Will Hill, Rolado McLain and "Blood and Guts Everywhere"

Hey all.

I've been tied up with work so I really haven't gotten to contribute as much as I would like - I'll try to rectify this. So, first off I'd like to say hello to my like-minded brethren out there.... HELLO! I look forward to making some new acquaintances and possibly even a couple new pals.

Will Hill - so I know it was his third violation of the substance abuse policy, but does anyone have any clue as to whether or not he will receive a reduced suspension given the new agreement? Any clues as to when they (NFL) will make this decision?

Rolando McLain - it sure looks like Ozzie is going to pull another rabbit outta the old hat. Albeit only compensation will be a 6th (i think), but what a great move that was - sending a broken player to a defenseless team in order to actually achieve the playing time required to activate the compensation for McLain. The real crazy part is McLain has been a huge part in actually keeping the Dallas defense looking respectable. Looks like it might turn out to be a win-win for all parties involved - even Rolando.

"Blood and Guts Everywhere"

So I posted this on the intro section.... so I will post it here in the hopes of getting a few more views/replies....
    "So as my handle would indicate I am Canadian - yes, there are a few of us who love NFL football up here.... it's quite the obsession for some of us.

I've been a fan since the Boller era, so no, I am not a bandwagon fan.... I've always appreciated the defensive side of the game much more then the flip side thus my gravitation towards the Ravens.

Attended my first game last year in Miami. It was amazing to see the Ravens "claim home field advantage" at Sun Life and I'm looking forward to this season. I loved conversing with all the Bmore fans at the game - some of the most down to earth and friendly people I have ever had the pleasure to spend time with (having a common interest doesn't hurt). Before the game was even over it was official - I WAS HOOOOOOKED!

When I went to the game I actually had my old lady (no she is not old and does not slap me for calling her my "old lady"), my best friend (huge Dolphins fan) his girlfriend and believe it or not, my Mom and Sister actually came to the game as well. My Mom and Sister live in a different province than I so to stay connected they decided to jump on the Ravens Bandwagon at the beginning of the 2012 season (go figure) - a way that we could have a mutual interest I suppose.

So since the game ended I have slowly been making my plans for my next Ravens game... and it looks like it's going to be plural this year - as in Ravens' Games... Already bought my tix for December 7th in Miami and am now looking forward to seeing "Blood and Guts everywhere".

My first choice would've been to hit up the Steelers or Bengals @ Ravens, but Im a school teacher and buggering off that early in the school year wouldn't fly too well..... so "Blood and Guts" will have to do.

Being relatively new to attending NFL games I'm looking for my brother's and sister's to the south to help a brother out in A) having a good time, B) sourcing tickets at reasonable prices and C) where to stay while in Baltimore.

I want to tailgate - this has been a dream only visible through they eyes of a camera thus far.... I NEED YOUR HELP in realizing this dream guys and gals!

Anyway, I'd like to say a big HELLO to my like-minded friends out there and hopefully some of you will take pity on a Ravens-loving-Canadian and help a fella out!"

So..... I have the tickets figured out - 3 rows behind Ravens bench.... Cost an arm and leg, but I'll be in my glory, so no worries there. I have booked a hotel that is pretty much a stones throw from Camden/M&T... so I'm good there too.

Only worried about the "things you have to do while in Baltimore" - where to eat, where to visit, etc etc.... Also really want to sidle up to some of you good folks and experience what a home team tailgate actually looks/feels like.

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts you provide!

Look forward to conversing/arguing with you all!

GO RAVENS!

Blog Entries

Re: Will Hill, Rolado McLain and "Blood and Guts Everywhere"

A year ago August I was traveling through the Balkans & spent a couple of days in the picturesque Montenegrin town of Kotor. One afternoon I was on the main square, wearing my gray Super Bowl XLVII Champions Baltimore Ravens hat & a matching T-shirt, & I saw a young fellow on the other side of the plaza in full Oakland Raiders regalia. I figured he must be a Yank from the cruise ship that had just come in & I wandered over to congratulate him on representing his team so well.

Turned out he was from Alberta. But a dedicated Raiders fan nonetheless.

(I said to him, Why don't you come on over to the dark side?--& we looked at one another & I then muttered, I don't believe I just said that to a Raiders fan...)

Anyhow, welcome aboard & hang on for dear life, looks like the year's gonna be a helluva wild ride. Can't offer you much advice in terms of tickets or hotels--for the latter you might keep an eye on websites like hotels.com for deals once you settle on a game, then check with us before making any irrevocable arrangements.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by winnipegraven View Post
    Only worried about the "things you have to do while in Baltimore" - where to eat, where to visit, etc etc....
    Prepare for a lengthy discussion on crab cakes. I don't usually order crab cakes at restaurants (which isn't to say that it's a bad idea), so I'll defer that discussion to someone else.

