for a long time, was able to break him of that. With the coaching change Torrey's hands have regressed. No disrespect to anyone. Just an observation.

I am not saying Engram isn't a good coach. I am just saying that Hostler, after working with Torrey for a long time, was able to break him of that. With the coaching change Torrey's hands have regressed. No disrespect to anyone. Just an observation.
    I understand your perspective.

I should not have been so flippant with my comments.
    Honestly, I have no idea if Engram is a good coach; but at the college level, my bias is to praise or blame the coach on how a player's hands progress.
    At the pro level, I focus on the player.

When I think about how pass catchers should develop their hands IMO; in many ways, I draw parallels to how elite military units train (precise execution under a broad set of conditions).
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I look at it this way. Those other offenses Torrey played in prior to Kubiak were basically the same offenses, but this is the first time he has to actually think about what he is doing. He never had good hands, but now he's thinking and playing except just playing. I wouldn't blame Engram on that as he seems to be settling down now.

JJ on the other hand is just playing plain scared and I believe it's of Kubiak, plus he has bad hands. Not a good mix.