Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: How many times did we go deep?

By all means, I dont expect any of you to change your mind about whats going on, because we all have our opinions/agendas here. Many want to blame Billick, I think its the QB and thats apparent when you watch the tape.

As for routes getting ran, and how do I see that when the camera only follows the ball, ummmm you can still see the field.

For instance, on teh crossing route where mcnair threw the pick, its a deep crossing route and the reciever that crossed over the top was the open reciever (it was a flag the WR ran). It was a wide over the top throw but our QB forces it underneath and a defender deptly knows the ball is going underneath. Know how? Because our QB is unwilling to throw anywhere else.

Another route was a short in / button hook Mason ran and McNair sailed the ball. Right before that you can see Demetrius williams run a post corner wide open. But the ball doesn't go there. Nor will it ever.

But I guess since I haven't been to any games yet, my opinion doesn't matter. Figures. I guess only the 65,000 fans at the stadium ever have the view to have an opinion about the routes run.

siiiiiike. Honestly, the routes are there.

PP, this does matter for redzone efficiency. Because the issue with that is there is less real estate to throw and run in, so you need a QB who can use every inch of the field, and can make every throw.

With McNair seemingly unable to scramble like he did 1st half last year, and with an arm that is no longer truly live, he can fit the ball into a tight window without danger of turnover.

So, all we see thrown to are fade routes, skinny posts, and routes shy of the 1st down/ end zone because those are the safe throws McNair will choose to make.

At this point, it'll be interesting to see how long the coaching staff / 2nd half of the fan base is willing to see the offense sink with McNair at the helm.

This sunday is must win, and we should win. But we gotta score pts.

We open it up with Boller, 17 pts in a quarter and a half of action. I admit it was a home game. However, we see McNair against a SHITTY browns defense, and we get 13 pts over teh course of a whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    And one more thing.

This team's problem isn't with the long ball.

We're getting to the red zone with pretty much ease.

That's where the problem lies.

This whole notion about having a major deep threat is a red herring.

That's painfully obvious.

PP
    Untrue. They go hand in hand.

Teams are willing to give us that underneath crap because they know they can squat on it when the lanes tighten in the red zone. If you don't ever pass the ball more than 11 yards down field, then why defend it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Ok...you haven't been to any games, but you know what guys are doing 20 yards downfield.

Thanks Dave, wonderful insight.
    In Dave's defense...there were a few times against Cleveland where Williams WAS open down field.

I remember one time in particular...the safety was showing blitz pre snap, and DID blitz. Now, against a team like the Browns, a safety blitz should open something up for a quick hitter down field. But McNair held on to the ball and got crushed.

A few other times I saw him settle for the underneath Mason, too, while other WRs were deeper. He reminds me of Jordan Steffy.

It's not a bad thing that he can find the open guy, but thats the reason we struggle in the redzone so much. He's afraid to fit it in to a tight space (probably rightfully so) so he settles for the wide open guy. That'll move you between the 20s, as we've seen, but stall you in the red zone every time.

This may be one of our dumber arguments because both sides are right.

Do we run deep routes? Sure, some. Do we throw deep? Uhmmm... not that I've seen. It's been beaten into our QBs heads, "Don't be a hero, just move the chains."

In all fairness the NFL isn't played like Madden. And I just proved my own theory wrong. Damn I hate when I do that. Right now the Cowboys are number one with 19 pass plays over 20 yards. We have five. That's not taking into account how many of theirs are short completions with broken tackles (hate him all you want, but TO is one of the best in the league at that).

We're not going deep. If its because McNair can't, or Billick won't I can't say.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I just want to point out to Tex Ritter that during today's game against the 49ers that D. Williams was wide open down field on a deep route at least once. McNair just missed him and overthrew him. I know McNair has better numbers and is probably the better QB but right now I don't believe he gives us the best opportunity to win. Unless he can get his throws under control I would prefer Boller in the game right now.
    I have said this to several of the people I go to games with, "I trust McNair with the game on the line and in the big games, but Boller right now can give us an aspect I believe McNair is missing." I still don't believe that McNair is 100% healthy. As soon as he is then he should be the starter but otherwise Boller should take snaps. A 100% Boller is better then a 75% McNair and the switch must be made.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    This may be one of our dumber arguments because both sides are right.

Do we run deep routes? Sure, some. Do we throw deep? Uhmmm... not that I've seen. It's been beaten into our QBs heads, "Don't be a hero, just move the chains."

In all fairness the NFL isn't played like Madden. And I just proved my own theory wrong. Damn I hate when I do that. Right now the Cowboys are number one with 19 pass plays over 20 yards. We have five. That's not taking into account how many of theirs are short completions with broken tackles (hate him all you want, but TO is one of the best in the league at that).

We're not going deep. If its because McNair can't, or Billick won't I can't say.

I agree. The bottom line is this, IMO. There is a difference between the 4 yard passes that Boller completes and the 4 yard passes that McNair completes. Just look at the Arizona game. If you think that McNair can make the 3rd and 2 pass that Boller chucked to Mason, you haven't been watching the Ravens the last 2 years. It was only 4 yards, but it wasn't a small hook route and the receiver waited for a floating ball.

Never in a million years thought i'd say this, but Boller is better at hitting receivers in stride at this point.