Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Eli Done in New York?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    The second half of Billick's tenure was one long string of disappointments:

2004: After being at 7-3, the team went 2-4 down the stretch (including a 4th quarter collapse at home to the Bengals) to miss the playoffs.

2005: The team started slow (2-7). This season will always for me be associated with one game: The 12-10 loss at Denver. It remains to me one of the most frustrating games as a fan. This is the game that Boller turned the ball over 3 times within the Denver 25 yard line, including once when he rolled out of the pocket and just dropped the ball. It signaled to many - including maybe Newsome - that Boller was not the answer at QB and the team had "busted" on its 1st round QB.

2006: With McNair at QB and a top 5 defense the Ravens were primed for another SB run, but they suffered what was arguably their worst playoff loss. Holding Peyton Manning to zero TDs and his lowest passer rating of the season, the offense committed mis-step after mis-step at home and lost 15-10.

2007: At one point 4-2, the team lost 9 of their last ten including a loss to the winless Dolphins. It was a game where Billick frustrated many fans and his own players, and may have sealed his fate in Bisciotti's mind, by not going for the TD on 4th and goal from the 1/2 yard line.

It was a long, slow, frustrating decline from Billick's best years: 1999-2003.
    That's the point. We expect more here than teams like the Bengals who have the same coach for a 12 years with no playoff wins in all that time. If we felt that what Billick didn't wasn't good enough there is no way we would accept 4 years of missing the playoffs without change like many here think the Giants will do. Ravens fans would be the first ones expecting a fresh start under those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    This is true. I would say at least half the quarterbacks in the league are below average. ;)
    Haha! Nice catch. What I meant was below the average competency we generally assume is needed to keep a team competitive. ... But I know you knew that and are just messing with me. ;)
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Ain't no way Eli is playing next year at his cap number. The question is whether they renegotiate and keep him, or ditch him.
    His cap number isn't any worse next year than it is now, actually a little better (20.4M in 2014, 19.75M in 2015)

Obviously they'd prefer to get that down, but he's playing in the last year of his contract, so that's gonna make it pretty difficult: Short of just asking him to take an outright pay-cut, they can't renegotiate that cap number down without extending him. Which they'll do if they still see him as the QB of the future. If they just want him as a stop-gap for one more year while they look for other options, they're kinda stuck.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    His cap number isn't any worse next year than it is now, actually a little better (20.4M in 2014, 19.75M in 2015) Obviously they'd prefer to get that down, but he's playing in the last year of his contract, so that's gonna make it pretty difficult: Short of just asking him to take an outright pay-cut, they can't renegotiate that cap number down without extending him. Which they'll do if they still see him as the QB of the future. If they just want him as a stop-gap for one more year while they look for other options, they're kinda stuck.
    I wasn't really clear in what I was saying. In my opinion, their options are 1) extend him if he is your guy for the next four years or so, or 2) cut him loose and save that cap money, They certainly could keep him for one year at $19MM; I just don't see any sense in doing it.
    "Chin up, chest out."