A very general guide to parts of Baltimore:

Inner Harbor/Downtown
    This is the "touristy" section of the city. Most of the restaurants in the Inner Harbor are chains. The National Aquarium there is considered one of the best in the country, if that's something you're interested in.

My wife and I really like the B&O American Brasserie if you're looking for a nice meal downtown, but it's more of a nice place to sit down and have a meal with your wife. I wouldn't recommend it for a rowdy and/or inexpensive night out (not that it's super expensive or anything).

Fed Hill
    South of the inner harbor. Most people describe it as having more of a 'frat party' feel if you go bar hopping there. There's plenty of decent bars and restaurants there if you're looking for something close to the downtown/stadium area.

Little Italy
    East of the inner harbor. It's there if you want a nice sit down meal at a non-chain Italian restaurant. Vaccaros is a hit with some people. It's an 'Italian Pastry Shop' chain that specializes in (mostly huge) desserts (I'm not even sure if they offer main courses). I'm guessing that someone who knows Little Italy better could suggest something more authentic, but it can be fun for the novelty.

Harbor East
    East of downtown along the water (just south of Little Italy). Nice restaurants mostly. There's some boutique shopping that might entertain your wife/mom/sister. But it won't be cheap.

Fells Point
    East along the water from Harbor East. Another good area for bars, but better atmosphere than Fed Hill with cobblestone streets, location on the water, and just generally a different vibe.

There are plenty of other neighborhoods. Canton is further east still from Fells Point and has two of my favorite restaurants in the city, Jacks and Salt. There are tons of bars there as well, many of them on or around Canton Square. North of downtown is Mt. Vernon which has lots of nice restaurants featuring food from all over the world.

If you're looking for more specific suggestions on bars/restaurants/lodging this thread with a Packers fan from last season had a ton of recommendations/discussion.

Local-ish beers
    For area craft beers, my favorite is actually a Delaware company, Dogfish Head. They have plenty of national distribution (although I have no idea if they're in Canada), but they're my favorite craft brewer and they're not far away so you'll easily find their product in MD. Most bars and restaurants that carry them offer the "60-Minute IPA." It's good, but to me Dogfish is at their best with some of their more adventurous darker ales. The more common ones that you'd might to find at a bar with a wider beer selection are "Raison d'Etre" and "Indian Brown Ale".

Some notable Maryland craft brewers are Flying Dog (Fredrick, Maryland transplanted from Colorado), Heavy Seas, and Union (still very small/young). Of the three Flying Dog is my favorite, but I've had good beers from all of them.

The local cheap beer of choice is National Bohemian known as "Natty Boh" by the locals. It's not actually made in Maryland anymore, but it's still considered a Baltimore tradition.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 09-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.

I'll let the others fill you in on the best eats and things around town but I wanted to chime in and welcome you to the forum :)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven — and I’m a Baltimore Raven – what I think of is we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. “That’s the Baltimore Raven way, that’s the bully way, and that’s football.” - Steve Smith Sr.

thanks for the responses all - keep em coming!

Anything in regards to tailgating?

of course I post this thread and minutes later I notice..... "Cowboys MLB Rolando McClain (groin) is listed as doubtful for Week 3."

If you would like to join the unofficial tailgate of RSR, then feel free to find us at the corner of Wicomico & Ostend Streets, on the grass lot. You can PM me and I'll give you more details.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    If you would like to join the unofficial tailgate of RSR, then feel free to find us at the corner of Wicomico & Ostend Streets, on the grass lot. You can PM me and I'll give you more details.
    Alright GKB, this dude and whoever he brings needs to be at our tailgate.
    Get his ass there!!
    Might have to get Mrs. Fanatic to do some crabdip if he decides he wants to come.

Canadian dude,
    What section are you sitting in three rows behind the bench?
    I sit in the same area 5 rows back and usually the rows in front of me are often somebody different every game.
    You might have those seats.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

If you care to visit a few tailgate spots, PM me. I am at a lot on Ostend and Hamburg Streets.
    Captain Offense

Hey guys..... Thanks for the responses/offers..... I tried to PM you's, but I think my account is still to new or I don't have enough posts to send PM's yet - help!

Mr.Fanatic - I'm not totally sure... I'll check the section/seat #'s when I get home..... You can get the Mrs. to crank out some crab dip - this guy will definitely be there! That's actually something I have never tried before. :ww:

Thanks again for all your responses and hospitality.... getting so EXCITED!!!!! can't wait to be in B'more with all you fine folks!

I was thinking about possibly going to a College FB game on Saturday.... but looks like the Terps are outta town next week.

P.S - can we start the tailgate on Saturday?