NFL Concussion protocol

For those that were able to watch the Bengals game, Vontze Burfict was "woozy" after several plays. It was the same against the Ravens when Burfict got concussed by Joe's "man hammer"! He was wobbly a lot.

But yesterday the announcers kept stating that he has passed all concussion protocols and is still allowed to play, yet it looks like he is playing himself into a case of vegetable soup.

Cincycat...what are they saying locally about this? Anyone else notice this?

Blog Entries

Re: NFL Concussion protocol

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDavey View Post
    For those that were able to watch the Bengals game, Vontze Burfict was "woozy" after several plays. It was the same against the Ravens when Burfict got concussed by Joe's "man hammer"! He was wobbly a lot.

But yesterday the announcers kept stating that he has passed all concussion protocols and is still allowed to play, yet it looks like he is playing himself into a case of vegetable soup.

Cincycat...what are they saying locally about this? Anyone else notice this?
    It's been a huge topic here. Most fans think he should sit next game out and along with the bye week it would give him a chance to get healthy.

He actually left the game with a stinger. The kid REALLY wants to play, but he should probably rest for a few weeks to keep from hurting himself beyond repair. It's a big concern.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

It's supposed to be a doctor's decision now; not up to anyone on the team or coaching staff. If he's cleared, he's cleared. I'm not sure what test they use; maybe that should be examined. But based on the current protocol, he allegedly passed the tests

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

What I would like to know is if these are tests that can be "faked".

Doctor or not being the final verdict, players are going to do whatever it takes to stay on the field because being on the field = bigger $$$.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What I would like to know is if these are tests that can be "faked".

Doctor or not being the final verdict, players are going to do whatever it takes to stay on the field because being on the field = bigger $$$.
    "OK son breathe on this mirror. Did it fog up? You're cleared".

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    "OK son breathe on this mirror. Did it fog up? You're cleared".
    Lol, something like that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Former OL Joe Walter said today the old protocol was to hold your hands up like a boxer and ask if you were ok. Most guys would say "sure" out of pride.

He said it wasn't uncommon for guys to play the next 2 or 3 plays and not remember a bit of it. The old "rub some dirt on it" mentality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Former OL Joe Walter said today the old protocol was to hold your hands up like a boxer and ask if you were ok. Most guys would say "sure" out of pride.

He said it wasn't uncommon for guys to play the next 2 or 3 plays and not remember a bit of it. The old "rub some dirt on it" mentality.
    Joe Walter was a real tough guy. One of the best Right Tackles that I've ever seen. That guy played through some brutal leg problems. If anyone was saying he was okay it was Joe Walter, and Max Montoya who used to play next to him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Joe Walter was a real tough guy. One of the best Right Tackles that I've ever seen. That guy played through some brutal leg problems. If anyone was saying he was okay it was Joe Walter, and Max Montoya who used to play next to him.
    He told a story about Dave Rimington, and YES, it was Max Montoya who told him he was OK. Ha!

Joe said Max & him did that for each other all season long. Tough group of guys.